Author Topic: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)  (Read 7442 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

All,
As promised, here is my next card model.  This one if from a different designer that I've had good luck with (Marek) and the repaint by Marco.  I think I may do a video series accompanying this one since I built Marek's Bf-109E a while back so this would be a nice WWI subject to try for comparison.  Plus, it's got some nice curves (translated: may be difficult!) and some tough angles to get like the lower wing to fuselage point.  A nice challenge!  ::)

So far, just printed out on 67 lb. card stock A4 size and coated with clear acrylic (flat).  Ready to start putting parts onto wood.

This darn stuff is just too much fun.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

Re: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
Dan, I'll be following this one closely, and it should be a great learning experience.  I would enjoy another video series.  Looking forward to seeing how you deal with those compound curves! :o

How do you apply the flat acrylic coat?  Airbrush or brush?  How does the paper hold up? 

Good luck!  This will be fun for all involved.  ;D

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
Hi Bob...

I just use Krylon or something similar from the can.  Lasts a long time and gives a nice coat.  Makes it so you can scrape off errant tacky glue blobs you get on the pretty parts.  Won't leave any (or very light) blemishes!

And it protects the ink jet color too.  The paper holds up just fine and the acrylic dries super fast anyway.

I think a video series could be fun...just be a slower process!

Dan

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »
Hi Dan ...

Lately, I've only been using coated paper on both sides.
I found some of satisfactory quality, weights 120 and 200 gr./mq.
The colors remain more intense, especially black.
I still don't know how long they keep these qualities.
I get the best print quality if I set the printer for the glossy photo.

Marco

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:19:34 PM »
Dan and Marco, thanks for sharing these technical bits of information.  It's very helpful to we neophytes who are looking to get more involved in paper modeling. ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:34:22 PM »
As always I will follow with great interest and amazement!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:50:09 PM »
Hello All...

This will be a fun one.  I found a thread for this very model (in other colors) from 2018 and there seem to be some places to watch for, but nothing insurmountable.  I hope that's true!  ;D

Marco: I have never coated both sides before and I'll try that at some point.  I tend to print mine on "normal" quality and "plain paper" and like the results thus far.  I did have your Berg Scout printed at a local office supply store and it was just lovely.  I may start doing that from now on.  Still only costs pennies to print the sheets!

More soon...Dan

Re: Pfalz D-IIIa 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
Got the engine done! It took some real head-scratching for some of the details as the directions are sort of not there and some of the numbers are incorrect.  However, I tried to make it as the kit intended with the only problem being that it isn't really all that accurate.  Some of the manifold piping is wrong (I think) and I really have no idea what that disc on the front of the engine is...although I did find some photos of the real engine and I think I know where the designer was coming from.  It would have been hard to add valve springs as well due to the design without making a completely new top end, so I left it alone.

I only added the manifold pipes from stretched sprue, spark plugs and wires and the wire guide on each side.  The engine is kind of out in the breeze so it makes sense to take some time to doll it up even if it's more "steam punk" than accurate.  In the end, it's a nice busy top end and will look cool with an exhaust and radiator tubing attached!

More soon...Dan
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:20:43 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
That looks cool!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
Dan, are you sure that's not a WNW engine, well-weathered?  It looks gorgeous, just like Marco's engine on the Farman.  Is it real, or is it Memorex?  (Variation on the cassette tape commercials from the 1970s). ;D  Great modeling! 

Best,

Bob

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 03:40:21 AM »
Thanks Gazza and Bob!

I took a break and did a couple of easy pieces...the tails.  They have a small bit of internal structure to give some heft and to keep the two sides from gluing together too flatly.  With a little sanding around the edges, all is well!

More soon...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 04:42:41 AM »
Really nice job on those tail feathers Dan and I do like the engine even though it does look odd  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Radarman

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 02:32:48 PM »
Dan,
This is sure to be another great one. Who needs a 3-D printer. Taking a 2-D object and creating a 3-D model gets the job done.
This is just fantastic to me.
                                                 Thanks for sharing,
                                                                     Kevin
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Thanks, Terri and Kevin!  And Kevin...your latest 1/28th Fokker is amazing.  I just saw that and don't know how I missed it! 
I trust you guys are ok in PO and still loving more relaxed days!  My daughter's long-time boy friend lives there so I suspect we'll be spending more time there in the near future... ;).  Poor thing is stuck in Puyallup!

I got the cockpit done and started fitting all the fuselage skins to the balsa formers.  These are all just friction fit for now to make sure things will line up.  Little bits are sanded here, sanded there...and you end up with a nice final product.  In this case, this is the first paper model I've made that just butt joins the fuselage formers to each other.  This is a bit dicey to me as the matches need to be very, very accurate or you get an unsightly lump or Grand Canyon gap.  On the other models I've made with convex bodies, you use formers and tabs and the tabs allow skins to slide together.  Hard to explain but this one needs extra care.  So my skins are glued, but the cross section shapes are just fitting for show! 

Steady as she goes! 

More soon...Dan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:01:49 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 08:45:12 PM »
Looking good Dan, and cruising right along.  I'm sure you'll be up to the challenge of those butt joints; I'd be nervous!   Looking forward to seeing that graceful curvy Pfalz fuselage coming together for you.  This looks like an interesting and fun build.  Carry on!

Best,

Bob