Author Topic: Coronavirus Lockdown Stalled Build: SH 1/32 Nie.11-Jean Navarre No. 872  (Read 7003 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Looks very nice so far! I'll be watching closely, as I have the Nie.16.
Does anyone know if the resin engine is correct for that one, or does that come with a different engine?
It’s a 110HP le Rhone, it looks differently from the 89HP and the resin engine in the 16 kit is also another one which looks way better.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas!
==================

And some great work on converting the Academy engine! :)

Offline Monty

Lovely work on the engine Bob! It looks quite authentic - and beautiful in the cowling! I'm glad there is good progress here... Regards, Marc.

Offline rhallinger

I am posting some state-of-the-build photos just to show that i am still at it and making some very deliberate progress.  I am mostly cleaning up small details, getting bits painted and planning what needs to happen before i can get the wings on this bird.  Time-consuming and not a lot of photos of forward progress, but it is inching forward.  Fuselage is now red and weathered, struts are all trimmed and ready for paint, rudder has decals applied, air induction tubes are made and painted, Alkan synchronized Lewis is lifted from the CSM Early Nie.17 kit, tail skid added and painted, oil and gas filler caps made and added, and . . . Gee, I guess i've done more than I thought! ;)  Here is where thimgs stand as of this morning:

N11: 5/17/20 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

N11: 5/17/20 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

N11: 5/17/20 by
Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Getting there slowly but surely.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

Got a little more done this morning.  I think I have the mojo to get this one done finally, at least until the wing mounting turns into a fiasco. ;)

Speaking of which, I am currently trying to decide on post-shading the ribs, chalk or Tamiya smoke airbrushed, both over masked ribs.  I did the left lower wing with chalk, but maybe should have used a darker color, and the right lower wing with Tamiya smoke--much more subtle.  Any opinions out there before I decide?

Note the total absence of any locating holes for the cabane struts on the fuselage deck.  Not even a mild indent for location!  Also, the front cabanes had a perpendicular bottom, to be mounted on that steeply sloping front deck just aft of the cowling and above the stitching.  A good deal of sanding on the bottom of the cabanes was required to get a closer angle for flush mounting with the cabanes sticking straight up. :o

Thanks!  Take care everyone.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Stunning , well done so far Bob . I would say you have made great progress on this . I do like how how the red turned out on the fuselage most excellent  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline fixman

indeed very nice especially the camo ...  good job here

Offline Monty

Ooh! some nice modelling there! The red fuselage looks really good, the rudder too! Marc.

Offline rhallinger

Thanks Terri, fixman and Monty.  You are too kind, and it is appreciated.

I decided to go with darker weathering chalk for the rib shading, rather than Tamiya smoke through the airbrush, so I washed off the lighter chalk from the one lower wing, taped the ribs on all wings with Tamiya yellow tape cut into strips, and chalked away with a makeup brush.  Looked pretty good to my eye so I sprayed on a coat of semi-gloss clear to fix and protect it all, and on we go to next locating and drilling the strut holes and eyelet holes for the rigging.  Progress!

I'm getting close to running out of other things to do on this, so I'll have to begin air frame assembly soon.  I think I'll need to create a jig from scrap to keep the fuselage straight and support the lower wings in the proper position.  I replaced the plastic locater pins in the wings with brass wire, but it's still a very weak joint.  In hindsight, I should have installed a brass tube across the bottom of the fuselage interior to accept longer brass rod pins from the lower wing roots, but that ship has sailed (or is "that plane has flown" more appropriate? ::)).  I'll have to rely of the jig, and maybe some clear epoxy to strengthen that joint when the time comes.  Until then . . .

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Nice job on the shading  8)

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Thats coming along very nicely

Steve

Offline rhallinger

Thanks Terri and Steve!  I seem to have regained motivation to see this one through.  Of course, now that I've gotten this far, I found a great article on building this kit by Mike "Sandbagger" Norris which I had printed out long ago and then forgot.  Had I remembered (or found) this article earlier. I might have just have followed Mike's advice from his experience and I likely would have avoided a few pitfalls.  Oh well, I'll do that on the next one of these I build! 

I am now into the Memorial Day weekend pause from modeling, so I thought I'd bring this up to date since nothing further will happen for a bit.  The last few days have involved several small but necessary items in detailing the fuselage, getting the tail feathers in place and locating and drilling the strut holes and holes for rigging eyelets in all components and parts, along with gluing the eyelets in place and adding wire pins to the struts.  Tedious non-photogenic work, but essential to moving the build forward.  Here's where we are:

You may note that I have chosen to paint the horizontal stabilizer and elevators red, as opposed to matching the camo of the wings, which I have seen done in some builds of 872.  I reached this decision for a several reasons.  Foremost, I am relying on a Ronny Bar profile of 872 which shows the tail as red; who am I to question Mr. Bar's research? ;)  Second, Navarre's Nie.11 No. 1130 had a red fuselage, and its tail planes were painted red also; makes some sense that this motif would be consistent.  Third, when I did the wing camo painting many months ago, I did not paint the tail planes at the same time; had I thought they were camo, I think I would have painted them along with the wings.  Fourth, there is no photographic evidence I know of to conclusively support either scheme for the tail planes.  Finally, I am theorizing that perhaps 872 appeared both ways.  My idea is that the fuselage was painted red first, and the tail planes got painted red at a later time.  This last rationale is particularly helpful, since I managed to forget which red paint I used on the fuselage and grabbed a different bottle of red from another manufacturer when I painted the stabilizer and elevators, so the shade is slightly different from the fuselage. :o  I was not going to repaint anything at this point, so the later painting story works well to explain the slight shade difference, as the paint used at the front could have varied a bit as stocks were replaced at the aerodrome.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ::)  As dear departed WNW was fond of stating in their beautiful model descriptions: "WWI colour schemes are contentious at the best of times . . ." ;D         

It will soon be time to construct a jig to help support attachment of the lower wings.  That will be a big step, about which I am somewhat nervous.  First though, I will rig the tail and ad the stabilizer struts to finish off the rear of the aircraft, and ad the Lewis gun and windscreen to the front deck to finish it off.  Getting closer now, and I am very pleased with how much I have accomplished on moving this build forward in only two weeks since I resumed,  Take care everyone, and to those of you here in the US: enjoy Memorial Day weekend while taking a moment to remember those who gave the last full measure in service to their country. 

Cheers,

Bob   

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Bob,
    I had a good chuckle when I read your rationale for the red scheme on the tail surfaces of this one. It's refreshing to see the shift in approaches to decoding WWI Aircraft color schemes over the past several years and the associated "one and only correct experts approach" to the subject. I would add emphasis on the "it's your model so use your best interpretation logic to the function.
   That having been said lovely job thus far. What reds have you used?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

Thanks Lance.  Having also been an O scale model railroader previously, i have an eclectic assortment of paints, and i use whatever is at hand and hasn't dried up, and looks good to my eye.  The fuselage is an old Pollyscale Soo Line Red.  By the time i got around to the tail planes, i had forgotten and grabbed the nearest red to the paint booth, a Vallejo Red.  Pretty close, but the Vallejo is darker and a true red, while the Pollyscale tends toward a more orange tint.  They both look fine to me!

Best,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

I got the tail rigged last night without too much drama, save for having to relocate the PE control horns on the top (ummm, as I went to pull a bit of Uschi elastic thread to the top elevator horn, it dawned on me that the horn at the back of the horizontal stabilizer probably wouldn't help much with elevator control--duh :o).  I suspect Covid lock-down brain drain, as I find my mind getting a bit foggier the longer this goes on.  I am prescribing additional daily doses of modeling to improve my brain function! ;D  Got nothing to do with jellyfish, but it's a heck of a lot more fun than popping supplements! ;)

Anyway, after surprisingly easily relocation of the horns to the elevator and making some minor cosmetic repairs, the rigging was completed swiftly.  Here is the tail all done:

I'll move on to the front fuselage deck next, adding the windscreen and Lewis gun to finish up the front end.  Then it's on to the wings! :o  I may have to do a little adjustment on my attachment points there.  I'll get it sorted.  Have to build a jig then.

Cheers,

Bob 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:09:44 AM by rhallinger »

Offline Borsos

What a beauty. I am keen on seeing her wings spread and on her legs.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.