Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Swap Shop  (Read 3568 times)

Dekenba1

Wingnut Wings Swap Shop
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:28:11 AM »
I am wondering whether there is an appetite amongst the forum for the swapping of a few Wingnut Wings kits for other Wingnut Wings kits.

For instance, I am trying to get hold of a Sopwith Triplane - original boxing, or Collishaws, I'm not fussy! - , an early Halberstadt, a Gotha G.I, Albatros B.II, Pfalz D.XII and possibly a Junkers D.I, but I'm not paying the hugely inflated - and stupid - prices being paid now.

I could sell a kit for said stupid inflated prices, but I really don't feel comfortable doing so.

So I thought if I swapped a WNW kit for another, we'd both end up filling holes in our stash without overpaying.

I've got several kits where I have duplicates, plus various versions of the essentially same airframe. These would be sacrificed for the greater modelling good, with my "excess" kits matching holes in your stash, and your "excess" kits matching holes in my stash.

Any thoughts on this please, gentlemen (and ladies)? Any interest, or should I start saving now to get a $500 Sopwith Pup in a year or two?

Any swaps would ideally be limited to the same country, or continent, such are the shipping costs these days.

I thought about offering non WNW kits, but I honestly can't think of anyone who wants to trade away their WNW kits?

Online James

Wingnut Wings Swap Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:06:04 AM »
I think it's a great idea?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Swap Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:29:20 AM »
   I agree with James, this idea has a lot of merit, should be a "win/win outcome, and importantly leaves the online profiteers out in the cold! What Kits might be on offer from your side of the deal?
Cheers,
Lance

Online James

Wingnut Wings Swap Shop
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:33:40 AM »
I'm in the U.S. would we want to keep it U.S. TO U.S. , or something similar to keep shipping down?

James

Dekenba1

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
I think keeping deals in the same country or continent is a must for most deals. Every now & again somebody will be desperate for a kit & will pay the extra shipping to get it from Sydney to Washington or something.

My duplicates:

SE.5a;
DH.9a Ninak;
Albatros D.V;
             D.Va;
             D.Va (OAW);
Albatros "Jasta 5"
Felixstowe (Early or late);
Bristol F.2b;
Jeannin Stahltaube;
Fokker D.VII (Fok or Alb or OAW or F)
Hannover Cl.II;
HB W-12;
Junkers J1;
Roland D.VIb;
LVG C.VI;
Pfalz D.IIIa;
Fe.2b Late;
RE.8 Harry Tate;
Rumpler C.IV Early;
Sopwith Dolphin;
Sopwith Snipe Late;
Sopwith Camel - any;

I also have non-duplicates that I could always trade, and over 30 1/32 Roden kits, if you want an early Albatros or something French.

Thanks guys!

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 09:42:22 AM »
I think this is a great idea.
There are no doubt a few people like me who have WNW kits they would happily trade for that special kit they never managed to get.
Let m have a look in the garage

Marcus

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:30:26 AM »
Okay folks... the idea of a Wingnuts trade for trade arrangement is good but this is an international modelling community forum and we have a firm policy that any deals are offered to all of our members, not just those of a specific country.

This is a non-negotiable matter.

Yes, postage costs are brutal but they are a fact of modern life. However if people are willing to bear the postage costs to get a kit they desire, then it should not be an issue.

People who want to restrict deals to specific countries cannot do so on this Forum. Any such posts will be deleted in future.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 04:59:29 PM »
Okay folks... the idea of a Wingnuts trade for trade arrangement is good but this is an international modelling community forum and we have a firm policy that any deals are offered to all of our members, not just those of a specific country.

Yes, postage costs are brutal but they are a fact of modern life. However if people are willing to bear the postage costs to get a kit they desire, then it should not be an issue.

People who want to restrict deals to specific countries cannot do so on this Forum. Any such posts will be deleted in future.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

100% correct, Dave.
I'm more than happy to pay for international shipping if it means I get the one kit I crave and isn't available in my neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Bob  8)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 05:29:58 PM »

100% correct, Dave.
I'm more than happy to pay for international shipping if it means I get the one kit I crave and isn't available in my neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Bob  8)

It's not the international postage that's the problem, Bob, it's the taxman. I've received several models from the US, clearly marked as "gifts" but in every case, they have been held at customs and a ransom note for VAT and handling fee (usually about 30GBP in total) issued. Pleas of increasing desperation have been ignored and in one case a model returned as I refused to be extorted.

I would have liked to swap something for a certain kit but if it were coming from outside Europe I couldn't do it as I know I'd get a Parcel Farce ransom note to pay before I'd get my kit, no matter how large the "GIFT" markers.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »

100% correct, Dave.

Cheers,
Bob  8)

It's not the international postage that's the problem, Bob, it's the taxman. I've received several models from the US, clearly marked as "gifts" but in every case, they have been held at customs and a ransom note for VAT and handling fee (usually about 30GBP in total) issued. Pleas of increasing desperation have been ignored and in one case a model returned as I refused to be extorted.

I would have liked to swap something for a certain kit but if it were coming from outside Europe I couldn't do it as I know I'd get a Parcel Farce ransom note to pay before I'd get my kit, no matter how large the "GIFT" markers.

Unfortunately the forum cannot account for the taxes of various countries; I dare say it's up to the individual to understand what import taxes pertain to their respective countries and account for that in considering any sales they wish to pursue. We here in Australia suffer from three things - a poor dollar conversion rate, high postage rates, and a Goods and Services Tax, so believe me when I say that I understand taxes and international trading can be frustrating. However, as Bob has said, I am prepared to pay a little extra if I really want something.

As Dave has said as the administrator here, and I agree, we don't want to restrict trading to within certain countries only on the forum. The aim is fair trade for all.

Thanks,

BC

Dekenba1

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:36 PM »

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

If I'm trying to swap kits and a forum member outside of the EU wants to swap, I have to pay an additional 20% VAT on the value of the kits I get, plus pay a large amount of money to ship my kits overseas.

It means any deals quickly become unworkable, as the cost to me skyrockets.

I appreciate the argument that a buyer would pay the shipping for a kit he wants from me, but that leaves me with large shipping & tax bills.

If I'm forced to offer deals to all forum members regardless of where they live, I'm potentially just signing up to hand large amounts of cash over.

The entire idea is to swap kits.

Forcing worldwide deals makes it too expensive and defeats the object. I can't offer swaps on that basis.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 01:01:19 AM »
Ladies and Gentleman,just hang on to your kit's until this Storm blows over.

Online James

Wingnut Wings Swap Shop
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 01:46:26 AM »
I was the one who originally asked if we should keep it within country/countries as I wasn't sure if same like Sandy, who gets screwed by his country's customs, is kinda why I asked at the time. It doesn't matter to me at all, as it's a swap shop, and each would be paying shipping, so it's cool with me. Dave, if you feel this needs to be removed, by all means remove this post. Just trying to clarify, is all.

James

Offline Vickers

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 02:37:24 AM »
Do we expect to have such a surge in WNW trading that it would rate its own sub-forum? It seems to me that such traffic could be easily accommodated by the existing Buy/Sell/Swap area.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Online Rob_Owens

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
An observation, if I may: the admin policy of “equal opportunity” in trading (which is entirely reasonable, and well within any set of rules the site may establish) does not imply “equal outcome.”  Offer in public, but deal in private. If I offer something in trade or sale, I’m not obligated to accept ANY offer from ANY corner of the world. Since the administrators (as stated in the rules) are not abiters in any dealings, it is left to individuals to negotiate what is “fair” or “equal.” IMHO, as it should be.
Most respectfully, Rob