Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Swap Shop  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Swap Shop
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
Rob is quite correct in his summary that equal opportunity bidding does not mean a person has to accept any particular offer from any corner of the earth, nor are we trying to dictate how members do their buy/ sell/ trades. All we are saying is that all deals should be on offer to all members. That's the fair way for a global hobby community. Who you choose to trade with is your choice.

And we won't be setting up any Wingnut Wings sub forums for trades or buy/ sells. These can be comfortably accommodated in the existing buy/ sell/ trade board.

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave J

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »

If I'm forced to offer deals to all forum members regardless of where they live, I'm potentially just signing up to hand large amounts of cash over.

The entire idea is to swap kits.

Forcing worldwide deals makes it too expensive and defeats the object. I can't offer swaps on that basis.

You are not forced to do anything... Its your choice to accept or decline an offer.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Dekenba1

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 04:42:34 AM »

If I'm forced to offer deals to all forum members regardless of where they live, I'm potentially just signing up to hand large amounts of cash over.

The entire idea is to swap kits.

Forcing worldwide deals makes it too expensive and defeats the object. I can't offer swaps on that basis.

You are not forced to do anything... Its your choice to accept or decline an offer.

Oh.

I hadn't thought of that.

I can be incredibly dumb sometimes.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
Look before you leap!

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
Frank, civil, courteous, & sober (well I’ve only had two pints) discussion of, at times, contentious subjects. . .I’d like to think that Des would be proud of the community he and others created. . .

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »
i'm gonna get my comment in before Rum O'Clock so i can tick the "sober" box.

swapping on here is a good idea, i've bought from people on here before. my impression's this community's a reliable lot.

i'm based in Thailand so there would be shipping back and forth, and possibly tax. if and when anyone wants to swap with me i'd suggest the following terms: higher side pays difference in shipping, and higher side pays difference in tax/duties. here, the tax man's pretty random. my Re.8 duellists landed with NO tax, the tax on a 1/72 submarine kit was equal to what i paid for the kit!

that said, swapped stuff before with people on other continents, it's been pretty easy. shipping back and forth to Australia or NZ is pretty cheap (but international shipping is slow at the moment due to the plague).

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Sounds good, with the caveat that the international impositions are considered first. I just saw some EBay biding prices, ridiculous. An option to swap duplicates with ones you missed in the panic buying- great idea!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline aliluke

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
Agree and disagree here.
My thoughts and commitments:
- I will trade here with fellow modellers if it is not compromising to the manufacturers who are still standing after all of this.
- If I do trade with any of you, I will only do so at the original cost to me + the actual shipping to your location or by swaps on the same terms and only for items where the current maker is out of business.
- I will not on sell kits or after-market parts where the current manufacturer still exists and needs our support by buying directly from them.
- If I can afford it, I will be buying kits and after-market parts directly from those makers. In other words, if we want our favourite suppliers to continue to trade we should support them by buying directly from them.
- If they are dead post this - and heaven forbid anymore fall over - then openly and honestly trading here is a much better option than the nutty prices on Ebay and Trademe. We can still support each other if it is in an open and fair way.

Wingnut Wings qualifies as a tradeable proposition as they look to be all but non-existent as a seller. But - as someone has said - let's wait for the dust to settle...they may dump a massive amount of kits onto the market and those who paid a premium now will look very silly then. But who knows? The future took a turn towards the completely unknown many months ago...

A

It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 01:54:40 AM »
agree with most of what Aliluke said, especially that part about buying directly from manufacturers.

i'm not going to be too hard line on the manufacturer being out of business, but if an item's sold out with no new production planned, it's fair game as far as i'm concerned.

that said, while there's a lot of WNW stuff i want (OAW Fokkers, Junkers D.1 especially) there isn't much i'm willing to part with. i could let go of an Early Snipe (i was going to build Barker's ship, then the Barker edition came out) or the original DH.2 (same with Hawker). could also trade a Goering D.VIIF for a non-F D.VII.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Aye, there’s the (trading) rub: I have two of the kits you’re looking for, but you’ve nothing I want, and even if you had, I’d be looking much closer to home than Thailand. . .

Offline macsporran

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
The one I wished I'd bought at the time was the Benz engined Roland D.VIb (32017), but it sold out very quickly. In case somebody has a shelf full of them I'd offer a swap for the original DH2 (32028) or Albatros D.Va (32015) but these have of course been re-released in other boxings so may be less rare. Also since I'm in the UK, it would make completion on an international swap difficult.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
Aye, there’s the (trading) rub: I have two of the kits you’re looking for, but you’ve nothing I want, and even if you had, I’d be looking much closer to home than Thailand. . .
i'd bet i have something you want. however, the odds are i'm not willing to part with it :p

i may likely build the DH.2 as Wilkinson's ship. i may just sell the Snipe outright, swaps are logistically difficult except from 'Straya or Japan. shipping from the US to here is extortionate so i usually buy from pretty much anywhere else. shipping FROM Thailand is not expensive, but one may find the tax man looking for import duties. usually for me decal swapping is a better option than kit swapping.

also i expect WNW will at least sell off their inventory, so i should be able to get the OAW sprues and early Fokkers, i've already got the OAW decal sheets.

Offline Fokkerfighter

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 12:08:22 AM »
Lets keep in mind, WNW MAY resume sales of existing kits, but the OOP kits are still OOP.  So, I'd like to acquire an Albie BII and a Junkers D1 but the Gotha is still a no go.

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 02:06:48 AM »
I think that swapping kits is a great idea. If the RRP of the kit you want to swap is the same as the kit you are exchanging then its just the cost of postage and what could be better than that? I've sent a PM and I hope that I might get a favourable reply in due course.
Simon