Author Topic: Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Upd 25.5.2020 Question upper wing  (Read 591 times)

Online Bughunter

Re: Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Decal question
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 06:10:36 AM »
Thanks to the great helpful forum members the problem is solved in less then 24h - I hope I can fulfill the expectations with a acceptable Triplane ;)

Cheers,
Frank
Wikipedia says: A model is a simplified representation of reality.
So I create downscaled originals.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 06:30:55 AM »
Thanks to the great helpful forum members the problem is solved in less then 24h - I hope I can fulfill the expectations with a acceptable Triplane ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Can I not finish a kit...of course it will meet expectations! :)   (that was modification to the "does a bear shat in the woods?" joke)

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Online Bughunter

Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Upd 23.5.2020 Detail preparation
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 11:38:54 PM »
Some details

As I'm still not in the mood to do only decals for a while on my Albatros Dr.I and have a tempting Triplane unpacked, I decided to start some preparation work. And to solder something is always a relaxing task for me ;)

A short piece 0.7mm brass pipe on a drill shaft plus some 0.5mm pieces on 0.1mm paper to be soldered.

Another piece added on top. Needs some cleaning.

All parts together are a control stick. The open ends visible from top are much nices compared to the flat kit PE. Since I have done the same for my Pup, I just can do without need to think about a solution 8)

Rick shows recently soldered Vickers for his SPADs. This reminds me, that I have PE from Part in my stash, so I started the work on this.

That is a great set and allows many variants. I used here the jackets which are closed behind the front and have openings at the end.

The soldered seam will not be visible later. I will glue the barrel (I used 0.6mm brass) in place later.

The result of some work: two Vickers front parts. Gaspatch Vickers are also nice, but I like here the real openings with light going through.

There is one Vickers on the sprues, but since one marking needs two of them Eduard added two resin casted Vickers. May be I use the back part of them instead of lot of PE parts. This is not decided yet.

The grey wheels are from the kit, but I will use wheels from a Camel kit (there are two pairs provided). The plastic axle will be replaced by nickel silver half axles.

The Camel wheels had a wider diameter opening, so I made some brass bushings. Now the wheels are straight on the axles.

The tailplane of the Pup is moulded, but luckily Eduard added the smaller later tail as resin cast. I cut the elevators and reconnect them, but this needs very careful drilling because the tailplane is very very thin!

And some woodwork is relaxing too, so the airscrew is prepared.

Needs some polishing, especially on the back side and more layers of clear paints (Clear Orange and Co).

I really like to work on such details! With some parts prepared, the build will be faster once started.

Cheers,
Frank

Online RichieW

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 11:43:59 PM »
Wow Frank, what a great start. I've spent 3 days trying to make 1/32 details and failed miserably so far. This thread shows what can be done beautifully in 1/48 so I'll use it as inspiration. This is going to be epic!

Offline RAGIII

Re: Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Upd 23.5.2020 Detail preparation
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:26 AM »
Amazing detail work as always Frank! The Machine gun jackets and barrels look awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Bughunter

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 02:22:37 AM »
Thank you Richie and Rick!

This is going to be epic!
Not sure about epic, but with that great support by forum members I like to give back a nice build, as far as I can go ;)

So at the end it should look like the front page of the Datafile

or from the color point of view more like this one from WNW page:

Cheers,
Frank

Online lone modeller

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 06:03:37 AM »
As always Frank your modelling is of a standard which I can only dream about. I have to keep reminding myself that you are working in that very odd in-between scale and not the gargantuan one we normally see here (and which I too am working at the moment - but please do not remind the others!). The barrels of the gins and the propellor are just excellent and i really like that control stick.

Stephen.

Online Bughunter

Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Upd 23.5.2020 Dashboard
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 06:35:44 AM »
Thank you Stephen for your always very nice comments :) Highly appreciated!
I like the term "very odd in-between scale" 8)

So let's continue in that one with the ... <drum roll>

Dashboard

That are the kit parts for the cockpit, but additionally some PE parts are provided, e.g. for replacement of the back wall. Out of the box? No.

A very nice wicker seat is also on the PE sheet. But there is a warning picture on the WNW Triplane web page: "No wicker Seat"!
The plastic one has a thick wall, so I scratched a new one with wooden seating and aluminum back rest. The edge is flanged over.

There is a PE for the dashboard, but I decided to try a wooden one with raised instruments.
The instruments are from another Eduard PE set. A lot of brass parts scratched, the white plates are punched from a yoghurt pot. The pulsator is stretched sprue. I have to think about the compass, so that one needs to be added.

The middle struts are in real (and on WNW kit) one piece, but here they are splitted. Nice color pictures of real Triplanes show recesses so I tried something new: milling of wood.  I clamped the struts and inserted the recesses with a flat milling cutter. It worked!

Until now it was only replacing of kit parts, but for the floor and mounting I have to think about.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

Re: Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Upd 23.5.2020 Dashboard
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:45 AM »
Awesome work on the IP and all of the rest!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 03:44:37 PM »
Hi Frank! Fantastic work, as always!
Over in my Pup-thread you wrote that the larger WnW-models show details you could only dream about. That's probably true, but you're extremely good at making those dreams reality. Looking forward to more updates.

Take care!
/Fredrik

Online RichieW

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
Amazing detail work Frank, this is turning into a masterclass! :)

Offline Terri

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:50 PM »
Excellent work on the mods Frank , nice job on milling on the cockpit cab struts  :)

Terri

Online lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 03:38:22 AM »
Fredrik is right about making dreams come true - you do it all the time in that strange in-between scale! Super IP na d the milling of the wood is another step which I for one can only (still) dream about.

Stephen.

Online Bughunter

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 04:35:26 AM »
Thank you Rick, Fredrik, Richie, Terri and Stephen! I'm glad that you like my work!

Over in my Pup-thread you wrote that the larger WnW-models show details you could only dream about. That's probably true, but you're extremely good at making those dreams reality.
Fredrik, I mean those small inconspicuous details like the great rib tapes on your Pup. In that quality it is hard to replicate by myself.

Super IP na d the milling of the wood is another step which I for one can only (still) dream about.
That was done with the super small milling machine Proxxon MF70. May be a wish for next X-mas? 8)

Next update soon,
Frank

Online Bughunter

Sopwith Triplane 1/48, Upd 24.5.2020 Clerget engine
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 04:37:54 AM »
Clerget 9B

Today I spend the whole afternoon to build the rotary engine. The needed Small Stuff Clerget 9B 130hp was in my stash.

The first 11 parts are mounted.

There is a spare cylinder, please not the fantastic details on the head, e.g. the deep exhaust!

The next step was painting the engine and all the small parts with the shown Alclads.

The result of the painting session:

Then 18 spark plugs, 18 valves and 18 pushrods takes some time!

A light wash with oil paints improves the look:

A size comparison with a Euro Cent:

And a final view of those 65 mounted and painted parts on the Small Stuff package inlet:

I am very grateful to Small Stuff that these wonderful gems exist at all! This one was a bit more complex to build because of the many valves and pushrods.

I hope you will like the result of my afternoon session!

Cheers,
Frank