Author Topic: WNW: how many kits do they have left?  (Read 48400 times)

Offline Pup7309

Re: WNW: how many kits do they have left?
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2020, 10:00:35 PM »
I wonder how many of the Gotha 1 and UWD they made. It’s a bit of a white elephant but I’d say no one else will ever put this out.
I was thinking about the Gotha iv - they surely must have been intending  re releasing this one? Someone might know but I can’t imagine WNW made their money back on r&d. Now people selling second hand are making the $ - madness!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:22:28 PM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2020, 10:33:33 PM »
I saw a Facebook post reporting Andy's in the USA was only shipping to CONUS addresses. If correct that means no shipping to Europe or Australia etc.

Good news for our American members but probably not for the rest of us.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

I sent Andy an e-mail last week, and asked if they shipped internationally. This was his response:

Hello,
no I'm sorry we don't yet.
Thanks for your interest
Andy

So, bad luck for us outside the US I'm afarid.

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2020, 02:08:56 AM »
I saw a Facebook post reporting Andy's in the USA was only shipping to CONUS addresses. If correct that means no shipping to Europe or Australia etc.

Good news for our American members but probably not for the rest of us.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

That sucks for those outside the US, well here's to the faint hope WNW, or whoever is running it open the web store to orders again.
I sent Andy an e-mail last week, and asked if they shipped internationally. This was his response:

Hello,
no I'm sorry we don't yet.
Thanks for your interest
Andy

So, bad luck for us outside the US I'm afarid.

/Mikael

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
Bummer! Just noticed a Dolphin go for $345 here, wth? As far as I know this isn’t sold out in NZ.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:12:20 PM by Pup7309 »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
I guess an interesting question becomes how many of each kit was produced that have or haven’t sold out. Would anyone know this?

Until then keep supporting existing producers. CSM, Roden, Eduard, Mengnut Mengs, and all the rest including aftermarket guys.

Just another thought. I was looking at the 2 seaters that never seemed to sell. In their own way they are amazing kits. I think it’s just they had so much competition from the Fokker D7s etc. So maybe when sold out they will be appreciated more. The rigging on some still looks a bit daunting though.
Dc

Offline Dave J

« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2020, 11:25:13 AM »
For those that are outside of the US and that want to get on the kits that Andy HQ will be offering. You should be looking at Parcel Forwarding Services. There are quite a few within the US that ship to the UK & Europe. Maybe your local postal service has something setup? Luckily I have friends and family in the US that I can ship too, but I have used the Parcel Forwarding service that New Zealand Posts offers to Customers. Last couple of times I used them, they were around the same price that was quoted via USPS, but they did charge a handling and boxing fee, which is to be expected.

Here is one that I found - https://www.shipito.com/en/
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Dave J

« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
I guess an interesting question becomes how many of each kit was produced that have or haven’t sold out. Would anyone know this?

Until then keep supporting existing producers. CSM, Roden, Eduard, Mengnut Mengs, and all the rest including aftermarket guys.

Just another thought. I was looking at the 2 seaters that never seemed to sell. In their own way they are amazing kits. I think it’s just they had so much competition from the Fokker D7s etc. So maybe when sold out they will be appreciated more. The rigging on some still looks a bit daunting though.
Dc

Yes there are a couple people that know that information, but its all ex-WNW staff.

Two Seaters did sell, and a few of them quite very well...
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
Hi, Dave,
Yes I should have been more specific- DFWs, Salmsons, Dh9s and Rumplers come to mind. These seemed to hang around as last to sell items, although as mentioned they are very nice kits. Others such as LVG, Halberstadt, Hannover seemed to go better. But this is just an assumption based on what could be seen of sales, but they are known only to those in the know!, D

It’s still hard to believe WNW have closed. I get it wasn’t making money but couldn’t PJ have just made a few changes to the business model?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
Without inviting speculation from people who may have opinions, but don't actually know for certain, I wonder if any ex member of WNW staff or a member of any trusted "inner circle" of builders and advisors can tell us:
1 how many of each kit were made?
2 did they make same number of say, SE5a and Roland DVIa, for example?
3 who in China or South Korea tooled up each of the moulds? and, if they still have them - and if they have the ability (like Meng) to add PE, decals etc and bring to market under their own name? (assuming no legal restrictions)
Please don't pile in with well-intentioned theories, guys. I'd just like to ask if, now the dust has settled a bit, anybody might be free from legal NDA etc to tell us from the horse's mouth.
Thanks
Sandy
P.S. I'm sure we'd also like to know what the future possible releases might have been!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:44:54 PM by macsporran »

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2020, 09:46:44 PM »
For those that are outside of the US and that want to get on the kits that Andy HQ will be offering. You should be looking at Parcel Forwarding Services. There are quite a few within the US that ship to the UK & Europe. Maybe your local postal service has something setup? Luckily I have friends and family in the US that I can ship too, but I have used the Parcel Forwarding service that New Zealand Posts offers to Customers. Last couple of times I used them, they were around the same price that was quoted via USPS, but they did charge a handling and boxing fee, which is to be expected.

Thanks Dave J, that is actually very helpful !

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2020, 01:23:32 AM »

Briliant – Thank You very much Dave,
I had no idea this service existed. If a certain German two seater is up for sale at Andys, I'll put this to the test.

Cheers – Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2020, 07:23:43 AM »
Hi, Dave,
Yes I should have been more specific- DFWs, Salmsons, Dh9s and Rumplers come to mind. These seemed to hang around as last to sell items, although as mentioned they are very nice kits. Others such as LVG, Halberstadt, Hannover seemed to go better. But this is just an assumption based on what could be seen of sales, but they are known only to those in the know!, D

It’s still hard to believe WNW have closed. I get it wasn’t making money but couldn’t PJ have just made a few changes to the business model?

Perhaps some changes could of been made, but I doubt that would of saved WNW. There were dark forces at play...

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:36:49 AM by Dave J »
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Dave J

« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2020, 07:35:45 AM »
Without inviting speculation from people who may have opinions, but don't actually know for certain, I wonder if any ex member of WNW staff or a member of any trusted "inner circle" of builders and advisors can tell us:
1 how many of each kit were made?
2 did they make same number of say, SE5a and Roland DVIa, for example?
3 who in China or South Korea tooled up each of the moulds? and, if they still have them - and if they have the ability (like Meng) to add PE, decals etc and bring to market under their own name? (assuming no legal restrictions)
Please don't pile in with well-intentioned theories, guys. I'd just like to ask if, now the dust has settled a bit, anybody might be free from legal NDA etc to tell us from the horse's mouth.
Thanks
Sandy
P.S. I'm sure we'd also like to know what the future possible releases might have been!

1 - We are unable to, NDA's are still in force I believe?
2 - Production numbers varied depending on the subject. Kits that we thought would be popular had larger production runs compared to others.
3 - Tooling should be still with the factories. It will be a large task and large number of shipping containers to move the tooling around the world. That would be a expensive expense that I doubt Wingnut will pay. 1-2 kits worth of tooling would fit into a container considering weight etc. Kits that have been released, no I do not believe that will happen. Only if some agreement is made with WNW. Perhaps the other kits that were in development could, they could be treated as abandon and the tooling companies could try to sell them on to recoup costs. I have a feeling that is what happened with the Dr.1

Please note I have not been at WNW for over 9 months and this is my personal speculation...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:24:16 AM by Dave J »
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline macsporran

« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
Dave, your personal speculation is many times more valuable than any of our wild guesses and wishful hunches.
Thank you for telling us what you can.
S

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
Folks

We have a news update on the Wingnuts kits at Andy's Hobby HQ in Arizona and the news is very disappointing for overseas customers as the store prepares for a piranha-like feeding frenzy of crazed Wingnut buyers this week.

Andy's allocation of kits has arrived at the Phoenix store and is expected to go on sale in a day or so. But he won't sell to vendors or Ebay bulk buyers and he won't sell to overseas customers - it's CONUS only.

Our Forum rep in the USA, member Vickers, phoned Andy's to ask about international sales and was told "it's too expensive and too much hassle."

Feedback on their Facebook posts indicate that the WNW shipment will likely sell out to walk-ins within just a few hours.
and Vickers won't be surprised if customers will be driving in from as far away as L.A. and Las Vegas.

"He also confirmed that he won't be getting any of the Fokker D.VII's and of course none that were already in sold out status elsewhere.

"It's gonna be a feeding frenzy at his store tomorrow and might as well be considered a mirage for anyone who isn't lined up in front the store by sunrise" Vickers says.

Bottom line- Andy's says that there are more people raving and inquiring than his incoming stock can accommodate.

It's so fanatical now the store reports he's got guys pressing him for 'exact time on the shelf' because they're planning to drive in from hours away in the hopes of grabbing some Wingnuts.

Vickers says he wouldn't be surprised if some of the locals camp there tonight- just like Black Friday sales at Walmart!

Sad news that he won't ship overseas but it sounds like he's going to overwhelmed by walk-ins anyway.

It's significant that Andy's has told vendors and eBay sellers that "If they want some of the kits, they'll just have to come in tomorrow." A stance geared toward keeping faith with their daily customer base.

Our thanks to Vickers for the report.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com