Author Topic: Fokker D-VII 1/33rd Fitter's Paper Model with Matt77 Repaint  (Read 8568 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Fokker D-VII 1/33rd Fitter's Paper Model with Matt77 Repaint
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
Still a kind of witchcraft with these paper modellers. But the outlook of their models make them right.
Very impressively looking Fokker!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
I thought the first one was great. The second looks superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 09:54:31 PM »
Coming along nicely Dan.  The engine does look even better with your enhancements. Looking forward to seeing more.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
I agree with Andreas - there is witchcraft going on with these paper models! We have not one but three very skilled modellers making three very complex but very detailed models simultaneously  - so much to learn and so many good ideas which can be borrowed (stolen) and adapted for use in other media!

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »
Thanks, Folks...

And now for even more witchcraft!  I'm just trying to stay in the race with Marco and Bob... ;D

I got the basic engine done with valve springs, rocker arms and associated mechanics, spark plugs and plug wires.  Then I installed the engine in the bay as a first step to fixing the front.  The engine still needs the exhausts etc. but I can put them on after I play with the lower cowl and grill.  Wish me luck!  I also got the tails all rigged and control lines added as well.  I was just putting off the front end... ::)

More soon with hopefully good news.
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
Dan, you have yourself a challenge to get that nose right. I have been periodically mulling it over ever since you first mentioned it. Darn hard to use the properties of paper to go from a flat side to a curved nose. I have a bet with myself...You are going to do something I hadn't even thought of and it is going to look way better than any of us ever thought it could.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2020, 10:47:31 PM »
Again I marvel at the artwork and modeling skills in the tail section! Like SP said I am sure you will come up with something that will fix the front end! The engine looks terrific in place!
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2020, 10:55:02 PM »
Looking good Dan!  The engine is very fine and I really like the look of the tail section.  I look forward to seeing your field repair to the chin cowl. ;)

Best,

Bob   

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks, Guys!

I'm still dragging my heals on the lower cowling but I did get another hard part done: the exhaust!

The first picture shows a part that, if you had skill, would fold up amazingly and have a nice cross section but it's WAY too complicated for this little modeler.  Look at all those cuts!  Heavens above!  So I just opted for the other one which was flat and with lots of tweaking and coaxing I got it to look respectable and convex...even on the exhaust engine attachments.  Looks like it means business now!  Of course, I still need to do the other side and there are no paper bits for that.  :P

Where's Bruno and Willi?...Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
That exhaust looks very convincing Dan!  Marco's paints are amazing.  Good call on the exhaust.  The engine is looking very realistic.  Is it displayed, I hope?  Very well done.

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2020, 02:54:47 AM »
The exhaust is terrific Dan!
RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
Thanks Bob and Rick!

So tonight I actually got the guts and fortitude to start the rhinoplasty.  I cut along the lower curve on the side panels as you see in the first shot.  That went ok!  Then I had to shorten the forward bulkhead considerably.  It use to come down almost parallel to the wing attachment making it boxy down there.  I then made tiny cuts in the tab as seen and then carefully glued...very slowly and deliberately...following the lower curve and got it close to the forward bulkhead.  I just tag-glued it to the forward bulkhead and I think the profile is a bit better than designed.  I then used the previously cut yellow parts and removed two small triangles the fill in areas that weren't quite colored.  They will look almost hidden to me.

Not too darn shabby.  Tomorrow I'll try the other side and then the real fun of fitting the cowling starts.  That may be a real problem but we'll see!

Thanks for looking...Dan :D

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »
Here's a shot of the real machine for comparison!

I think mine is getting closer than the original kit...Dan  ;)

Offline smperry

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 03:20:24 PM »
Very nicely done. That isn't a shape paper naturally wants to take. Combination of great visualization and execution.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2020, 06:10:31 PM »
Unfortunately, I am only authorized to recolor the drawings, and not to make important changes to Fitters' works.
I knew this was the most obvious flaw in this model of Fitter's.
Fitter's developed the nose a little too simple and hasty, to the detriment of reality.
But , I wanted to see how the best paper model maker would solve the problem of nose.

Best regards,
matt77