Author Topic: Fokker D-VII 1/33rd Fitter's Paper Model with Matt77 Repaint  (Read 8564 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Fokker D-VII 1/33rd Fitter's Paper Model with Matt77 Repaint
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
All,

I was sent this model as a gift from Matt77 (Thanks, Marco!!!) and it's my next one up for cutting.  Looks lovely as usual.  Here are some basic shots of the "kit".  The usual rendering standard from Matt77 and the three card models I've built from Fitter have all been really nice so I'm looking forward to this one!

More soon...Dan

Online Radarman

Re: Fokker D-VII 1/33rd Fitter's Paper Model with Matt77 Repaint
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 03:14:01 AM »
Dan,
I hope you are keep well. This will be another great one to watch.

Kevin in Port Orchard
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
Really looking forward to this build! I Love the Jasta 10 scheme!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
Thanks Kevin and Rick!  (How's life in quarantine over in Port Orchard, Kevin??!!)  My family is well, thank you and I trust yours is too.

I got the beginning started by pasting the paper former and structural parts to some 1/32nd sheet balsa and couldn't help but start to fuselage and cockpit.  Got the floor, main bulk heads and the seat installed.  Belts next, rudder pedals and all that jazz!

Can't wait to add the fuselage sides and color to this guy!  Engine will be fun too.

More soon...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
Cool , following along on this one Dan  :) Off to a good start so far . Those colours for the lozenge aren't all that bad either .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 11:07:53 PM »
WOW! I absolutely Love the look of that seat! Great start!!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 04:08:01 AM »
Dan
What thickness balsa are you using? I used to do some prototype building for the late Peter Rake. I would get the plans as an attachment and have them printed. Then using stick glue, stick the paper to the wood and cut the pieces. What I discovered is that it is way easier to cut curved pieces when the drawing is pasted on the wood. Like the paper negates the effect of the wood grain on your blade. Have you noticed that effect?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 09:15:47 AM »
Absolutely, Sp!  I use 1/32nd for these.  I can cut curves without crushing the balsa too and the paper sort of stabilizes the more delicate parts.  Just a light score on the paper and then the blade follows quite nicely on successive passes.  Works great.  When I build balsa flying models I tend to use a glue stick like you suggest.  On these, I tend to use spray adhesive.  Seems to stick more tenaciously and it's ok to leave it behind since you aren't worried about excess weight!

On an off topic note...I've built several of Peter Rake's R/C models like the Pup etc.  I didn't know he had passed away.  :'(  I really liked his ramblings about quiet flight in the British mags and his plans were really nice to work with.  Such a bummer.  And thank you for your contribution making the prototypes.  Much appreciated over the years.

Anyway, he'd like these little paper models I bet!

Cheers and thanks for the inquiry...Dan  :D

Offline smperry

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 11:00:13 AM »
Too cool Dan. That cutting wood through paper trick is magic. So many old Comet kits with flat top ribs and formers.

This is an image of Pete's Strutter flying. I got the plans as an attachment, printed them and started cutting wood.

So Dan, when and where will this paper model become available to the blunt nose scissors crowd? I have  been wanting to try one and a D.VII is pretty slab sided, I might just get one together.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
Hi there, SP...

This little guy was sent to me gratis from the re-painter of the kit, Matt77, and so I HAD to build it.  Such a horrible cross to bear!  ::)

I hope that this kit will, at some point, be available on Ecardmodels which is a place that has many downloads for sale.  That's where I first saw Matt77's repaints and purchased several.  That said, the design of the kit is from a fellow going by "Fitter" and the design may be available from other paper model sources too.  Ecardmodels is getting back into the swing of things after being shut down for a long time with server issues.  They are slowly stocking things again and I hope that Matt77's stuff will be there soon!

Peter's Strutter looks the bee's knees...lovely shot I must say.  Thanks for sharing!

I started working more on the fuselage by skinning the sides from the cockpit to the tail and the underside too.  In the first shot you can see some right angle balsa triangles added for strength.  You can also see part of the instrument panel, stick and belts.  I need to make some thin wire clasps for those.  Slowly beginning to look like a D-VII now!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
Dan
Starting to take shape and looking good.
I checked out E card models and bought an Albie and a Confederate ironclad ship. Now I have to find a source of paper of the correct grades and get my printer more ink.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
Excellent! I really love the weathering effect in the artwork! This is a DVII that I always wished someone would do decals for so I am really enjoying seeing this one come together!
RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
Thanks Rick and SP!

I have a couple of ironclads too and they are super neat.  Heinkel models is a good outfit.

So it's steady as she goes.  Looks neat with some more cockpit and tail work.  I really like the subdued and weathered effect on the lozenge Matt77 has achieved. 

A couple of shots show the nose section which is somewhat of a conundrum to me...when I look at photos of D-VIIs, the nose seems to follow the contour of the lower curve.  If I put this thing together as I think it's supposed to go, I think things will be too square and boxy.  Maybe it's just an illusion but I need to think on it a bit.

All in all, looks cool from just forward of the cockpit back! 

More soon...Dan

Offline petrov27

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
This is looking really great!

This is a nice scheme that I have not seen fully depicted before - looks like it is four color lozenge covered late Fokker built DVII? Is there mention of what serial # it is?
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »
Looking Beautiful! I see what you mean about boxy. It seems to me the lower panel should curve up to meet the base for the radiator and the upper panels look like they should have a bit more curve. Like you said that could be an illusion. I am sure you will figure things out!
RAGIII