Author Topic: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke  (Read 88274 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke
« Reply #645 on: August 12, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
Master rigger !  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #646 on: August 14, 2020, 04:18:19 AM »
Once again Thanks to All for the Support. I might have given up without the encouragement !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #647 on: August 14, 2020, 06:46:24 AM »
and still working on the base for the Luke bird:

RAGIII

PS: Still a LONG way to go!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:55:11 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #648 on: August 14, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
I'm liking the base Rick ...oh yeah the spad as well  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2020, 04:25:34 PM »
Beautiful Rick,

I’ve always felt it was an omission that WNW never did a Spad, and now they never will, but you’ve made that one look like they did!

Guy

Ps I love those colours.
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #650 on: August 15, 2020, 07:18:57 AM »
That looks lovely, Rick.  You are rigging this so precisely and soooooo well.  Love watching this.
Well done...Dan  :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #651 on: September 01, 2020, 05:55:35 AM »
I am back on these three thanks to Patrick. I also have done some work on the figures to be displayed with the SAPDs'.  The Pegaso Luke figure is the FIRST ever using Acrylics for the flesh tones vs Oils. Any thoughts and recommendations welcomed!

RAGIII

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:25:54 AM by RAGIII »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #652 on: September 02, 2020, 12:34:01 AM »
I'd say Luke is turning out well!  I like how you've depicted him and his dramatic pose.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #653 on: September 02, 2020, 02:25:05 AM »
I'd say Luke is turning out well!  I like how you've depicted him and his dramatic pose.

Thanks Ken. The pose will be a little "Less Dramatic" when the French Pilot is posed next to him  8) So far I am liking the Valejo acrylics but I have a lot to learn! It is a Shame No one does a Rickenbacker figure to go with his SPAD. I guess I will stick with an "Unknown" USAS pilot posing with #1.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:33:43 AM by RAGIII »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2020, 03:24:39 AM »
Those tones look good to me Rick, but then I am not a figure painter either. I think that you painting skills are such that you will make all of your figures look realistic and they will certainly add to the completed model aircraft.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #655 on: September 02, 2020, 07:31:29 AM »
Those tones look good to me Rick, but then I am not a figure painter either. I think that you painting skills are such that you will make all of your figures look realistic and they will certainly add to the completed model aircraft.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. Today was spent working on rigging. This will most likely be the worst rigging I have done in 40 years but I hope it will be marginally acceptable  ::)
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #656 on: September 02, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »
Rick
That rigging looks great so far, light years ahead of what I could do. You have the wire running to the "H" strut leaving on the same angle it arrived on. That is a feat few can accomplish. I have banged my head against my hand all afternoon trying to figure a way to do those "H" struts in metal and I can't see how without expensive custom equipment.

Only thing I can think of is using carved wooden struts and to pin the cross bar with pins long enough to protrude out the front and back. Then use Gaspatch turnbuckles and hook each one over the protruding pin. You might have to use 1/48 size to keep the pin diameter smaller and also so the 4 wires don't stack up too far out of plane. Not real helpful I know, but all I could conjure up.

OTOH those Spads look so darn good, whose going to notice a whip-a-diddle in the rigging. (I know...you will)

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #657 on: September 03, 2020, 01:41:31 AM »
Rigging those centre struts must have been Bleriot's dig at future modellers! They look fine to me but I agree with Steve- they probably will look an eyesore to you!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #658 on: September 03, 2020, 07:19:19 AM »
Rick
That rigging looks great so far, light years ahead of what I could do. You have the wire running to the "H" strut leaving on the same angle it arrived on. That is a feat few can accomplish. I have banged my head against my hand all afternoon trying to figure a way to do those "H" struts in metal and I can't see how without expensive custom equipment.

Only thing I can think of is using carved wooden struts and to pin the cross bar with pins long enough to protrude out the front and back. Then use Gaspatch turnbuckles and hook each one over the protruding pin. You might have to use 1/48 size to keep the pin diameter smaller and also so the 4 wires don't stack up too far out of plane. Not real helpful I know, but all I could conjure up.

OTOH those Spads look so darn good, whose going to notice a whip-a-diddle in the rigging. (I know...you will)

sp

Thanks SP, JUst the boost I needed!
RAGIII

Rigging those centre struts must have been Bleriot's dig at future modellers! They look fine to me but I agree with Steve- they probably will look an eyesore to you!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, Greatly appreciate the support!
RAGIII

So today I went into My Modeling session with a New Attitude! I realized I have spent More time Whining than I have rigging  :-[ So today two of the three have the wires on the front completed minus final tightening with heat.

RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #659 on: September 03, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
You are on a roll Rick , rigging is looking really sweet so for and it already looks tight . I also see that the pic's of the figures are back . I must say that you did a really nice job with the use of acrylics on painting the faces . How did you find them ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch