Author Topic: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke  (Read 88234 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke
« Reply #480 on: June 25, 2020, 05:54:28 AM »
Rick, I don't know about that panel issue, but I just have to say that your colors, markings and finish on these SPADs are just superb.  What do you use for your clear finish over the decals, and how do you apply it?  Thanks.

Best,

Bob 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #481 on: June 25, 2020, 06:20:22 AM »
Hi Rick, I downloaded the Smithsonian institute picture and increased the exposure considerably. Unfortunately Flickr isn't playing at the moment but there is definitely a grille there. The black and white war time photo has the vague suggestion of it too. When Flickr decides to play nicely again I will post it so you can see. The grille slates run lengthways.

Hope this helps resolve it.

Thanks Richie. Yes, the kit has the grille. The Smithsonian photo seems plausible as an option although the other Rickenbacker photo I posted seems to Not Be black. Taken at a different time so it is possible that it was changed out or painted later. At least I have photo evidence for different options  8)

RAGIII

Rick, I don't know about that panel issue, but I just have to say that your colors, markings and finish on these SPADs are just superb.  What do you use for your clear finish over the decals, and how do you apply it?  Thanks.

Best,

Bob 

Thanks Bob. I either used Future / Klear or Valejo gloss. I honestly don't remember. I know I used the Valejo to seal the painted numbers and decals on the Guynemer SPAD>  ::)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:24:33 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:48 AM »
Even enlarging the photo I had a very hard time seeing the grill  ::)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »
Even enlarging the photo I had a very hard time seeing the grill  ::)

Terri

I am convinced now that it is there and painted black in one photo and left in it's natural state in the other. JMHO.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2020, 08:11:54 AM »
So I have reached the weathering point on all three SPADs. I looked at lots of photos and then started on the Rickenbacker SPAD. I used an Oil wash and Tamiya pastels. Still a bit to do. The undersides are almost finished but still need to do the uppers on the wings.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
You know Rick , your weathering has really improved over the years and I must say that is looking very sweet indeed !  :)
The underside is most impressive , just love how the fabric turned out . Have you tried using the Tamiya pastels as a wash before ? Works very well but not on a dull surface they don't . Yields interesting results though . Looking forward to the others  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2020, 09:58:27 AM »
The underside looks great!  Believable.  My eyes can't detect much up top....  TBH, with a fully enclosed cowl, I wouldn't expect to see much.  To repeat a phrase I think I've read about 100 times:  "With aircraft weathering, less is more"

Quick question for you regarding glue points for struts and rigging:  Do you use anything to keep paint from getting into them?  And which glue do you use for your struts?

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #487 on: June 26, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »
Great job on the weathering Rick. I think I need to order some of those Tamiya pastels. The oil stained lower surfaces are looking incredibly real.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #488 on: June 26, 2020, 10:00:50 PM »
Yes, great job on the weathering.  Just the right amount of tonal variation - not overdone.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #489 on: June 27, 2020, 12:22:23 AM »
You know Rick , your weathering has really improved over the years and I must say that is looking very sweet indeed !  :)
The underside is most impressive , just love how the fabric turned out . Have you tried using the Tamiya pastels as a wash before ? Works very well but not on a dull surface they don't . Yields interesting results though . Looking forward to the others  :)

Terri

Thanks Terri. I haven't  tried using the Tamiya Pastels directly as a wash but I have achieved interesting results trying to remove them with a damp brush  ;D
RAGIII

The underside looks great!  Believable.  My eyes can't detect much up top....  TBH, with a fully enclosed cowl, I wouldn't expect to see much.  To repeat a phrase I think I've read about 100 times:  "With aircraft weathering, less is more"

Quick question for you regarding glue points for struts and rigging:  Do you use anything to keep paint from getting into them?  And which glue do you use for your struts?

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. The upper wings haven't been done yet but will be a Bit cleaner than the undersides. The fuselage has some exhaust staining and oils around the panels.

As for the glue points and struts it really depends. With WNW I usualy try to keep the openings as clean as possible or go back with a tooth pick and clean them out. I then just place the struts in position and hit them with Tamiya Xtra Thin when all is lined up.

With this kit I will use Testors, Not the tube or liquid, the one that is in between in the black plastic container  ::) At least that is the plan.

Rigging is just thin super glue.
RAGIII

Great job on the weathering Rick. I think I need to order some of those Tamiya pastels. The oil stained lower surfaces are looking incredibly real.

Thanks Richie. I like the Tamiya stuff although I still use more Oils than pastels.
RAGIII

Yes, great job on the weathering.  Just the right amount of tonal variation - not overdone.

Thanks Ken, greatly appreciated.
RAGIII

Offline Radarman

« Reply #490 on: June 27, 2020, 05:33:29 AM »
RAGIII,
With the weathering the "Ecru" underside looks just right. In the past I'm sure you're failure with the debates as what the colour really was.
Some said it had a slight gray-blue tinge to it on aircraft built by some manufactures. Anyway, you've got it right to my eyes. Looking great!                 

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #491 on: June 27, 2020, 05:50:10 AM »
I do like that weathering Rick: just enough contrast to be convincing. I just wish I had the courage to try a bit more on my models, but I am afraid of overdoing it.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #492 on: June 27, 2020, 07:48:24 AM »
Kevin and Stephen,
Thank You for your continued support!
RAGIII

I have worked on getting the other two to the same point in weathering:

Offline smperry

« Reply #493 on: June 27, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
Very deft hand with the weathering Rick. So easy to go 1:1 weathering on a 1:32 model and you danced right around that pitfall with style.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #494 on: June 27, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
Thumbs up Rick !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch