Author Topic: A couple of painting related questions  (Read 1042 times)

Offline smperry

A couple of painting related questions
« on: April 07, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
I've run into a few issues working on my 1:28 Spad that are about modeling as opposed to 1:28 Spads, so I started a  thread here in Hints, tips & questions.

First, an annoying tendency of paint, both acrylic and enamel, to bead up when you paint a fine wire. I am thinking it is the wire since it happens with both paints. The wire in question is fine copper wire unwound from a relay coil. Is there a coating on this stuff? If so what removes it? alcohol, lacquer thinner, something stronger? The wire is too fine to do any scraping, though it might be pulled between a folded piece of very fine grit sandpaper.

Next and more general. Is there a rule of thumb as to how small a part you will airbrush? Cleanup on the AB is a nuisance and that has been limiting my use when it comes to small parts. OTOH, brush painted small parts often show full scale brush strokes and look less than what I'd hoped. And as a directly related question. Do you prime everything you spray? Recently I tried airbrushing some smaller parts and putting up with a cleanup taking many times longer than the painting takes. The results have been promising. I'm just wondering how others do it.

TIA
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

Re: A couple of painting related questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:24:40 PM »
I don't know if the wire is coated but have experienced the same issue. I guess one could try wiping down with Lacquer Thinner, Acetone, or Denatured Alcohol, can't hurt to try. I used to get good results with the OLD Testors Metalizer. I have also found that the OLD Floquil Paints work great on Metal/ wire. (Yes I still have some), I use them to prime PE before using other colors to paint.

As for the other question it boils down to preference. Like you I find it tedious to mix, spray and clean up for small parts so I tend to brush. If spraying, then I would guess doing them while on the runners and trying to catch as many of the same colors as possible would work. YMMV!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »
Hi SP ,

When I hand paint wire I always thin my paint 50/50 . Thick paint will bead up on smaller wire . It might take one or two coats for a even finish . Some wire will even have a very thin film of a type of wax . This can cause paint to bead on small and larger diameters . Running the wire under a candle flame or even a lighter will take of this and also make the wire more pliable for shaping .

When I have to paint wire I will airbrush , but I also hand paint wire depending on the wire diameter . When hand painting I mix the paint 50/50 and paint the wire in one stoke . It might take a few , but the end results are smooth finish . The paints I use are Tamiya acrylic and their Lacquer and hand paint with both , but only small areas . I also use Vallejo Model air , not so good for brush painting depending on the colour . Their model colour is for brush painting and is excellent for this . No brush stokes .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
Thanks Terri. Good advice and thanks for the tip on Flory washes.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
You may have wire that has an enamelled coating. If so, best bet is just buy some uncoated stuff

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!