Author Topic: Making a small cut out, advice needed.  (Read 1307 times)

Offline RichieW

Making a small cut out, advice needed.
« on: April 14, 2020, 06:35:02 AM »
Hi everybody, I need a bit of advice as per title.

I'm building a Sopwith Triplane but want to do it as the replica in the Shuttleworth Collection which has a cut out (foot hold?) that I believe to be non standard and is not included in the WNW kit.

Dixie II foothold. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I would like to add this but have never attempted anything like it before. I would need to thin the walls around it too and hide the inner centre seam with coloured paper.The only tools I have are the usual suspects; scalpel, drill bits, sandpaper etc. I don't have any files but can probably pick some up online, same with any other tools you think I might need.

I can make a template the right size and shape on my cricut machine.

Any tips gratefully received, this is quite a scary thing for me to attempt on such an expensive kit!

Thanks for your time
Richie

How best to go about it?

Offline RAGIII

Re: Making a small cut out, advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »
First let Me say I understand your hesitation on starting to cut, slice, and modify one of these kits. I had the same feeling when I started Modifying the rear cockpit coaming on the Camel!  In this case I don't think you need anything you don't have on hand. Scraoe the inner surfaces with your scalpel until you are satisfied with the thickness. Sand smooth. Add that former on the bottom if the kit interior framing doesn't go back that far. A small piece of plastic strip painted aluminum will work. Pretty straightforward, or so it seems  ::) I hope this helps but feel free to ask further questions!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »
Thanks so much Rick.Yes I remember your modification on the Camel, worked out really well too.

I think i just need to just bite the bullet and get on with it. So thin the walls first then do the cut out or cut first? Think I'd better have a play with some plastic sheet first. May well have something to show you tomorrow.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
Thanks so much Rick.Yes I remember your modification on the Camel, worked out really well too.

I think i just need to just bite the bullet and get on with it. So thin the walls first then do the cut out or cut first? Think I'd better have a play with some plastic sheet first. May well have something to show you tomorrow.

I would make the cut out first then thin. If done the other way around you could get some tearing on the edges. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:22:12 AM »
Absolutely. What Rick says. Cut first, thin second. Especially with the tools mentioned. Go slow and you'll get it just right.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:25 AM »
Brilliant, thanks chaps. What a brilliant forum this is!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
Sand paper wrapped around a paint brush handle or even a nail works for a home made file  ;)

I have three different file sets and I really don't use them . I mostly use a square , round , flat , triangle for in corners . You can also match the bit size to the top of the foot hole , drill hole and clean up sides with a blade and thin the inside ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
Great ideas Terri, the best ones are always simple!

Many thanks
Richie

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 04:42:08 AM »
I do mine as Terri suggests, drill it with the correct size drill then just round out the corners with a new scalpel blade and/or needle files.

Quite often they were very crudely cut out anyway so no need to be too worried if the shape is not exact.

Ian

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 04:56:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply Ian. On closer inspection I realised it was a little more complicated due to the way the kit is designed. Am contemplating whether or not it's worth doing, it has been interesting to try to work out though.

I posted the details in my build log by mistake.

Richie