Author Topic: Overcoming WNW Decal problems  (Read 1181 times)

Offline kajones1644

Overcoming WNW Decal problems
« on: February 11, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »
Guys
What is the best method of to overcome the issues with WNW decals, particularly roundels of late? I have seem people recommend room temperature water, others hot water. Is there one or is it just a case of suck it and see. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Keith

Offline Ronkootje

Re: Overcoming WNW Decal problems
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
I don't know what problems you have but I use a hair dryer. When bubbles form just lightly slice them with a sharp scalpel, then use a Q-tip dipped in water and then passed over a hot Iron where you do your clothes with. Then press on the bubble gently. DO NOT RUB OR DRAG.

Ron

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 02:42:49 AM »
It seems some have success with softener and a hair Dryer. Personally I think the problem lies in the coating at the factory. I was going to use a white decal as a pattern and placed some tape over the decal. Something I have done with no issues in the past. It lifted the white decal off of the paper. I had only encountered this with Roden decals in the past. My advice for roundels is "Mask and Spray Paint" them on  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eclarson

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 03:36:35 AM »
I assume you're referring to the brittleness of some of the larger decals. I've experienced that with roundels and German wing crosses on large white square backgrounds (for example, the WNW Taube).  I suspect it has to do with the dense ink layers.  I've had good results by doing the following - first brush on a pool of Micro Set (blue label) where the decal is to go then after a thorough soaking in water, carefully float the decal into position.  Once in place, lightly dab the decal with a cotton swab or paper towel to soak up excess liquid.  Allow it to set for a minute or two then apply heat with a hair dryer set on medium heat.  You'll see the decal start to soften and settle in.  Then carefully brush on a layer of Micro Sol (red label).    After 5-10 minutes I may apply another round of heat and Micro Sol.  After that, leave them alone until the next day at which time you should apply a protective clear gloss coat.  Most recently I used this process on the roundels for my WNW DH.9a Ninak.  When all is said and done, they look painted on.

Eric