Author Topic: SPAD XIII Esc 67 - get on with it!  (Read 12875 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: SPAD XIII Esc 67 - get on with it!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 04:30:12 AM »
Hi Richard,
Heh he - you're on your own regards rockets!!
That said I don't recall ever seeing shots of rocket fitted SPADS.
That's a good resource site you've found.

Mike

I'm not even sure what kind of rockets they are!

My instinct is there is going to be some interesting stuff in there

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »
Cannot help with either the colour scheme or the rockets but I do really like that cockpit interior - and not too much detail either. Let your eyes do the work!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:33 AM »
I have seen a few SPAD VIIs from the Storks Group armed with rockets but no SPAD XIIIs. I think by 1918 which is the time frame of your SPAD 67 bird they were not very much in use. That being said it is your build  8) By the way the photo you posted is included in the Osprey GC12 book and is confirmed as a Bleriot built bird, Post War/1919.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2020, 06:03:02 PM »
I have seen a few SPAD VIIs from the Storks Group armed with rockets but no SPAD XIIIs. I think by 1918 which is the time frame of your SPAD 67 bird they were not very much in use. That being said it is your build  8) By the way the photo you posted is included in the Osprey GC12 book and is confirmed as a Bleriot built bird, Post War/1919.
RAGIII

That is definitely a SPAD XIII with rockets, I found it in this collection: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10974.0

And I'm not planning to fit them to this one

Good to get the Bleriot confirmation, thanks Rick

Richard

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
RAGIII

That is definitely a SPAD XIII with rockets, I found it in this collection: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10974.0

And I'm not planning to fit them to this one

Good to get the Bleriot confirmation, thanks Rick

Richard

Richard, I think My comment was poorly worded! What I meant was that I didn't think SPA. 67 or any of the Storks were fooling with rockets in the time period.  The ones in the photo are of a type I haven't seen. Experimental?
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2020, 02:55:04 AM »

Richard, I think My comment was poorly worded! What I meant was that I didn't think SPA. 67 or any of the Storks were fooling with rockets in the time period.  The ones in the photo are of a type I haven't seen. Experimental?
RAGIII

I don't recognise them either, they look much more deadly than the Le Prieur ones - they always remind me of fireworks

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 05:38:45 AM »
Well, this has been hard:

I had to resist completely remaking the top of the guns to replicated the Birkigt trigger motors, belt release levers, gun sight and all sorts of other fiddly stuff

I have compromised, these are the Hobbycraft guns with PART Poland etched jackets, a modified Eduard Brassin cocking handles and a scrap of styrene for the belt release levers. I've also held back on the rest of the fairing. There will be a bit of sticky up something to replicate the Birkigt drive system after the fairings are painted

Back to the apron

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2020, 07:17:12 AM »
Yeah, wood filled wires... a real treat to model  ::) I hope to come up with a simple solution on mine.
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
Yeah, wood filled wires... a real treat to model  ::) I hope to come up with a simple solution on mine.
RAGIII

I found a solution - that's the only 'plane I have found so far with them. So I can ignore it!

I did something like them on my DH2:

What I did was rig the two wires, tie a knot around them at the ends to pull them together, then painted them

Richard

Offline smperry

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
Richard
There were some similar bound flying wires on the PS.7 which I ignored.

I have been following your build closely as it is so relevant to mine. I keep telling myself that if Richard can do it in 1:48 I can in 1:28...I keep telling myself. I have been saving all the Spad pictures you have come up with, they are a huge help. Seeing what is what makes detailing much easier.
Those guns look great, I love the cocking handles.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »
I have been following your build closely as it is so relevant to mine. I keep telling myself that if Richard can do it in 1:48 I can in 1:28...I keep telling myself.

Oh don't worry - I can't do this in 1:48. This kit is 1:32!

Richard

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »
Hi all,
I believe the wood inserts were fitted to reduce vibration in the twin wires.
Some other aircraft designs had a bracing strut fitted between the front and rear wires, which effectively did the same thing,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »
Seatbelts!

I don't have any printed or etched ones to hand, to e honest I'm not convinced by the colours of the printed ones anyway. I do have paper glue and paint!

If you do try this, I found I couldn't 'cut' those shapes with a scalpel without cutting through bits I needed. The trick is to just push the tip of the blade through in the corners

The stitching is drawn on with a pencil

Doesn't bear very close examination, when it is in the cockpit...

Those decals are lovely!

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 07:13:02 PM »
I found when the lower wing was fitted, there was a step between the tank and the fuselage, the tank sitting too far into the fuselage. I fitted 0.005" strips front and back and it is now much better

Richard