Author Topic: Any interest in a coronavirus lockdown themed morale builder build?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Any interest in a coronavirus lockdown themed morale builder build?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 01:25:21 AM »
I would be very happy to join in too... I have plenty of stalled/shelf of doom/half abandoned/forgotten (I admit it!) models. Also working full time plus, so expect my usual seriously slow progress... Regards, keep safe, Marc.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 05:40:48 PM »
Any more interested in a coronavirus-themed morale build? So far we have around 12 indicating they would take part.

I had hoped we would have some more with stalled/ unfinished/ shelf of doom projects for which being stuck at home is a great excuse to dust them off and finish them.

Although the concept was for a WW1 build, what if we threw it open to include any and all models? This is a special theme build to cope with the world's biggest lockdown.

Expressions of interest would be welcome, or would you prefer a different theme? It's your Forum folks, let's have your feedback.

Stay safe and stay well everyone.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petero

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 08:48:29 PM »
I recently moved, so most of my shelf of doom got trashed. The two that I still have are both WW2 aircraft - Meng’s 1/32 Me 163 Komet, and Special Hobby’s 1/32 I.A.R. 81C. I could finish one of them while working on my current, even more off-topic, build, Red Iron’s 1/35 Vostok spacecraft.

Peter

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 01:29:06 AM »
Some nice projects there, Peter! Especially the Vostok!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 05:47:55 AM »
Great idea Dave, unfortunately I only have one WW1 stalled build. It can only be completed with the arrival of new decals which are held up in the post. Would a learner build quality?

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 07:59:56 AM »
Sorry Dave but I think it's a naff Idea.Building models has in my mind alway's been associated with happy times,This virus is not what it seems,it's far more insidious than we realise,and MSM are not helping but spread fear!!!!!! 

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »
Sorry Dave but I think it's a naff Idea.Building models has in my mind alway's been associated with happy times,This virus is not what it seems,it's far more insidious than we realise,and MSM are not helping but spread fear!!!!!!

Well Thumbs Up you have certainly given us your unvarnished view. It may very well be a naff idea ( not my first either if truth be told) but all I was trying to do was give a platform for forum members to have a shared morale building experience that links all of us around the globe during this evil virus shutdown. So sure, naff idea. I was going to set it up but obviously you think I should not. Spreading too much fear maybe? Its easy to criticise, not so easy to offer a creative solution?

So I would love to hear your suggestion for a unifying forum event.

Regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »
Hi Dave,
  I felt that you were inviting the troubles of the World into our sanctuary!

Much Love

Laz.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 03:18:31 AM »
Dave, I think it's a great idea for a group build, however I have no WWI builds on hold! my only shelved build at the moment is a kenworth truck, a bit far from our usual topics!

Offline Europapete

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:48 AM »
I suppose I should, because the added pressure of a group build may be what I need to actually FINISH something, and start my first build log. No pressure, none at all. Oh, BTW, did I say that I am INCREADABLY crap with computers and it takes me all day to post one picture? I hope it has a long time frame. Regards, Pete in RI. ps, what would you all like to see? SE5a or Dr1? (Voss).

Offline Europapete

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
Hi Ian! check your mailbox,

Offline Monty

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 02:06:00 AM »
The Dr1, Pete! The Dr1! and remember, the cowling colour is... purple! Rgards, Marc ;D ;D

Offline aliluke

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »
Hi Dave
I'm on for this - shake me out of model making lethargy! Going to have wrest back my modelling space from my recently returned uni student daughter though - not sure when I can do that...not sure what I should dust off...HMS Fly (probably not), the Dutch Whaler (definitely not), the Hansa-Brandenburg - yep (I guess...).

Thumbs up!

A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
It would be nice,
but I found that the COVID-19 lock down meant more work, even if from home :)
I do not have to travel to the office everyday, but the spare time is close to none
So in the last month I just get prepared to finish some shelf of doom model, but in the end I've spent just three or five hours modelling.
er me

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
Rather than ally a group build to current events, how about a fun build.
We all have a box of unused 'spares' we'll probably never use, and decals as well.
Maybe let loose imaginations and build totally fictitious WW1 era aircraft, sort of 'what if', steam punk designs.
A 'Fun-Dekker' build where your model can be along the lines of the Revell-Monogram 'Funfdekker' model:
 You sketch out your design
 Use you basic and scratch building skills to build it
 Create your own colour scheme and markings.

There would be no need to worry if you have this correct or that needs modifying etc, as it's a totally unreal aircraft.
Most of all it could be fun to build and maybe take you away from everything that's going on right now.

Just a thought,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.