Author Topic: Any interest in a coronavirus lockdown themed morale builder build?  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
As we all adjust to the realities of a world where the coronavirus has effectively enforced us all into a lockdown in our homes, I'm looking for ways in which our global WW1 model community can overcome the challenges of coping with our enforced isolation.

So this post is to gauge any interest in a sort of theme build idea, not a Group Build competition as such, more a "community build" in a special group thread.

The idea I'm thinking of has the theme of reviving stalled builds from the Shelf of Shame. Show us projects you have stalled on, and then re-start them toward completion.

If there is sufficient interest in the idea I can create a special community theme build board, to run until this global pandemic is defeated and life returns to normal.

This would not be a competition build event but I will offer a forum prize of a kit or two to entries that best capture the spirit of a community supporting one another in great adversity by showing how WW1 models can boost our morale in these trying times.

If we go ahead with this it would cover any and all scale models covering the WW1 era - land, sea and air. Any scale.

So first, let's gauge if there's interest in this idea. Anyone got a stalled model project ( stuck on the shelf for months/ years?) and looking for a good reason to dust it off and re-start? If so the coronavirus theme build is here for you.

Please let me know in this thread if you're interested.

Stay safe and well everyone

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Any interest in a coronavirus lockdown themed morale builder build?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »
I'm in two minds, Dave, and this is a personal thing rather than a logical one

There is something positive about taking a stalled project and giving it new life. Seems a good thing to do at this time

On the other hand, I'm avoiding modelling at the moment because my life is complicated enough with what is happening in the world. I always complicate my builds, which is why they usually stall. They don't stall forever

I'm toying with breaking out my WNW Fokker D.VII and building it out of the box, no mods, no special schemes or features.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »
I like the idea Dave. I have a couple that might fit in. I am actually already working on a shelf of Doom build for the Old WW1 modelers list. Another would be fun!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:52:04 PM »
I like the idea of taking quarantined builds, i.e. shelf if doom, and finishing them... 😊

Offline petero

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 12:15:59 AM »
Sounds like a great idea to me  :)

Peter

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 01:44:05 AM »
Good excuse to finish my Gotha G.V. finally after 4 years :) great Idea. At the moment I am busy developing a new way to make laminated propellers in the free time I have now.
If I succeed I will make them available on this website for sale in the webshop section. So far the result is quite good pictures coming soon. I had this Idea for 3 years now and finally got the time to realize it :) The first prop will be for the DH9.a Ninak. Spoiler alert I am not using wood for the propellers but they do look like they are wood :) And I had to make a machine that could copy the WNW propellers.

Ron

Offline smperry

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 03:18:10 AM »
I'm up for it Dave. I already finished 2 stalled projects for the List Shelf of Doom Cookup, but believe it or not, I have several other stalled builds. A Merlin AEG G.IV, a Roden Gotha, a Roden Strutter, a Hannover and a resin Breguer XIV. So no excuses here, I'm ready to go.
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 06:45:57 AM »
I like the idea and I'm already working on several projects from my shelf of doom. If you are going to start a new specific topic I'm in.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
I really like this idea Dave , but I'm still working . We supply safety equipment and speciality cases for Medical equipment so we are classified an essential business . But I will tag along supporting everyone  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
That's a wonderful idea, Dave!  I've got several stalled projects that have been niggling at the back of my mind lately.  It's kismet.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline fixman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:40:21 AM »
yes i like it  ,great idea i have some kits to finishing after a long time, so lets go

Offline Vickers

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 07:51:55 AM »
I think this "Community Build" idea is a promising idea, Dave W. Modelers are among the communities that typically have great resiliency in situations like this. Nightly pub crawlers and disco denizens, not so much.  ;)

I just configured my new airbrush hood this morning (and mentally smashed a champagne bottle against the bench), but this next build will simply be an icebreaker with very few embellishments. It may be an off-topic build as well, because I recently pinned down the decals required to build Imshi Mason's desert Hurricane Mk.I from the 1/32nd Fly kit and I'm quite excited about that. Regardless, I've resolved to decide on the exact model, set it on the bench, and line up the required paints before I go to bed tonight.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »
A good idea, Dave, but I, too, am still working.  Our plant makes construction materials and facemask materials.  I still have a build to complete, as well.
I'll certainly follow along to boost moral!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
Some time ago I finished my Fe2d, then my Bf-109 and my Whippet tank before. These three kits were occupying my shelf of unfinished models (I don’t call it „doom“. They just wait.... some for years, some forever...) so there’s not too much left at the moment. But however, enough to join in....
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:44:57 PM »
I will join with whatever I have on the bench. There is one unfinished shelf-queen in my cabinet but it is a model of the aircraft from 1930ies.
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10318.0
If this counts I will join with even more pleasure - it will be one extra incentive to get it completed finally.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.