Author Topic: Paint Recommendations  (Read 489 times)

Offline James

Paint Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
Thank you so much Dave. I'm gonna check these out now.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Online Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Paint Recommendations
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
Hi James

The Citadel/ Games Workshop brand paint does not get much profile on aircraft model forums but their metallics are outstanding. I use their Chainmail as a go-to for silver/ aluminium finishes and their Boltgun Metal is a darker steel-like shade I'm using on a WnW Albatros D.V right now.

These paints thin with water- I use demineralised water - and give great brush coverage.

I'm happy to answer any brush painting questions you may have. We brush painters have to support one another! :)

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline James

Paint Recommendations
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 11:20:47 PM »
Hi James

The Citadel/ Games Workshop brand paint does not get much profile on aircraft model forums but their metallics are outstanding. I use their Chainmail as a go-to for silver/ aluminium finishes and their Boltgun Metal is a darker steel-like shade I'm using on a WnW Albatros D.V right now.

These paints thin with water- I use demineralised water - and give great brush coverage.

I'm happy to answer any brush painting questions you may have. We brush painters have to support one another! :)

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia

Hi Dave, thank so much my friend. May I ask you what colors do you use for German and British aircraft from Humbrol and Vallejo? Hopefully do some paint shopping today and get the colors I need as I have none and don't know much about WW I aircraft colors.

I have never used an airbrush, though I bought one 25 years ago. Been brush painting since I was a kid in the 1970's.

James

Online Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Paint Recommendations
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 09:15:24 AM »
Hi James

I tend to mix my own formulas for British & German WW1 aircraft so it might be easier to nominate an aircraft and I can say what I'd use for it.

In general the British airplanes were all finished in PC10 and that's a real can of worms re color. Everything from olive green to chocolate brown and they are all correct!

For PC10 my options with Humbrol are a home mix of Humbrol 29 dark earth and some black, or from the tin Humbrol 155 olive green. Wingnuts nominate Humbrol 155 in their instructions and I find the Wingnut instructions are excellent for color guides. For clear doped linen I'm liking the Citadel/ Games Workshop Flayed Flesh color ( these paints have scary names for wargamer figures!)

My German mauves and greens are mixed from Citadel / Foundation range colours.

A suggestion for you is go to the Wingnuts site where all of the kit instruction booklets can be downloaded for free. These are invaluable references in their own right and the instruction books for the sold out kits are still downloadable too.

These booklets will give you an excellent assortment of suggested color mixes for German and British aircraft.

Re brush painting I believe a good quality brush (sable) will deliver a smooth mark free finish if you use properly thinned paint.

I'm working on the Wingnuts von Richthofen edition Albatros D.V right now. It's brush painted and I used a mix of Vallejo Vermilion slightly darkened to get the right hue I sought. I wanted to avoid the bright red most MVR models are finished in. Again the WnW instructions were a very important guide.

Once the painting is finished I apply two brush coats of a home brew blend of Polly Scale flat and gloss clear coats for a semi satin sheen. Sadly Polly Scale's superb coatings have been OOP for some years but I bought a goodly stock of them before they vanished.

A good matt varnish is not easily found for brush painters but the Vallejo matt is worth some attention.

The other go- to references for any of these models are Ray Rimmel's Windsock Datafiles and his outstanding series on making the various Wingnut kits. His How to make the Wingnuts Albatros publication has been my chief reference source for this build. Absolutely essential! Ray also covers paints plus many other items for each build. I can't recommend them highly enough!

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline James

Paint Recommendations
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Thank you again, Dave. I will get some Humbrol and do like you said and experiment. FANTASTIC work on the Albatros my friend.

James