Author Topic: Spark plug lead colour  (Read 1271 times)

Offline MarkyMark62

Spark plug lead colour
« on: May 08, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
As the title states, what colour were spark plug leads on German aircraft, were they just plain black. I seem to recall someone somewhere painting them
a light yellow colour.
Thanks Mark

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Spark plug lead colour
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 12:43:32 AM »
Mark,
    I may be one of the culprits who uses light yellow or tan on them however I freely admit it's strictly for aesthetics; it provides contrast and makes them "visible". Yours is a question I've often pondered but never thought to ask, I hope someone provides a definitive answer!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:50:36 AM »
Thanks Lance. I wondered if they were really a yellow colour or not. I couldn't see any reason why they would be so.
If you have gone to the trouble of adding them you want people to know they are there.
Cheers, Mark

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
I'm guessing since wires were covered with cloth  back then ( could be wrong here ) either an off white or a light tan that lance suggested . Possible as well is perhaps a light grey . I really don't think any one has ever said , not a question that comes up . Hope more chime in with their feedback .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 04:29:25 PM »
I'm guessing since wires were covered with cloth  back then ( could be wrong here ) either an off white or a light tan that lance suggested . Possible as well is perhaps a light grey . I really don't think any one has ever said , not a question that comes up . Hope more chime in with their feedback .

Terri
Thanks Terri. There's always one who has to ask an awkward question.
Regards, Mark

Offline Europapete

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
Weeellllll..........a quick google search of preserved engines shows, relatively few still have plug wires. Even fewer that look to be original. Of those that are, most appear to be dark grey/black. Looking at period black and white photo's, most look to be a dark shade. I would say go with what you think is appropiate for your model, no one can prove you wrong. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »
Here's a period diagram pic from TVAL site:

Wires look light to me.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »
Thanks to all for the input.
Cheers, Mark