Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Scale Fokker D.VII  (Read 32038 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Revell 1/28 Scale Fokker D.VII
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2020, 02:09:59 AM »
You certainly made that look as easy as you say it was. Awesome results! I don't remember so I will ask. Are the lower wings also wrong?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2020, 03:21:27 AM »
Thanks fredjocko and RAGIII,
You certainly made that look as easy as you say it was. Awesome results! I don't remember so I will ask. Are the lower wings also wrong?
RAGIII
RAGIII,
The lower wings are fine. I might need to adjust the locating holes for the struts, though. The trailing edges are commendably thin and well shaped.

Thanks again,
                                                                                                                                                                                Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
Wow, Kevin!  Great work on that wing.  I get the feeling you like D-VIIs!!???  ::)

As my son would say: "This is a Tour de France" of model building.

Excellent...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »
Looking good Kevin  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2020, 05:27:57 AM »
Good correction of the wing there- it does help when the structure has that amount of thickess.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2020, 06:30:35 AM »
What a careful build! You use the big scale as advantage to get a super correct model.
Errors of this kind are hard to correct in my 1/48 scale and I have to live with that. My trick is to distract the viewer with small details ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Jammed Vickers

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2020, 08:35:19 AM »
I just discovered your posts on the Fokker.  I remember the Spad, Camel, and Tri-plane but this is the first I've seen of the D.VII.  Some of those older Revell kits are pretty crude.  Years ago, I built their F4U-1 and wound up using the shell of the wings and fuselage.  Everything else was trashed.  You've done excellent workmanship.  I'm looking forward to the rest of it.  One question, is the kit propeller acceptable or will you have to replace it, too?
Wayne

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, 94th Pursuit Squadron, AEF

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
Nice fix on that wing!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks for following along.

Wow, Kevin!  Great work on that wing.  I get the feeling you like D-VIIs!!???  ::)

As my son would say: "This is a Tour de France" of model building.

Excellent...Dan

Thanks Dan. I don't think I've reached the "Mountain Stages" yet. This is a long slog to the finish line.

Looking good Kevin  8)

Terri

I always appreciate your feedback Terri.

Good correction of the wing there- it does help when the structure has that amount of thickess.

Stephen.

Thanks Steven. Even if a person doesn't correct the fuselage, this kit need the upper wing fixed and it was really easy.

What a careful build! You use the big scale as advantage to get a super correct model.
Errors of this kind are hard to correct in my 1/48 scale and I have to live with that. My trick is to distract the viewer with small details ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Frank, your building techniques have been a great inspiration for this build. Thanks!

I just discovered your posts on the Fokker.  I remember the Spad, Camel, and Tri-plane but this is the first I've seen of the D.VII.  Some of those older Revell kits are pretty crude.  Years ago, I built their F4U-1 and wound up using the shell of the wings and fuselage.  Everything else was trashed.  You've done excellent workmanship.  I'm looking forward to the rest of it.  One question, is the kit propeller acceptable or will you have to replace it, too?

Jammed Vickers, I'm glad you asked. I think the kit prop is suppose to represent a "Heine" unit. The aircraft I will represent was equipped with an Axial prop.
I got this from LF Models.

If I had the time I would have carved one, but not for this build.

Thanks again to everyone. I hope to get some more progress soon.

Happy modeling!
                                                                       Kevin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »
Nice looking prop. It will look even better on your beautiful Fokker Build!
RAGIII

Offline Radarman

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have not had a lot of time to dedicate to modeling for a while. The next thing for me is making
struts for this bird. I'm starting this process by making a jig to ensure thing look aligned and proper.
Here's a quick photo of my progress.

I'll be making my struts with a Albion Alloys Strutter. That's it for now.

Happy Modeling,
                                                                            Kevin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2020, 05:55:11 AM »
Looks good in the Jig. I should have asked you to make some SPAD struts  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »
She is really take shape nicely Kevin , looks good in the jig . Also nice bling for the nose , that prop is sweet !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2020, 06:02:06 AM »
Your build seems to take a lot of time, because all what you are doing is perfectly done in a clean way!
The mounting rig do not look like a tool, but seems the be the ritual object itself! So well done ...
Also the desk is clean. Nothing is left to chance!

Very very impressive.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Radarman

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2020, 03:36:55 AM »
Hello everyone,
The build is slowly moving along.
Your build seems to take a lot of time, because all what you are doing is perfectly done in a clean way!
The mounting rig do not look like a tool, but seems the be the ritual object itself! So well done ...
Also the desk is clean. Nothing is left to chance!

Very very impressive.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank. The photo of my workspace was taken on a good day. I do try to keep things organized with only one build on the bench at a time.

She is really take shape nicely Kevin , looks good in the jig . Also nice bling for the nose , that prop is sweet !

Terri

Thanks Terri. I've made the jig so it can be modified for other large kits.

Looks good in the Jig. I should have asked you to make some SPAD struts  8)
RAGIII

RAGIII let me know if I can help you out.

Out of the box the axel wing represents an OAW built aircraft. I've corrected it to reflect a Fokker built aircraft.
I've also replaced the flimsy struts with brass.

I'm coming close to the point of painting the fuselage but first need to add some small details.
The cowl fasteners were fashioned by squashing some copper wire and bending 90 degrees.

Along with those, I'm adding various access doors and fittings.

That's it for now. Thanks for the feedback and interest shown in the build.

Happy Modeling!
                                                                              Kevin