Author Topic: Spin 1:48 Ansaldo SVA 5  (Read 4982 times)

Offline AndRoby67

Re: Spin 1:48 Ansaldo SVA 5
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
Hi!
Good work in the cockpit!
About the windscreen, the one I posted was from the Official Manual, the leather head pad was not so usually installed.
Before the Vienna's Flight, all the pilots posed for official photos, sometimes using one aircraft for all, sometimes using personal mount. This is Aldo Finzi's official photo in the cockpit of 11713. You may note different style of windscreen and Aldis optical sight (I saw this in other official photos on different SVA's).

I choose this one because serial 11713 is near to yours, it's most probably that they had same windscreen style.
Roberto

Offline smperry

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 11:50:03 PM »
Roberto
Thanks for the photo. I wasn't going to do the forehead pad thing in the cockpit. As a pilot myself, I would have gotten rid of it quickly. The windshield in this most recent photo must be what the master maker had in mind when he created the part for this kit. I need to get the windshield, guns, cabanes and exhaust stacks done and installed today. I'm terrible at remembering to add such details until the top wing goes on and I start kicking myself.
Thanks again for pointing out so many details. You have turned what was almost a chore into an exciting project. While my skills are still rusty, the ole Fun-O-Meter is pegged.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 05:20:56 AM »
SP, I am really enjoying your re introduction to small Non Flying Models! Your interior/IP look fantastic. Keep on going . Your results will be Awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 05:29:06 AM »
I agree with Rick - this is coming on superbly well.

Stephen.

Offline smperry

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:20 AM »
Thanks so much y'all. Your encouragement means a lot. I think this is the right time for this model. Social distancing being all the thing it is, this model will require social viewing...no closer than 6 ft. :-)

Seriously, this will become a prized model for me considering all the things I have learned/relearned finishing it, not to mention all the help and encouragement from the folks on this forum.

Now to try and get my eyes uncrossed after drilling out 6 tiny, individual exhaust stacks.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »

I darkened up the camo and added the number on the stabilizer as in the photo Roberto posted. Also added guns, cabanes and exhaust stacks. The windshield is frustrating me as it is a poorly formed piece in very flimsy clear plastic. Cutting it out and smoothing the edges is problematic. I think I will give it a break for a day or so. I have paying RC repairs to get done. Maybe the windshield will seem more cooperative after a short break.
sp

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi,
I don't want to be "pedantic", but the "1" was painted on both the fixed part of tailplane. There were four "1" in total.
The exhaust stacks were matt black. I check on the photo of the lineup and 11721 had, right, the "nourrice" on port main wing, but camouflaged as surface.
All the rest is beautiful!
Roberto

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 10:38:41 PM »
Looking fantastic. Nice to see a SOD model taking shape!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2020, 02:20:54 AM »
Roberto, you are not being pedantic. I'm being blind and missed the other number hiding in the shadow if the rudder, even had a piece sticking out that I overlooked. Like I don't know to look out for shadows on B&W photos of WWI airplanes. Doh! Well, I can fix that as well as the gravity feed fuel tank. Thanks again, never hesitate to point something out, it's fun to learn and even if my technique is somewhat rusty, I like representing the airplane in question as closely as I can. Your help has on this build has been essential and is most appreciated.

Rick. The SoD Cookup doesn't officially start until April 1st, but I am blatantly cheating since handling all the photos and write ups is taking some time. It wouldn't do to bang the drum and get everyone going, then fail to complete my Shelf of Doom rescue project.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 05:03:56 AM »
Got a couple of paying RC repair jobs done. This far from payday, the money is best turned  over to SWMBO. Surprising how few complaints about time "wasted" with models I've been getting :-) Peace has it's price.

Back to the SVA 5. I have been messing with details until they are about as messed with as they need to be and I have nowhere to go but to attach the lower wings with 4 mm dihedral and all there is to hold them in place are the 4 resin nubs, (spars), with the 0.6mm brass tubes.

60 odd years since my first plastic model biplane and I've never used a jig, not that I haven't tried and failed numerous times, just never succeeded. So here we go again. BTW, the "W" style struts are NOT helping matters. I'm thinking hard on how to build a jig. Those who know me would say I am overthinking things as usual. Then the light comes on. I have a magnetic building bench for big flying models. Doh! So between some magnets and a few bits of foamboard I have everything in perfect alignment.

The top wing leans to the stbd., so I only needed to prop it up exactly enough to be level. I cut the little foam piece supporting the top wing a tad tall and then sanded it down until the bubble centered. Now I have to this point, placed a tiny drop of thin CA where each lower wing spar meets the fuselage in hopes it would run along the little tube and secure the joint. The top wing contacts the two inverted cabanes. I intend to place a small drop of 5 min epoxy at the apex of each pair of cabane struts and then place the wing on as shown in the photo. My idea is that the epoxy, when mixed with slightly less hardener will cure a bit flexible allowing me to fiddle the struts into the functional looking PE fittings I took great care to locate in the correct places on the wings.
That will happen after a short nap on the heating pad. My bad back can only bend over the bench so long. Stay tuned...I may even pull it off.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 07:22:56 AM »
Clever use of the Magnetic board, magnets and foam SP! This one is going to look awesome when complete!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:50 AM »
That remains to be seen Rick. I waited a good hour and checked. Perfect, except the struts aren't. They are way too long. I'm done for the day and will deal with the struts when I am fresh and in a better mood. Meanwhile I will go work on a repair job and glare nastily at the pile of struts next to the SVA 5 when I pass by the bench. :-)
sp

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:42 AM »
The darkened camo looks good.  As an RC flyer, you know everything needs to be lined up properly or it just won't fly right!

Offline smperry

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »
Thanks Ken. You got that right about alignments, the laws of aerodynamics have a more precise eye for alignment than any IPMS judge.

Well the over long struts wouldn't let me rest, so I couldn't let them rest. Most of the model has been pretty accurate and I couldn't get over the struts being so off.  I decided use some Evergreen strip to fit and fiddle and when that was right, use the length to cut the already painted struts. I was patting my self on the back for that idea while trimming and fitting the strip when I noticed the upper wing has an anhedral droop when looked at LE on. The upper wing panels were molded as one piece with a tubular attachment between the panels for the cabane struts to mount to. That broke and the pieces were glued back together at the only 2 points where the panels attached. This central tube, resin rod, is supported by the cabanes and the heavy wing panels droop.  I picked up the model with fingertips under the upper wing tips and the droop disappeared leaving the leading edges of both panels a ruler straight line. I then supported the model by the tips and held a finished strut up to check and it was now the right size. I count that a close call as I was grabbing for the X-Acto to cut a finished strut when I noticed the droop. Now that I know the cause of the strut fitting problem, I decided not to push my luck. I will install the struts later.
sp

Notice the droop?

Droop all gone. Struts were not too long, it was the wing gap that was too short.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 12:39:40 AM »
I am glad you caught the cause of the issue before cutting that strut! It would have been much more difficult to make a New One !
RAGIII