Author Topic: Spin 1:48 Ansaldo SVA 5  (Read 4983 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Spin 1:48 Ansaldo SVA 5
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »
Thanks Stephen.
I am still struggling to get the basics down pat again, but I am experienced enough to see the value of new, (to me), techniques, which is why I'm not shy to ask questions. There is so much great modeling going on here and so much to learn from so many talented people.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 10:27:37 AM »
Don't see many Spin models being built , they have some neat subjects . So far what you have done is really good work . I really like your wooden tones on the fuselage and I also like the camo effect on the top surfaces . Looking forward to more of your progress . :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »
Thanks Terri
I built their Spad A.2 years ago. Spin makes a builder's kit, but they have interesting subjects and build up nicely with some work. The hand drawn instruction sheets leave much to be desired.
sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
Nice work on the Spad . I sure wouldn't want to be the gunner though ..yikes !
I have only one of their kits ..SSW Dr.1 and yes the hand drawn instructions totally suck , but the resin past are nicely cast with very thin trailing edges . How are the decals in the kits ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
Terri
The decals make the hand drawn instructions look like a WNW instruction booklet in comparison. They are semi transparent completely chatter in water. Three coats of micro Decal Film and they are still so fragile as to be seriously hard to use. One top wing roundel broke and I went into panic mode trying to rescue it while failing to notice it had suckered down where it shouldn't have. Don't waste time on them and find replacements.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »
The SPAD is excellent! The decals must be frustrating. Love how the upper camo is coming out.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 11:43:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Normally I would remove the decals and start over, they are that bad. However this kit  has spent over a decade on the SoD and it's getting finished no matter what, so the decals can serve as a Lessons Learned reminder on old kits. Spray decal film first and then try out some of the decals from the sheet that are for another marking scheme before wetting one that goes on the model. And if called on semi transparent decals, I'm claiming the war caused a shortage if titanium in Italy, so their titanium white was thin, Hey, it works for reds on German planes :-)
sp

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 12:13:36 AM »
Hi!
SVA on port side of rudder was painted horizontally across all 3 stripes.
I'm sorry for the decal transparency. On orginal SVAs, camo on wing and tailplane was applied on the field, AFTER and around roundels, that were applied in Ansaldo.
If you adopted same system...
Don't worry and camon!
Roberto

Offline smperry

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 01:03:53 AM »
Thanks Roberto. I thought that the camo on the top wing might have been added post manufacture...Right after I finished daubing green paint over the whole wing. Like I said, I'm slowly reacquiring skills and one of the hardest to regain is thoroughly thinking things through before opening a paint bottle. I sure appreciate all your advice, in spite of the decal problems, it has made for a better model and much more enjoyment while making it.
sp

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 02:17:07 AM »
Nice work going on here.  Reinforcing the connections using metal pins is definitely the way to go.

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 05:03:09 AM »
Thank you Ken. Learning how to do that trick accurately makes this model a success in spite of the decals.

Roberto
Here are the tailfeathers all done, mounted and only slightly ruffled. I failed to check before I started priming resin, but both Stabilizer/elevator and the fin/rudder pieces have slight warps that should have met up with some hot water before they got painted. Mounting and aligning them was ever so much fun and not entirely successful. Live and re-learn I guess.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 06:08:43 AM »
You are moving along nicely SP. The tail rigging in particular looks great. As you know your build has inspired Me to go back to that 11 year old Albatros build that I never finished  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 06:14:18 AM »
Rick
After 10 years, it is kind of nice walking by the stash shelf and not seeing that box trying to guilt trip me into dropping everything and finishing it.
sp

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »
Hi!
I may only say that trying to build this kind of kit is like trying to catch a chiken with hands only.
The tail is ok, now you have to add same number on tailplane like this:

You may see number 4 on green tailplane of one of the SVAs heading to Vienna over the Alps. Maybe you can try to draw with pencil the black 1s.
In the same photo you may note type of camo on upper wing.
I don't know about your work on cockpit, this is a photo of the dashboard:

Roberto

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
That's good timing Roberto. The top wing is still unmounted and I should be able to dab some more green on to darken it up as your photo shows. I believe my cockpit came out OK. The kit had quite a few parts in both resin and PE, I know there is one large dial and a few smaller ones in the same basic layout. Nice to have a clear photo of the windscreen too. I'll go grab a photo of the cockpit. I may find some decals with a large enough black area that I can cut a numeral for the stab. Twisting it in among the rigging and control wires will be first rate modeling fun for sure :-)