Author Topic: RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72  (Read 44016 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »
keep going the way you are , you will have this finished up before Monday , really nice work Ian  :)

Terri , trying very hard to contain myself with all the joy I have deep within ...I will tone it down notch  ;)

P.S. , not type seen built very often  ;)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:21 PM »
I like the stitching a lot. Sometimes "Scale" is not as impressive as the look. JMHO.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2020, 01:14:12 AM »
Thanks Rick, I agree that in this case having it on there, albeit slightly overscale, is better than not having it at all a s it was very prominent.

Terri, sit down...we don't want you hurting yourself! Another brief update coming!  ;D

Well, another day into modeler's isolation, I feel that we, more than most, are better equipped to deal with this. At least we're not sitting around looking for something to do!

First thing this morning was to finish off the spare drum racks. I got a little carried away and added some .010" brass rod as the "bolts". 

I'm pretty pleased with those, I wasn't looking forward to trying to bend them into shape but they were relatively simple.

The tub then went back into the spray booth.

With that taken care of my thoughts turned to the nose decals. I remembered a couple of fellow posters on Britmodeler mentioning Inkscape so I downloaded that and spent the afternoon reading tutorials and playing around with it. I'm by no means good at it yet, but I did get these

They're on white paper, but I think I may print them on clear and use these as masks to spray the white, then add the red border as a decal. I don't think I'm accurate enough with a scalpel to cut those out, and they'd leave a white edge anyway. Something to do tomorrow!

Stay safe, and thanks for looking in!

Ian

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2020, 04:34:56 AM »
   The "tub" is looking very good Ian, you've done a great job on adding details and cleaning up the cosmetic work required. It's going to be a very nice addition to your shelves, and not a common one at that!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
The Tub looks Beautiful! well done on all of the details and surgery!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 09:13:42 AM »
It's too late Ian , already inflicted damage to myself !  ::) This is what happens when you keep a blonde in suspense for to long ...we wonder off and stuff just happens   :o

To tone down the stitching and blend in better would white glue mix with water brush over the stitching filling in the smaller space a just tiny tad ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2020, 03:10:19 AM »
Nice detailing, Ian.
Is Inkscape a drawing program? 

Offline IanB

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2020, 01:42:15 AM »
Thanks Lance, Rick, much appreciated!
Terri, I hope your wanderings went ok! I used some watered down Gators Grip to try to fill the gaps under the stitching, I forgot to spray it today though to see if it worked. Tomorrow!
Ken - yes, it's free too! It's quite a lot to get used to but the tutorials included are a great help and make getting started pretty simple.

A slow couple of days yesterday and today as far as the amount of work done on this, but progress is being made. Yesterday I fitted the lower wings, using gators Grip to give me time to adjust them. Needless to say that was pretty much it for the day as I wanted to be sure they were properly set before doing any more. 

This morning PPP was applied over the pins and sanded down. Of course there's only one way to be sure that it doesn't need more work so...back into the paint booth!

I gave the wings, ailerons and tail surfaces a coat of Tamiya white.

While that was drying I decided to test my eyesight and assemble the engine.

It's small!

All 9 cylinders were successfully removed from the pour frames, a task not made any easier by the fact that in between the cylinders are the spark plugs (yes, you read right!) and there are only 2 spares! It's almost impossible to get a fine saw in without knocking the plugs off, so I used a number 11 blade and scored either side then they snapped off easily. Phew!

Cylinders and spark plugs added

Of course it would have been much easier to paint it first... bugger!

Anyway, it now has a coat of Tamiya gloss black in preparation for Xtreme metal aluminium/steel tomorrow, then I can fit the rocker arms and puch rods. The rods are also supplied but they are so ridiculously thin that the last one of these I built I didn't manage to get one single push rod off without breaking it. I'll use nickel silver rod! In fact the kit I received has 4 sets of rocker arms/push rods just to provide the 9 push rods needed, the others are missing or broken! Fair play to Small Stuff for that!

Well that's it for tonight folks, stay safe and thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2020, 05:06:41 AM »
That engine looks like it will be Jewel! I have enough issues in 1/32nd so I can't even imagine doing it in 1/72nd!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »
They sure did Ian ! Ended up coming home with a 6 pack , having the last one now  ;) This is really turn out wonderful Ian , looking forward to the next round  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline IanB

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2020, 02:42:37 AM »
Next round coming up! Although not much to add this time.

This morning was spent tidying up the PPP added last evening, then it was back to the spray booth for a new coat.

and the engine got a steel coat.

I changed my plan for the number 6 on the nose. I figured it would be much easier to mask out the 6 and spray the PC10, than spraying the number, hence the white nacelle now!

After that I was planning to attack the booms, but after thinking about it I  decided to wait until I've finished the nacelle and got the cabane struts on just so that I can be absolutely sure that I get the gaps correct.

So that was it for this one for today.

Stay safe all, and thanks for looking in!

Ian
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:38:08 AM by IanB »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »
Nothing wrong with that Ian , progress is progress  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2020, 11:20:05 PM »
Looking Fantastic!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2020, 02:00:30 AM »
Cheers Terri, Rick, much appreciated!
This has slowed a little as I'm back at work on a training course. I'm not usually quite this happy to be back at work, but this is of course a little different!

Next job is to mask the rib tapes and spray CDL, so that started today. The first step is obviously to mark the tapes out, and to do that I simply copied the plans I am using an extended the tapes lines. For the lower wings I cut a large slot in the plans so I could tape them to the upper surface and see where I needed to add the tapes.

The upper wing was easier as I simply taped the ends of the wing to the plan.

I use Hasagawa 0.5mm tape for this and it's simple to apply, just hold the dispenser close to the rear edge, pull the tape forward with tweezers and line it up. I usually do all the tapes then fine tune them visually to ensure the gaps look even.

A couple of the aileron and elevator tapes are slightly inset from the wing tapes  (for the around the control horns) but they were still added as one piece then cut with a scalpel and repositioned.

A quick blast of CDL on those, as well as the prop and struts as a wood base colour, and we're done on this one for today. 

The reason I do it this way is simply to highlight the tapes. I sprayed a white base, with that masked and a CDL coat sprayed, I will then remove the masking and give it another thin CDL coat so the ribs look lighter. There's method in my madnes!

So tomorrow's job will be remove the masking and spray another CDL coat, then finish the wood on the prop and struts. I may even get the aluminium engine mounting panel done too, we'll see how quickly it dries.

Thanks for looming in, and stay safe!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2020, 03:25:18 AM »
Excellent progress. The rib tapes and wing should look perfect when done!
RAGIII