Author Topic: WnW Sopwith Pup  (Read 8905 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: WnW Sopwith Pup
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 01:44:31 AM »
If anyone has a suggestion for a Pup-scheme with metal cowlings, I'd be very interested in hearing about that.

I was very glad my chosen Pup had a black painted cowl  ;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
What about one of the training unit schemes ? with colourful and cowls painted  ;) I have Flashbacks kit in the stash and I will be going for one of those options .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »
Or maybe an 'as produced' version from the factory with no unit markings.

Offline FAf

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 02:53:12 AM »
Hi again... I've been watching quietly for a while, but thanks for the kind suggestions on the metal cowlings. I found a profile of a Pup called "Bobs" and made masks for that... then I realised it was a RNAS version with a different engine and in the end I wen't back to my original choice even though it has battleship grey cowlings rather than turned metal.

Some progress lately... I painted the PC10 using Mr Paints version. It's very thin and very brown until you've built up quite a few layers. This means that it turned out quite dark before I was happy with the colour... I'll see if I can lighten it with some oil paints later. I haven't developed a 'way' of doing ribs yet. This time I ended up masking them and then spraying thin Tamiya X19 Smoke on either side.

Obviously the smoke approach tends to show up a lot more on a lighter surface and maybe I went a little overboard on the undersides?! If you think you see a big blob on the upperwing, then you do but it's my camera having a flaw.

Masks were cut for the roundels and the SO insignia, nothing too difficult.

The roundels were then masked again to highlight the ribs using Tamiya Smoke again... really carefully this time to achieve just a subtle effect.

A question... WNW say that the under carriage should be black and then the colour profile shows them to be PC10. Does anyone have an idea about which is correct?

Take care! /Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 04:25:19 AM »
This is looking superb, the masks worked a treat. The underside ribs look great to me.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 04:27:04 AM »
Awesome work! I think the rib shading looks perfect on the undersides. As for the masks and painting...I am glad you find it easy  ;D The results are Terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
Hi Fredrik ,

Your Pup is looking excellent , nice job on the shading the underside . The Tamiya smoke will show more once a flat coat is applied or even semi-gloss .  ;)

Sorry , but I don't have answer to your strut information . I know very little about this type , but it could be a typo in the color paint chart ? They have made this error before in their kits , so the profile could be correct .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2020, 11:19:17 PM »
Hi Fredrik ,

Your Pup is looking excellent , nice job on the shading the underside . The Tamiya smoke will show more once a flat coat is applied or even semi-gloss .  ;)

Sorry , but I don't have answer to your strut information . I know very little about this type , but it could be a typo in the color paint chart ? They have made this error before in their kits , so the profile could be correct .

Terri

Looking at the Camel Directions they give the gear struts as either black or PC10. I guess it is not that easy to tell the difference from most photos?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 02:16:20 AM »
Hello Fredrik,
great to see someone on the same way like oneself, but a lot further on this way. I like your progress, especially the painted on markings. Regarding the fuselage color question I only can say that I saw many planes with PC-10 colored fuselage struts (RE-8s, B.E.s, ...) but I can’t remember having seen a fuselage with black struts on a British plane. So I would go with PC-10, but that doesn’t mean that black isn’t possible as well.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline FAf

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 03:41:57 PM »
Thanks for your input, Richie, Rick, Terri and Andreas!
Typos are of course a possibility, as are conclusions drawn from restorations and replica builds... and if Andreas is suggesting PC10, then I might go with that. It feels likelier.
/Fredrik

Offline Borsos

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 06:28:29 PM »
Thanks for your input, Richie, Rick, Terri and Andreas!
Typos are of course a possibility, as are conclusions drawn from restorations and replica builds... and if Andreas is suggesting PC10, then I might go with that. It feels likelier.
/Fredrik

Hello Fredrik,
I’d like to / i have to correct myself. The same color callout appears also in the instruction booklet of the old RNAS boxing of the Pup. So I went through my references, mainly the WDFs, and on some photos it seems as if the color of the undercarriage legs is actually darker than the PC-10 on the fuselage. And it wouldn’t be without a certain logic: The metall fairings on the wooden structure are all painted black and as the untercarriage legs are metal, so they could have been painted black as well.  :-\
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2020, 04:22:23 AM »
Hope this pic might help, it is the Pup from the Shuttleworth collection with black gear struts.

20200229_110811 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2020, 05:36:21 AM »
So it's either way and I get to choose... I might go for black then. It would give a bit of contrast.

Thank you so much for your input Andreas and Richie!
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
Fredrik, you build here a lovely Pup! Great paint work, and you make a good use of your cutting machine!

One word for the gear: The struts were metal, so black. But the lower board, below the half axles pipes, was wood again.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »
Thanks Frank!
So not so much of a choice for me then - black it is!
I'm doing a lot of small work on the Pup right now and fighting an urge to start an Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth... hopefully there will be progress to show in a bit.
/F