Author Topic: WnW Sopwith Pup  (Read 8985 times)

Offline FAf

WnW Sopwith Pup
« on: January 24, 2020, 06:32:02 AM »
Hello again!
The very first biplane model I bought was the WnW Sopwith Pup. That was when WnW maintained that they wouldn't release a Camel, so I thought that I would take the Pup instead. The model turned out to be amazing and a bit daunting... so it remained in its box for a long time. Along came my normal WWII models as well as four 1/72 scale Eduard Fokker Dreideckers and then finally Ltn. Wolf's Albatros D.V (which I accidentally might have said was my first multiwing build for 40 years - I forgot about the Fokkers). And now I thought it would be good to practice building and painting a British double decker before going on to the Camel. I especially want to try and get some variation into that PC10!

I'm building a few other kits on the side, so progress isn't fast and I'm not a fast builder generally... so don't hold your breath!
Some pictures...

I tried to add a bit of structure to the stick using thin copper wire. The main problem was that I broke it while threading the wire and had to replace the centre pieces with brass tubing.

Things on sticks have been primed and the cockpit has been started on.

Cockpit installed - almost forgot to add the internal wires and ended up with just glueing them in place. I also didn't realise that you would be able to see so much behind the seat, so I will have to install some sort of blocking sheet there.

New gun from Gaspatch. I will probably tone down the aluminium highlights later. I had to do a bit of surgery to make it fit but it's all underneath the gun and invisible once everything is in place.

A start on the engine parts and the cowling. I tried my hand on that specially treated metal on the cowling, but I think I will redo this for two reasons. 1) The aluminium is too rough and maybe not shiny enough and 2) the chrome dots applied are to uneven both in size and placement.

I am focussing on two Arma Hobby Hurricanes right now and will return here in a bit.
/Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

Re: WnW Sopwith Pup
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 06:49:38 PM »
Great to see you working on a Wingnuts Fredrik! Lovely job so far.

I’ve got an Armor Hobby Hurri in the queue.. they look lovely don’t they?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »
Some lovely work  8)
Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
Bob  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 01:26:44 AM »
Outstanding progress. Really coming along quite well!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 04:52:56 AM »
Good job breaking that stick - the new one looks much better!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 05:07:23 AM »

Richard

Agree with Richard 100%

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »
Moving right along quite well , really like those metal tones on the vickers . Most excellent !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 03:39:42 AM »
Thank you all for your support. I'm not quite ready to move on yet, but it shouldn't be far off.

Great to see you working on a Wingnuts Fredrik! Lovely job so far.

I’ve got an Armor Hobby Hurri in the queue.. they look lovely don’t they?

Guy

Thank you Guy and yes they do look lovely! Will be done soon and should be able to return to the Pup.

Richard

Agree with Richard 100%

Thanks Richard and Juan! I agree too and sometimes you just have to realise that chance is on your side... Let's see what other unintended improvements I will have to make during the build.  ;)

Moving right along quite well , really like those metal tones on the vickers . Most excellent !

Terri

Thanks Terri. Vallejo metal colours to the rescue. I still think I might tone down the highlights a bit...
/F
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:50:00 AM by FAf »

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 06:27:25 AM »
So I did put in some work on the Pup even if my Hurricanes aren't done yet. I mentioned before that I was trying to replicate that Sopwith treatment on the metal cowling and that I wasn't too happy about the results. Here's the new effort...

Using my plotter, I made a piece of mask with 0,4 mm holes with 0,6 mm spacing. Usually one curses the machine for pulling small item off the backing paper. This time it left far too many small circles in place. So after having removed enough of them I cut a much smaller piece from it and went to work.

The metal parts had been repainted with a gloss black and then Alclad airframe aluminium. My idea was to spray chrome through the mask and that way create the Sopwith treatment... Good results for the idea I think!  :)

It's difficult to photograph metal colours. I think it looks better in real life. The pictures tend to exaggerate the contrast and make the dots stand out a bit too much. However, maybe I should have had a lighter shade for the aluminium and a darker shade for the dots?! Any thoughts on that?  ???
/F

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 09:59:36 AM »
The way those 'dots' were created was by taking a piece of coarse abrasive paper, mounting it on a pad in the end of a drill and pushing it against the aluminium. It was all done by hand, and produced a pretty random patterning of overlapping swirls

Yours are far to regular and much too small

Have a look at this:

https://www.brilliantdiy.com/swirl-pattern-aluminium/

Or this:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/04/15/skills-101-basic-metal-shearing-and-engine-turning/

Richard

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 03:01:11 PM »
Great technique - thanks for taking the time to post your method!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline FAf

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »
Thanks Gary! It hopefully helps someone and maybe someone can take it and improve it.

Richard; I both agree and disagree with you. Based on my source, yes I know it's just the one but at least it is contemporary and of a Pup, the pattern is actually smaller than what I've done and quite regular even if it isn't quite as regular as mine...  See below (Source: Wingnut Wings, Sopwith Pup RFC, p. 12 and I do apologise for the fact that my FAf (C) is on it, it is absolutely NOT my copyright).

In my view, building models is about creating a convincing likeness of the original. Sometimes this calls for the builder to do things in a way that can't be found on the original, e.g. highlights, using several shades of the same colour to break up large areas, etc. I'm happy in many ways with my representation of the above. When I look at it in reality and at a greater distance than the extreme close-up photos show, then it looks really good. But I am still wondering if it could be worth my time and effort to redo it anyway?!

I'm thinking that I could try and make even smaller circles. I think it'll have to be circles even if the original marks aren't circular. Put it down to the limitations of the machine. I'm also wondering whether I should try with other colours. Two options come to mind here - 1) dark aluminium and lighter dots but less contrast than now or 2) switch it around and have a lighter cowling and lighter dots. 

The second approach is contrary to the above image, but the result could be better and therefore "correct" according to the idea of creating something that looks right when finished, rather than something that is done the right way but looks wrong.

I'll probably do some tests off subject and then decide on whether I should strip it back and redo it.

Comments and suggestions more than welcome!
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 01:33:44 AM »
I like your results. A very good technique to replicate, not duplicate, the pattern.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 02:25:36 AM »

I was trying to find a good example. Notice the overlapping 'scales' on the left hand panel in slightly uneven lines. The cowl is very uneven because it is really hard to keep regular patterns working by hand on a curved surface.

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 02:29:16 AM »
This was my attempt at this  - it's tricky to replicate:

Richard