Author Topic: Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48, Upd 28.6.2020 Suspension  (Read 20250 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48 Upd 27.3.2020 Wooden fuselage
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:51 AM »
Frank,
    I was just scrolling back catching up on this Build and saw your comment about using paper strips vs, tape for masking the engine. Someone here suggested "Post It" or sticky notes some time back in lieu of plain paper and I use it often, it works well and a bit of tape as you've included here helps.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2020, 04:16:32 AM »
I am losing it Frank: I had not seen that you had resumed this build!

The wood finish is, as always with your models, first class.

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2020, 04:33:01 AM »
Your wood leaves me speechless, fantastic Frank.

Bughunter

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2020, 05:40:33 AM »
Wow, what a huge amount of feedback! Thank you all!

I am in the same school as you apparently. Light and Dark vs Pattern!
Especially in 1/48 scale. The feedback I got for the Benz Motorwagen in 1/24 using the same technique was overwhelming and the wooden parts was mentioned often.

I'm glad you are feeling better and it's good to see you are back on track with this build.
Thx, and yes, this project progress is well advanced last autumn, this promise a good progress and it would be pity to let it end as shelf queen.

Lance, to try Post It is a good idea,  not thought about it until now - idea stored, thanks!

I am losing it Frank: I had not seen that you had resumed this build!
You haven't missed anything. I just took the albatross off the shelf on Friday 8)

Regarding the wood grain: I must admit, that it was hard again to show the real appearance on photos! After I see the macros here I thought still too much grain, but on the model with naked eye it looks better - less grain, more difference in brightness.

At the moment I'm working on the lozenge - 3 wings is a lot of work!

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48 Question: which rib tape coplor?
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2020, 01:46:05 AM »
Hello my friends and experts,

I'm still fighting with/against Aviattic Lozenge - a bit out of luck this time ::)
3 wings with upper and lower, 6 aileron cut outs, 6 wing tips, a lot of bubbles ... are driving me nuts. This can only be handled in small portions. And before I smash it on the wall, I'd better put the pieces aside.

Ok, once this is finished I have to add a huge amount of rib tapes. But here I have some questions!

As reminder here the Wikipedia picture, at least it is clear, that no lozenge rip tapes are used, but a bright color.
The rudder looks like 5 color lozenge (print version of this picture), so I guess the rest too. Eduard provides also 5 color lozenge.

• The kit contains rib tapes as decals, one piece half pink (for below) and a bit dark blue (for upper side I guess).  Was this a common procedure?
    Which color was the on leading edge? For this no tapes provided by the kit.
  • If I see other Albatros (color pictures from replica today) I often see complete pink tapes, upper, lower and leading edge. On WingNutWings site I found example for both, blue or pink, but completely in one color.
  • The color side view painting of the Albatros Dr.II on the backside of the Windsock "Albatros Experimentals" has blue tapes on the leading edge, the others are not visible.
If important: the Dr.I was in tested Septemper 1917.

I tend to complete pink tapes (have more spare fro this and others in glass cabinet are blue already :D)
Any info, idea or thoughts?

Thank you very much,
Frank

Edit says, the fuselage serial was D1573/17
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:51:58 AM by Bughunter »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48 Question: which rib tape coplor?
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
I doubt that there is a"Correct" answer. To me you would be safe with Pink, blue, or even CDL rib tapes. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:46 AM »
I agree with Lance. They used whatever was on hand.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2020, 05:25:12 AM »
Andreas

Andreas,
    I wish I had said what Rick said about the tapes, but I didn't!  :) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36:24 AM »
Andreas

Andreas,
    I wish I had said what Rick said about the tapes, but I didn't!  :) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Well....  :o However... what a wonderful agreement between Max, Charlie and me.. ;D :'(
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:46 AM »
Are you winning Andreas ? ;)

Frank , in agreement with the others . This type never went into production , it failed big time . The tapes are there just well conclied . To my eye in the photo you posted the tapes appear to be CDL . Blue would show dark as well as the pink . Pink and blues tapes weren't the same tone of colour . Some batches were light or dark within . So like the others go with what you have and you feel is right . There isn't a lot of info out there on this old bird so some of these details won't have anything other then the odd photo .

Yes that is a lot lozenge and tapes to apply , this would take me a bit of time and something I would get bored with very quickly . You are doing a fantastic on this one and I do look forward on the next round of pic's

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »
Hi Frank,
I'm sure you know that there is another photo of the Dr.I, a 3/4 port front view. Better view of lozenge on rudder.
Ribbing tapes stands out also in this second, with clearly visible the one on leading edge.
"Studying" both photos, I think to agree with Terri about CDL tapes.
But, again, no sure proofs at all, if you use your amount of pink who can say you're wrong?
My two cents!
Roberto

Bughunter

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2020, 02:36:25 AM »
Thank you all for your answers!
I wanted to avoid overlooked a rule like Albatros built blue, OAW pink, LVG linen ... Now I'm sure such rule was not existant :)

Yes that is a lot lozenge and tapes to apply , this would take me a bit of time and something I would get bored with very quickly .
Mee too, Terri, mee too!

You are doing a fantastic on this one
This is not clear yet ::)
I think I put to much Clear Orange on the fuselage and failed somehow to get a brighter panel on the front, as shown by picture. I used on it Clear yellow only, but I do not like the outcome.
Let's see ...

On the other hand the amount of small PE parts in this kit is impressive! It provides two "wire lifting handles" for the tail, that I have never seen before. After searching awhile I found a picture on the details pages Albatros D.V/D.Va in the Windsock Datafile Special "Albatros Fighter".

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
Eduards older kits when they first started coming had impressive PE detail for the smaller items . Now that detail is moulded on and some of that detail is alright , other detail is just better in PE . The slightly darker panels ...lets see ..heat distortion form the rads  ;) and oil stain on the chin  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

Albatros Dr.I, Eduard 1/48, Upd 3.5.2020 Rib tapes
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2020, 03:42:48 AM »
Rib tapes

After the Dolphin is going on hold I continued here with the discussed rib tapes.
I used the brightest rose ones. This is an A4 sheet (this should be enough for all 3 wings) printed by Pegasus 1994. Even that old the tapes are still ok.

This is the result on upper side:

and below:

I think this is looking ok and I will continue that way.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2020, 03:51:11 AM »
Andreas

So you followed Lance and Andreas' advice after all and used what was to hand! Good idea - and they look good by the way.

Stephen.