Author Topic: WNW Hannover Cl.II (Early)  (Read 5161 times)

Offline uncarina

WNW Hannover Cl.II (Early)
« on: November 29, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
Want to get an idea of how to assemble a Swiss watch? By a Wingnut Wings kit! I'm building the Hannover Cl.II early version, "White 4" Royal Prussian Schusta 12.

As with most WWI subjects, colors are an open topic, and WNW interprets this aircraft as having the lower lozenge pattern on the upper wings, with plain linen underneath. The kit contains decals for this, but they don't quite match the lower lozenge pattern on the lower surfaces:

The lozenge third from the bottom is the WNW interpretation, but they aren't a match for the lower surface lozenge pattern just below. Inspired by the Aviattic decal sets that have come out for the WNW Halberstadt CL.II (Early) kit which also have the lower lozenge pattern on the upper wing surfaces, I went ahead and purchased one of their lower lozenge sheets. I will cut these using the kit decals as a template and use the WNW ribtapes. I also have Ray Rimell's excellent build guide, where he assembles the same aircraft but with a different interpretation of the lozenge pattern. All good! Having had such success with the water-based oils made by DecoArt for my Sopwith Camel build (RFI coming hopefully soon), I used these on this build as well:

They function just like oils for simulating wood but dry as fast as acrylics and clean up with water. Thanks to Mike (Sandbagger) Norris for the tip! Here is where I am so far with the build:

Cheers,  Tom

Offline uncarina

Re: WNW Hannover Cl.II (Early)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:51:50 AM »
More progress: I closed the fuselage halves and began painting. I started with the underside of the fuselage, which has a speculative finish, according to the WNW instructions. Their interpretation is a series of transverse bands of the alternating five colors of the painted lozenge that is on the non-linen surfaces. Since this was not carved in stone, and without evidence to the contrary, I replicated the lozenge pattern for the underside painted surfaces. My first attempt was painting and masking with irregular lozenge shapes each of the five colors, which was suboptimal since I underestimated the size of each lozenge shape, and because it created a noticeable layering effect, resulting in the first colors appearing sunken. My second attempt used a lozenge pattern that I cut onto Tamiya masking tape, with each color labeled:

I used Tamiya colors matched to the kit decals, and here the first color is ready to be applied. Eventually, and with significant touching up (meanwhile I was getting used to a new airbrush), I achieved this result:

Photographs indicate that the fuselage sides and top were also painted with a lozenge pattern, then overcoated forward of the tailplane/rudder with Prussian blue. Because of this, I won't be replicating the entire pattern, but instead I plan to add the lozenge colors that are lighter and darker than the overcoat. To be continued!

Cheers,  Tom

Offline Robin

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:42:41 AM »
I take a front row seat here. :)

This one is on top of my wish list and I already have the Windsock Special...it's a start. :-\

Ingeneous lozenge masking!

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
Very nice so far. Your painted lozenge looks great. I also very much like your wood grain with the water based oils. Do they give you plenty of working time to develop a grain pattern?

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »
Fantastic start Tom, looking forward to your progress.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
Very well done indeed ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline uncarina

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your support and  encouragement! This is my first actual work in progress, and please feel free to offer your perspective and advice.

Sincerely,  Tom

Offline uncarina

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
Very nice so far. Your painted lozenge looks great. I also very much like your wood grain with the water based oils. Do they give you plenty of working time to develop a grain pattern?

Albert, thank you! The acrylic oils do dry so fast that a slightly different approach is needed (I use a broader flat brush for larger surfaces) However, they can be easily cleaned up with water and reapplied. This is my second build using them and I won’t hesitate to recommend them.

Cheers,  Tom

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »
Beautiful start and absolutely marvelous job with the painted lozenge! /Fredrik

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 04:19:39 PM »

Albert, thank you! The acrylic oils do dry so fast that a slightly different approach is needed (I use a broader flat brush for larger surfaces) However, they can be easily cleaned up with water and reapplied. This is my second build using them and I won’t hesitate to recommend them.

Cheers,  Tom
Thank you Tom. My local art supply store has some water based oils. I'll pick up a couple of tubes and give it a try.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 06:04:29 PM »
Will follow your build, Tom: Great, so far!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 01:15:09 AM »
    A really great looking start Tom, the interior work is extremely "clean" and the details very impressive. Interesting work on the painted lozenge as well, the masking must have given you fits however it's well worth the effort looking at the results before the over coat. I have this Kit and admit to being somewhat deterred from starting when considering the fuselage painted lozenge, this is a Build I'll be following with great interest. Keep up the terrific work, this is going to be a spectacular model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncarina

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 02:33:37 AM »
Thanks for your encouragement! I have learned a lot from following your builds and those of the others on this fine forum, and in fact it has been an inspiration for this build. The lozenge work was challenging indeed, but one of the things I love about modelling this genre is how it has compelled me to try many new techniques. I am very curious to see how the painted lozenge will integrate with the decals. In the meantime, I am cutting out patterns for the more subdued side and upper lozenge. Once I’ve added this, I will add the decals and lightly overspray the mottled Prussian blue.

Cheers,  Tom

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 03:26:55 AM »
Amazing work, Tom - I'm following with keen interest indeed. I have two of the older kits in the stash and your build will certainly help me figure out this tricky painting step for when I attempt mine.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline uncarina

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »
Gary,

You are very kind! I’m sort of making it up as I go, so there are probably better approaches!

Cheers, Tom