Author Topic: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"  (Read 30941 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »
   My project for the "Two Seater" Group Build is the Wingnut Wings Bristol F2b Fighter as "A-7288" flown by Canadian Ace Captain Andrew McKeever with Observer/Gunner 2/Lt.Leslie Powell from Fere-en-Tardenois France with No. 11 Squadron in November of 1917.
"Andy" McKeever was the highest scoring ace on Brisfits with 31 confirmed kills, all but 2 single seat Albatros fighters. Leslie Powell was credited with 19 aircraft destroyed making him a multiple ace in his own right.
   References for the Build include the excellent Albatros Publications Bristol F2b Data File Special Vol. 1, Osprey's Bristol F2 Aces, Squadron/Signals Bristol Fighter in Action, and Ray Rimmel's build article in Windsock Worldwide Mar/April 2009. I'm also poring over Des's build of this Kit for inspiration.
   A bag full of After Market goodies will be used where appropriate including products from HGW (Seat Belts), Copper State and Tom's Modelworks, Eduard, Aero Club, and Airscale with some sheet brass and "Strutz" Streamlined Brass Wire if required. I've got Pheon's Bristol F2b Fighter Aces in France Decal Sheet for the markings, Thanks Rowan, magnificent product as usual.
   By all reports this Kit is one of WNW's best and I'm looking forward to the build. The pressure is "on" as several other members here are doing the same aircraft. Competition motivates excellence they say; hopefully I can keep up with the "Masters"!
    Progress presently is limited to researching via the references the many "AMS" driven additions I'm considering. I plan to go with at least the upper cowlings removed which will no doubt deem the engine a project unto itself. Bad desease that AMS!
   The standard start-up photos will follow later today, still trying to muster the courage to attack the wicker seat per Gary's (Trackpad) excellent results as the first actual step in the project.
Cheers,
Lance :-\ ;)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:21:46 AM by lcarroll »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:37 AM »
  Lance,
I'm looking forward to seeing the first progress shortly my old friend. No doubt we're all in for one awesome build thread.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your build of this kit Lance, as I have said many times before, I regard this kit as Wingnut's best. There is plenty of room for super detailing if you so desire but built OOB still results in a brilliant model. The engine is a model in it's own right, it is superb and the fuselage interior details are amazing. Hope you really enjoy building this kit Lance, I'm sure you are going to end up with a show stopper model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »
Here's the standard opening shot, the Kit in all it's beauty....................

The References I have on hand; I'll also be using info on this site and others to gather details.

Some of the After Market bits I've gathered up for this build, mostly from my stash/stock.

And last the Pheon Decal Sheet, can't wait for this stage (3-4 months?!?)

...................and He's off to a crawling start!
Updates to follow once there's some reasonable progress............ ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:48:19 AM »
Greg & Des,
    Thanks for the encouraging remarks. Between your words and 3 or 4 fellow members' efforts on the same Build the bar has been placed pretty high............should be a real "barn burner" of an experience!
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »
Hello, Lance!

Well, you've certainly got an arsenal of ammunition for your build, and I wish you all the best of good luck with it! Looking at your photo of aftermarket items, I may have a few of them around here somewhere: must do a search and rescue mission! I look forward to learning a few hints and tips from your build ( and that of Chris as well, when he starts) and I'll be glad to help you and Chris as and when the opportunity arises.

Again, Good Luck, my friend!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
And all the same thoughts and offers to you as well Gary. Between this and the looming Sopwith Tripe we are well on our way to commemoratiing some great Canadian Heros. Not enough of that done IMHO although I was touched by the excellent gestures I observed in the workplace when I worked Sunday 11th. Great "beer story" for next Summer I hope.
Break a leg on your Brisfit and I'll be here to grab whatever I can from you!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
With all of the detail sets and references you've accumulated Lance, I'm looking forward to watching your progress. You and Gary will do McKeever proud with your builds. Of that I'm sure. As for me, my lone reference consists of the Squadron title. You never should've let me see the refs you have on hand! Just kidding, as my build will be basically OOB. I'm doing some soul searching right now about the pluses and minuses pertaining to super detailing. However I end up doing my Biff, I'm firmly in it for the fun and camaraderie.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
I'm doing some soul searching right now about the pluses and minuses pertaining to super detailing. However I end up doing my Biff, I'm firmly in it for the fun and camaraderie.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

I've gone through that as well. I've come to the conclusion that I want to build "comfortably," and that means that I'll do what I can, within the limits of my abilities, to produce a pretty good model. I know that I'll never attain the level of, say, Des: that guy is a durn wonder. But I'll enjoy my builds, do the best I can, and also enjoy the cameraderie of this forum.

Someone slap me up the side of my head: getting too philosophical! Bring on the styrene! ;)  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
Gary/Chris,
   You both had me fooled.........for Guys who produce your quality I believe the fun and cameraderie are not the only effects. I agree, when it ceases to be fun, were done! We all succumb to some degree of AMS; my personal rule is it is and must be for fun, and when the fun goes away it's time for a break and some introspection.
    So........as you say Gary, back to the styrene :) ;) 8)

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
I'll be following this build with a lot of interest Lance.
It will be fascinating watching all that aftermarket material get utilised!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »
I too collect up stacks of A/M for builds but then "freeze" because I want to "keep it for good" Hope you enjoy the build as much as I will watching.

Steve

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
G'day, Lance.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work, mate.  You're a better modeller than you'll admit to being.

Dal.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
   I'm making some progress but not even close to the Photo stage. Got hung up on the seat; after an afternoon of sanding per Trackpad's technique I failed, the wicker cross-piece portion half way up simply dropped out..............too thin methinks!? I've salvaged it with some PE mesh I had in the spares box and I'm happy with the repair.
   After a lot of "what-if-ing" I shaved the instrument panel flush and plan to add AM bezels etc once the woodgrain is on. No going back but I was happy with the results on my SE5a so this alone should keep me busy for more then just a few days..... :-\
   So far so good and a really nice Kit.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:15:42 AM »
Hey, Lance,

Sorry to hear that you had that problem with the seat, but it sounds as if you've come through with a very good repair. I went with the kit instrument panel and decals, so I'll be interested to see how your approach to the IP works out. Good luck with the rest of your build!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary