Author Topic: Macchi M-5  (Read 37548 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Macchi M-5
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
Nice work on the compass binnacle Mike! Your painting of the fittings look great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2020, 05:01:49 AM »
Hi all,
The fuselage is progressing with the stripes and Latin legend 'Frangar Non Flectar'.
Just the three metal hatch covers to add and final weathering and finish, including the fuselage nail lines.
Then onto the wings,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2020, 05:13:57 AM »
Absolutely fantastic detailed modelling going on here. I am lost for words....

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2020, 06:51:32 AM »
Really Much better than the original attempt using the decals. Stripes and Lettering look awesome!
RAGIII

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »
Super work!
 :o :o :o

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2020, 06:37:22 PM »
Wow!
The fuselage stripes are now like the real ones!
Fantastic finishing.
Roberto

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2020, 07:13:31 AM »
Wow Mike , Awesome  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
Hi all,
I'm calling the fuselage finished.
I discarded the three circular photo-etch hatches and instead made them from 0.2 mm thick plastic card, with 'dimples' to represent the securing screws.
The windscreen was fitted and I've scuffed the underside roundel to represent water wear.
The fuselage was given a weathering coat of Dark Dirt clay wash 'Flory Models' to represent general grime, especially as crew and mechanics had to walk on the cockpit decking.
It was then sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) lacquer.
A second light wash of White was applied to give an indication of salt spray and to highlight the fuselage panel nail lines, then sealed again.

Now onto the wings,

Mike

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:08:29 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
Continuing to be a build with your usual great attention to details and spectacular execution. A joy to observe.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2020, 11:01:56 PM »
Details and painting are Outstanding as always!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2020, 11:58:34 PM »
This is shaping up to be one of your best results yet.

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2020, 05:55:00 AM »
Hi all,
The propeller is finished.
Hand made wood laminate special from 'ProperPlane'.
Airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) with a few drops'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9).
Tip sheathing, which was either Copper, Tin or Mondel (Copper-Nickel Alloy) - brush painted 'Mr. Colour' Copper (219).
Propeller bosses brush painted with 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213).
Final sealing coat of 'Tamiya' Clear Orange (X26).
Propeller bosses coated with 'AK Interactive' Kersosene (AK2039).

Mike

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:29:55 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2020, 06:42:11 AM »
Proper Plane sure does make a beautiful propeller! It will look outstanding on your gorgeous build!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »
Wow!
The fuselage stripes are now like the real ones!
Fantastic finishing.
Roberto

Hi Roberto,
I wonder if you clarify something for me.

I'm about to apply the Clear Doped Linen (CDL) onto the upper surfaces of the Macchi M.5 wings.
I know that some aircraft had the upper surfaces of the wings coloured green, but many had just CDL with no colour applied.
The aircraft I'm building had the CDL covering.
Those aircraft with green surfaces had the full green, white and red Italian roundels painted on.

If you look at the photographs below of Macchi's with CDL wing covering, you can clearly see the wing rib tapes show dark over the wing surface, due to the rib tapes being applied on top of the CDL covering.
Normally the roundels would have been painted on after the wing covering was completed and the paint would have covered the rib tapes under the roundels.
However, the rib tapes also show over the Italian roundels, but it seems only over the white ring area of the roundels, not over the outer green or centre red circles.
I wonder if this is because aircraft with CDL covering did not have the white rings painted, but just the green and red.
That would account for the rib tapes showing where the white ring would have been painted.

I can't find any reference to this.
I suppose the apparent rib tapes could be shadows cast from the raised wing ribs?

What do you think?

Mike

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »
Hi Mike!
Your study/question put some doubts in what here in Italy we stated about markings on M.5.
The CDL used by Macchi was much close to white, you may see it on the Macchi Nieuports 11 of the series 1000 range. In modelling field, you may have the right shade mixing 50% of Humbrol 41 Ivory with 50% Humbrol 22 White.
This made in the photos the national white color indistinguishable from Macchi's CDL. Again, NO ONE of our aircraft had central section of undersurfaces of wings painted white due to same fact. 
The last photo that you posted is the one that make great doubt. The serial is 7240, not so far from yours, and the white of the fuselage roundels clearly stands out more than the one on wings. And, of course, your M.5 had CDL wings, when I built mine I was sure that had green covered wing so I didn't study the thing.
The color of the wing rib tapes I think that you may see under the white as over CDL, first of your photo made another question: why I see the rib tapes only IN the roundel?
Unlucky no M.5 survived to distruction, so we don't have nothing as sure reference.
At least, and I'm sorry for that, I can't say for sure if the central ring on wings was white or CDL. I think that no one can't say something against your choice with proofs, I know that a piece of fabric from an L.3 survived until today (I never saw) and no more than this.
I apologize because this time I can't help in a sure way to your building.
Cheers,
Roberto