Author Topic: Macchi M-5  (Read 35341 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Macchi M-5
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:26:20 AM »
Hi all,
Normally I never work more than one model at a time, but I'm waiting for decals to arrive for my 'Aviatik 'Berg' D.1 build.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10567.0

Therefore I thought I'd make a start on another 1:32 scale 'HPH Models' resin kit.
This is the Italian 'Macchi M-5 single seat float plane fighter.
I know already there may be some areas of this model that will need some attention, so we'll see how this one goes,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Macchi M-5
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:31:07 AM »
Following along with interest Mike  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 01:36:33 AM »
Stunning choice, will follow closely.

Offline FAf

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:18:13 AM »
I almost bought this kit a while ago, before deciding that it probably was a little too much (both moneywise and skillwise) for me. I will follow your build with great interest nonetheless!
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 02:36:58 AM »
I will follow closely! This will be again a interesting build.
It will also give a lot of info for my 1/48 plastic kit made by Fly.

Are the wooden wheels for a beach trolley? Very nice!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 03:29:55 AM »
Thanks all.

Frank:
Yes the kit is supplied with laser cut wood to construct a beaching trolley,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Robin

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 03:33:44 AM »
A flying Riva yacht...sweet!

Robin :)
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 03:46:01 AM »
This is on my list to scratch build in God's Own Scale so I will follow closely to see which details I will need to add.

Stephen.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 09:22:36 AM »
Hi all,
I've removed all of the major parts from their resin backing sheets or blocks and cleaned away any residue and flash.
The fuselage fin support is moulded with a slight curve on the top edge, which needed to be flattened.
There were no substantial 'blow holes' on any of the parts, but there were a few rough spots, especially under the rear of the fuselage. It looked like it had been filed to remove resin?
The main problem to sort was that the various struts have steel reinforcing struts moulded inside, which should protrude from the ends of each strut for location into the model.
However most struts had at least one that only protruded from one end. I had to drill a 0.5 mm diameter hole into the end of the strut, where I thought the pin should have exited.
Once the end of the pin was seen I carefully twisted and pushed the pin up through the strut until it protruded from the end.
Tricky as you know how brittle resin can be when stressed - however it worked.

The next step is to 'open up' the cockpit and two forward ports in the top of the fuselage, which by the way is moulded mostly as a solid piece so is pretty heavy!!

Mike

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
Mike,
    You are probably aware of this, Des' Build Log for this Kit. He confided in me that this one was the closest he ever came to giving up on a Kit, you'd never know it when you see his finished product!

https://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page52.html

I'm really going to enjoy watching you tame this beauty, it's such a magnificent looking aircraft and if anyone can produce another really spectacular result with this Kit I believe it's you ....... enjoy and I'll be following closely.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »
As always I am looking forward to your build and will be following along closely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
Great to see your build thread for the Macchi. Looking forward to your next updates!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks.

Lance:
Yes I read the build log by 'Des' and the corrections he found necessary.
I guess in 1:32 scale we've been spoilt with likes of 'Wingnut Wings' and 'Copper State' with their accuracy and close, sometimes too close tolerances.
Also the ease of construction using styrene parts, with no imperfections, as opposed to resin.
I find it strange that given how long resin kits have been manufactured, we sometimes still find some kits released with inaccuracies, surface imperfections and even warped parts.
I guess it's just a case of the limitations of working with resin and the moulding techniques used.
It's a case of if you want a particular model and resin is the only option, you really don't have a choice.
Thankfully there are some quality resin kit makers out there, 'Aviattic' springs to mind and even 'HPH Models', aside from some manufacturing 'quirks',

Mike 

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 10:23:14 PM »
I just don't understand kit makers not paying attention to quality or accuracy.  How much effort and cost does it take to do it right the first time?

I believe you will do the kit justice, Mike.  I'll be following along.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 02:33:20 AM »

I'm keeping notes.
Good luck, Mike

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith