Author Topic: Macchi M-5  (Read 37582 times)

Offline AndRoby67

Re: Macchi M-5
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2020, 02:05:11 AM »
Hi Mike!
I see now your steps forward. Good to choose a white field under the decals.
I have only something to say about wood veener. Fuselage sides of the M.5 were covered by a single
wooden sheet from tip to tail, with horizontal veener, in the direction of the air flow.
You may see in the photo of left side that there was lines of little nails that fix the sheet to the internal structure.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I see that you choose (paint?) vertical veener. Must I need to change my glasses?
Red and green stripes were a little bit more large, I think you are "in the corner" with the decals domensions...
If I can, I will suggest you to write sides latin motto by hand, as the original. I don't think there's the right font on internet or programs...
You are building a masterpiece, I'm sure of that.
My two cents, as always,
Roberto

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2020, 02:26:41 AM »
Hi Roberto,
Thanks for the information of the wood application.
Your post was very well timed as I'm about to re-start the fuselage wood effect and stripes.
When I looked at the drawings I saw the nail lines and assumed there were separate wood panels.
I'll take your advice and apply the effect horizontally and as one piece with the nail lines added.
I'll try the mask I've made for the Latin motto, as brush painting the motto would be less than uniform,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2020, 03:25:43 AM »
Hi Mike!
Ansaldo used same system to cover Balilla and SVAs, I think everything was influenced by building boats!
For the latin motto, as you for sure may imagine, they were applied by brush from the Squadriglia's personnel,
no masking tape! You may follow the original.
Roberto

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2020, 08:24:23 AM »
Hi Roberto,
Thanks for the update - good to know as I have an 'Ansaldo 'Ballila' in my stash.

Hi all,
As I wasn't happy using wood effect decals I stripped off all of the previously applied roundels, stripes and the wood effect decals.
I then sanded the fuselage and re-primed with 'AK Interactive' white (AK759).
Then I applied 'Tamiya' Dark Yellow (XF60).
I masked off the white areas then sponged on 'DecoArt Crafters Acrylic' paint along the fuselage.

Next is to Airbrush 'Tamiya' Chear Orange (XF26) or Yellow (XF24) mixed with a semi-matte sealer ('Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311).
Then add the roundels and fuselage stripes (white decal first).
Add back the nail lines with a 'Rosie the Riveter' (1:32nd - 1 mm).
Apply the final decals.
Finally a weathering wash of 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt or Grime followed by a light sheen sealing coat.

So still a bit to do,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
     Great restart on the finish Mike, I admire your determination to get it right. It looks much better and once the stripes are on it will really look good. Nice work! :) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2020, 10:49:47 PM »
I have to say that your painted wood looks much better to My eye than the decals! Well done on the correction/fix!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2020, 12:19:30 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks - I think it looks better as well.
Thanks to Roberto for his timely information that the fuselage was single sheet plywood, not separate panels as I'd done with decals.
Otherwise I would have gone down the same route and ended up having to strip it all back again,

Mike

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2020, 04:11:17 AM »
Hi Mike,
I'm always happy if my infos may help a modeller to reach a better goal.
Everytime I post my WIPs or completed models I hope that if someone see errors he let me know, no one of us have all the truth in hand and "from modeller to modellers" is one of my favourite motto.
Coming back to your Macchi, now is really beautiful, almost perfect.
Great compliments,
Roberto

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »
Thanks again for your advice Roberto - This model needs it.

Hi all,
The fuselage decal are now on.
As the kit supplied decals are translucent and darker colours underneath show through, I had to cut out white decals for the roundels and skulls.
Not easy but at least the darker wood colour doesn't show through,

Mike

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:49:30 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2020, 09:39:46 AM »
That's a lot better, Mike

I so love the M-5

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »
Hi Richard,
Me to, but as Shakespeare once said 'the path of true love never did run smooth'

Mike

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2020, 10:31:34 PM »
That's great Mike,the woodgraining and decals look terrific .
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2020, 10:32:26 PM »
Again, fine looking results, Mike, but better as it is more accurate.

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2020, 11:46:19 PM »
Hi all,
Research shows detail not always reflected in the model kit or its instructions.
This model will depict Macchi M.5, Serial No. M 7288 of No.260a Squadriglla, operating from Venice during 1918.
The following are photographs showing M 7288 in flight and also an in-flight photograph of Macchi M.5, Serial No: M 7292. Both aircraft operated with No.260a Squadriglla.
The colour illustrations in kit instructions show that the aircraft had alternate red and green stripes, equally spaced around the fuselage.
The first (red) stripe appears to be located close to the curved recess in the top of the fuselage, which was necessary to clear the rotating propeller.
The last fuselage stripe (green) was located slightly rearwards from the leading edge of the tail plane support fairing.
The stripes were equally spaced along the fuselage.
However, when referring to the two photographs of the actual aircraft, it’s evident that the M 7288 did not have the first two stripes (red and green) on the underside of the fuselage and M 7292 did not have the first (red) stripe on the underside of the fuselage.
Either these stripes were never actually painted on these aircraft or if they were, the stripes had been gradually removed by contact with the beaching trolley or by water spray from the fuselage step at the rear of the ’keel’ of the fuselage hull.
Interestingly, as Roberto pointed out, although the kit instructions shown the wing floats as varnished wood, the floats on M 7288 were in fact painted with the Italian tricolour and M 7292 had white spots.

Mike

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:51:37 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2020, 08:07:39 AM »
Mike,

I have just caught up (after a long break) on your excellent build log. I am truly inspired by your attention to detail and your perseverance in getting a much better wood effect on the fuselage. The cockpit and engine details are also super - modelling of the very highest standard here. I too am a fan of the Macchi flying boats - but then I am a fan of their H-B predecessors too! All were superb examples of aeronautical engineering - true "yachts of the air".

Stephen.