Author Topic: Albatros D.II, Jasta 16b 1/48 Eduard (finished)  (Read 11977 times)

Offline Robin

Albatros D.II, Jasta 16b 1/48 Eduard (finished)
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:54:54 AM »
With my 1/16 Renault FT tank almost finished, it's time to start something new.

The plan was the WNW Halberstadt (late), but I patiently wait for the release of the Pheon decals before I start with it.
No problem at all...I still have a rediculous stash of 1/48 kits from Eduard, Mirage, Gavia, Karaya and Special Hobby.
So let's do something else...something fairly easy.

An Albi D.II sounds about right. :)
I only recently started to work with oils, so a nice woody will be good practise I guess.

But...before I start.

...I must clear...and clean...my desk. :o

No....really....

...this is my desk after a couple of models. :-X
I'm terrible. I have a huge desk...a whole room even...and still, this is how it looks after building some models.
Shame on me!

Okey...the kit...

Lovely kit...Eduard nice. Ushi van der Rosten rigging wire, apart from that...OOB.

I finsh the Renault FT and clear my desk, so...more soon,

Robin  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:21:18 PM by Robin »
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Albatros D.II, 1/48 Eduard
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
Looking forward to your build once things are shorted  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a messy work area. I do try to keep it clear but always ends up cluttered. I'm looking forward to your Albatross D.II.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »
Looking forward to the Albatros build! Your Desk looks nice  8) Mine was far worse until 2 days ago. I did My Semi Annual cleaning  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:39:59 AM »
A end of a project/start of a new one is a good moment to do a short cleanup of the work bench, at least for me.
I will watch with interest, because I'm building a Albatros W.4 (a D.I or D.II on floats) in the neighbour thread. Also Eduard, so I guess that parts of the kit are identical.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Robin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 05:46:01 AM »
Lol...thanks guys.
It's  good to know I'm not the only one who has problems with keeping the bench tidy. ::)
Halfway...tomorrow I do the rest of the room and I'll try to stay more organized, but I say that each time. ;D

But....a nice bench is...nice.

Sorted out the paint I'll use. That's always a challenge. Manuals often refer to brands I don't use, so I need to co compare, check FS numbers (when given), conversion charts and adjust to my own liking.
The artwork from Ronny Bar on WNW I like...a lot, but I noticed his artwork often doesn't really match the suggested colours there.
I tried to find colours matching his artwork....right or wrong...I like it!  :)
For this kit, I checked the Roland C.IIa (late) artwork...same colours used, so a good reference.

One colour still gives me a headache....the grey green used on the engine cover. Is it more grey? more green? something like RLM2? I see all kinds of shades used and that makes it even more confusing. :o

Will start this weekend or early next week....right now I enjoy my espresso and cognac and... do nothing. 8)

Robin

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 06:14:50 AM »
Robin,
   Doing nothing for a short period is good too. I had a good laugh seeing your cluttered desk, it looked just like mine!
   Regarding your question on the Grey-Green for the engine color I've tried more grey, more green, and RLM Grey but I use primarily Tamiya Acrylics which I don't see in your photos. Like all WWI colors I'd say there is no rule, it's your call! On a Wood finish Albie I last used the lighter Grey Green XF-76 from Tamiya, and really like the results. I also used the RLM Grey on a wood finished LVG C.VI and it provides a very high contrast but it appeals to me as well.
   I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline FAf

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:30:35 PM »
Cleaning up the workspace is a good way to feel like you're getting something done... it's also gives a nice feeling of a fresh start where everything is possible!

Your workspace looks fantastic!
/Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
As Lance alludes to, no one knows exactly what a given color look should look like.  Over time, colors fade and are changed by weathering and many other things.  I think of the colors called out in instructions as 'guidelines'.  I frequently mix my own colors to get a certain look that I think is right for that model.

Offline Robin

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 02:27:48 AM »
Thanks guys,

Playing with colours and adjusting them to your own liking...within boundaries of what's still plausible...is fun.

After several days of "research" and making numerous colour swatches....

I think I'll use these...will do some airbrush tests and probably tweak them a bit.
The RLM2 (from Vallejo anyway) seems way too dark. The grey-green bits of the D.II I've seen on photo's seem to be fairly light.
Replaced it with Vallejo 71.103 RLM84-FS34424....might add a dash of light grey to it. Will see.

And....

....a tidy bench, so I'm ready to start.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:35:29 AM by Robin »

Offline Robin

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 07:35:04 PM »
There we go!

Started with the interior parts...mainly the wooden bits.

Modified the frame behind the ammo boxes....opened up.
Also did some extra work on the "switch board", holes in the control stick frame (wires go through), did some riveting and made a missing panel line.

A little surgery here and there.

Rivets.

Made the missing panel line. End of the engine cover. Eduard got this wrong. This is where the cover ends...it's not going all the way to the cockpit. :-\

Ready for some paint.  :)

More soon,

Robin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 11:37:40 PM »
Looking awesome Robin! I love what you are doing to date!
RAGIII

Offline Robin

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »
Thanks!  :)

My first attempt at painting wood with oils.
I used them for weathering on the Renault FT and this gave me the confidence to try wood with oils.

Oh lordy!  :o

Phew!  :)

Was fun...after it turned out to be pretty okey and it was good practise for the outside.

I'll do an oil wash when dry (how long does that take?) to add a bit more depth / shading.

Furthermore: woot! this is fun!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
The wood looks terrific!
RAGIII

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
Great start, your wood looks fantastic.