Author Topic: WNW Post-War DH.9a NINAK - Done!  (Read 13442 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Post-War DH.9a NINAK
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2020, 02:01:04 AM »
Excellent rigging on the cabanes and your IP really stands out in the photo!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
Really slick technique getting that centre section on with all the pre-strung rigging Eric, and it's looking spectacular even at this stage. I'll join Rick in his comment on the instrument panel, it's beautifully done and jumps right out of the photo!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
That is slick  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2020, 04:48:41 PM »
Lovely work, thanks for detailing how you applied the decals so perfectly. I think a lot of hair dryers are going to be purchased as a result. Wish I'd read this a week ago!😀

Offline eclarson

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Jan is starting to look like a plane!  Since the actual one was stationed in the Iraqi desert, I wanted to add some weathering to somewhat resemble the dust and sand it would have accumulated so I've experimented with lighter shades of washes and pigments.   I brewed up my own mix for a light sandy brownish oil wash which I applied to either side of each wing rib then used a flat brush and mineral spirits to pull most of it off.  I made the tail a little grubbier as I figured with it being closer to the ground it would pick up more dirt.  Sure wish color film had been invented back then.  It would be nice to see how those planes actually looked after some time in the desert.   I'm just making semi-educated guesses as to weathering.  :-)

I'm departing from the instructions for the upper wings.  They would have you build the entire upper wing first but I decided to mount and rig the center section and cabane struts first.  This would also make it easier to attached some lines to the lower wings as seen in these photos.  I won't tighten them until the upper wing is fully installed though. 

Cheers,
Eric

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2020, 10:09:24 PM »
Your use of the washes and pigments look Terrific! Really like the results.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2020, 05:29:52 AM »
This is a truly impressive build - super finish on the paintwork and weathering.

One question: how do you intend to eliminate the gap/joint on the top wing? In my experience using your method there would still be a visible join. Do you intend to fill and restore the paintwork?

Stephen.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
This is a truly impressive build - super finish on the paintwork and weathering.

One question: how do you intend to eliminate the gap/joint on the top wing? In my experience using your method there would still be a visible join. Do you intend to fill and restore the paintwork?

Stephen.

Thank you! 

No need to fill anything.  The real aircraft had significant joints where the wings attach to the center section.  They even molded the small metal reinforcing bracket that cross the joints.  Now on those I'll fill the tiny gaps since half the brackets are on the wings and the other halves on the center section.

Cheers,
Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
Oh what a tangled web!  Nearing the big moment - attaching the upper wings.  Still have to secure the lines in their sleeves on the port wing.  The blue thing on the starboard wing is an auxiliary fuel tank which I'll connect to the fuselage with 0.5mm Albion rod.  Details of the connection to the tank and how and where it enters the fuselage are nowhere to be found so I had to make a best-guess from the few photos I could find where the tank was visible at all.  I also almost missed the tank's support rigging.  I was verifying some of the wing lines in the instructions' diagrams last night when I spotted green lines running between the tank and wing.  I hadn't noticed those before so started checking reference photos again.  Once I knew what to look for, I saw them but they were very faint.  I would never have known to add them from just the photos.  Checking customer builds on the WNW site I found some builders had them, some didn't.   :)

Eric
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:07:17 PM by eclarson »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2020, 10:39:39 PM »
I am amazed at how you guys can get the struts in place and the wing mounted with all of those wires hanging around! I would surely make a mess of things  8) Nice catch on the tank rigging!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2020, 12:58:09 AM »
Your spiders have been busy  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
Loving this build, beautiful colour scheme and a whole lot of rigging going on. You must have spent a lot of time planning!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »
Awesome. Great eye for the detail. It’s going to be a jewel.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
The tangled web has been sorted out!

Cheers,
Eric

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
Looks Great as a biplane and your rigging is outstanding!
RAGIII