Author Topic: WNW Post-War DH.9a NINAK - Done!  (Read 13443 times)

Offline eclarson

WNW Post-War DH.9a NINAK - Done!
« on: September 01, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
I sure didn't see this coming.   I was planning on getting back to a Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Su-35 that was briefly started before being set aside in order to build the WNW Roland C.II for the forum group build but my modeling muse had other ideas.  Long story short, after seeing a really nice Post-War NINAK with Pheon decals in process on a Facebook group, this suddenly appeared on my bench.  Progress is going to be slow at first as I'm well along on an Airfix 1/48 Spitire Mk.XIV which I'll complete before focusing fully on the NINAK.  I really wasn't planning on starting another WNW kit this year but oh well....here we go!

Eric
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:39:53 PM by eclarson »

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Post-War DH.9a NINAK
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 11:45:42 PM »
As always I will follow along with what I am sure will be a Terrific build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 04:03:20 AM »
Good choice, Eric.  I'll be following closely.  The Ninak is a great kit.  My favorite WNW build so far.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »
Lovely Eric,

I’ve just resurrected my build of this, will be helpful to see updates...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
Love the scheme , looking forward to this one  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eclarson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 02:28:31 AM »
Just finished the 1/48 MK.XIV Spitfire that's been my primary focus for the past month or so (can be seen in the Off Topic Build section) so my full attention can now turn to the Ninak!
I didn't totally ignore her though as while waiting for paint and glue to dry on the Spitfire I prepped the Ninak's parts for wood grain treatment and even got the wicker and leather seats done.
The seats were a lot of fun as I've never done wicker before.  That and the leather are a mix of acrylics, dry brushing with oils, and washes.  To provide visual interest and contrast between the wood sections, the fuselage and other interior parts have been painted with several different base colors (Tamiya and Vallejo yellow, tan, and wood shades) over which oil paints will be streaked for the wood grain effect.

Eric

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 02:41:21 AM »
Excellent prep work for the wood. Your wicker seat is very impressive as is the leather !
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:30:37 AM »
I do like the wicker seat and leather seats: as Rick has commented they look very realistic. Going to be an interesting build.

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 04:38:57 AM »
Looks like a great start Eric.  Looking forward to your next update.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
This past weekend saw the wood effects applied to all the interior parts with some seen here.  The instructions call for various areas to be light or dark wood and I wanted to provide that contrast as well as variations of each.  Base colors are assorted Tamiya, Vallejo, and AMMO Mig yellow, tan, and wood tone colors.  Oil paints used for the grain effect are raw and burnt sienna on the darker shades with raw sienna and yellow ochre on the light.

Views of the fuselage inner surfaces and floor on the finished model will be limited to small sections here and there but since at this point it's hard to tell what will be visible, it's best to do the entire thing.  I'll give everything another couple days to cure then apply a protective clear coat followed by some filters and light weathering washes.

Eric

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »
Your wood effects are looking great so far Eric and that seat looks nice and broken in making it look very comfortable .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eclarson

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »
Your wood effects are looking great so far Eric and that seat looks nice and broken in making it look very comfortable .  :)
Terri

Thanks Terri! 

I wasn't 100% happy with the fuselage insides as seen here (a little too light and the "grain" wasn't as fine as I like) so I just now finished applying a layer of raw sienna oil paint and used a piece of sponge and large flat brush to get the grain lines established after which the trusty fan brush was used to "draw" some random patterns.  Most of which will be hidden of course.  But I'm satisfied with the results so that's the important thing.   :)

I won't bother with pics of that little fix but the difference will be noticeable in future shots as the interior comes together.

Cheers,
Eric

Offline aliluke

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
Wow. Some modellers here just seem like machines - beautiful machines that is. Work has sure kept me away from what I'd rather be doing these last few months and my stash of WW1 machines looks at me with a  threatening cardboard face - "Build me, build me, build me...". And then you just get on and build while juggling other kits at the same time. And everything you do looks magic and now I want to add another cardboard face to my annoying cardboard companions which will say - "Build me, I'm a Ninak, build me, I'm a Ninak..."

Well - for the time being I'll just watch and then get a Ninak - it kind of even sounds like an annoying "Build ME" kit to join all of my others. "Ninak me, Ninak, Ninak, Ninak...

But, seriously, great work and following on from Guy's build of the same this is a very tempting choice...to join my other plastic fulled, cardboard boxes...

Best
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 08:41:48 PM »
What wonderful wood tones!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 06:49:08 AM »
What wonderful wood tones!
Andreas

I am in total agreement with Andreas!
RAGIII