Author Topic: 1/72 Hansa Brandenburg W 13  (Read 6970 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/72 Hansa Brandenburg W 13
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »
Gorgeous scheme and paint work! The engine is really looking Fantastic! Lovely build to date as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
Fantastic build, Stephen. Allways a miracle to me what some of you folks can do with some sheet and paint.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 06:00:00 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Robin, Juan, Rick and Manni for your positive and encouraging comments.

I have been working on several small units this week, starting with the bomb racks which were fixed to frames which ran along the top side of the hull. I made the frames from 10 x 20 thou strip and added the crutches with pieces of rod. They are difficult to simulate accurately so my rather crude representation will have to do. The I pressed on with the engine platform: This was a simple structure on the original aircraft which was fabricated from steel tube which had thin sheet steel wrapped around it to make it appear like a conventional wood strut. These were painted to look like wood. The arms were shaped from 30 x 40 thou strip and cut to length. The forward pair were glued into place with Revell Contacta Professional and allowed to set for about 30 seconds. Then I added the front cross piece from a piece of 30 thou scrap and the tops glued. The length of the front bar was taken from the width of the engine sump which has to sit in the gap between two horizontal bars which run between the tops of the front and rear pairs of supports. While the glue was still not set I aligned the front struts so that they were vertical. When these had set (after 30 minutes) I repeated the operation for the rear struts, but this time I added the longitudinal bar between the front and rear pairs while the glue was setting: the horizontal bars had to be parallel. This was then set aside to dry overnight. The next day I could add the curved bar between the rear struts - this was made from 30 thou rod. The two angled struts on the side of the frame were fitted last:

The engine was then test fitted:

I had also done some work on the engine including adding some more pipes on the sides, a couple of small units which I could see in photos, (all from rod), and small supports on the sides of the sump which would stop the engine falling through the gap between the horizontal bars. I also drilled holes for the exhaust stubs which will be fixed later. The engine frame was painted and the small steps added to the vertical struts.

Fixing the engine was now a simple matter of applying glue and after fitting, allowing the assembly to set:

Before i fix the top wing I decided to put the wing floats on otherwise I have to invert and support the model while some fiddly work is done. On reflection I should have fitted the floats before I attached the engine but I did manage to avoid knocking  it off. First the 4 vertical struts were located and cemented into holes drilled into the tops of the floats and while the cement was still not set I placed the other ends of the struts into holes drilled in the wing. The cement on the floats was allowed to set for half an hour before I cemented the struts to the holes in the wings. This was again left to dry out thoroughly, before I added the side, front and rear cross struts:

Now I am ready, (well almost), to fit the top wing. The wing will need support while struts are added and dry out because the wing struts form an open V and this will collapse easily. So a pair of jigs were cut from card:

The centre pieces were measured from the plans - they will fill the gap between the wings. The side pieces are there to keep the spacers upright and stable while the struts are inserted and dry out:

These were tested before use and found to be wholly satisfactory:

Jigs do not need to be complex or expensive - I regularly make use of everyday items on or near my desk and find that with a little ingenuity much can be achieved at minimal cost.

Next step is to fix the main struts which I hope to show in the next update.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 06:57:04 AM »
Your bird starts to look like the title of the Windsock Datafile, I like it!

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 07:21:18 AM »
    Very impressive work Stephen, and so is the model. The scheme is very appealing and that dark wood finish really catches the eye. Also nice to see you continue to impress with your work as the "King of the instant Jigs"! Yet another magnificent project rolls off your line on the little tin tray! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »
I'm just getting caught up on this thread, and wow, great progress, Stephen!  This is really coming together well.  The color scheme is striking and the engine detail is very well done.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
Eye candy !  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2019, 09:45:31 PM »
Really taking shape now Stephen! A beauty for sure!!
RAGIII

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 02:11:11 AM »
Eye candy indeed!!  Love it.  Showing true modeling skill, Stephen!

Respectfully,
Dan ;) ;)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks Frank, Lance, Ken, Terri, Rick and Dan for the very kind and encouraging remarks - they have been most helpful recently as I have had a "down" period recently: I had to spend nearly a week away from home and when I returned I had little energy to do anything. So a project which should really have been finished by now has only moved forward a short amount. But the top wing is in place....

I started by sitting the upper wing on the card jigs as shown in the previous post. The forward interplane struts were fitted first: that proved to be a bit tricky because I could not see clearly under the top wing to get the exact length of the struts and then fit the ends into the location holes. In fact it took about 30 minutes to get each pair of struts into place. These were left to dry overnight with the card jigs in place to provide support:

The paint pots were there to make sure that the upper wing remained in place while the glue set - the wing had a tendency to move out of alignment otherwise. Once the glue had set the problem ceased. The rear struts were be inserted one side at a time. As each pair was completed the card jig was removed - the rigid forward struts provided enough support for the rear struts to be left to set without further jigging:

I have now also added the cabane struts but forgot to photograph them before fixing into place. They consist of 20 x 30 thou strip at the upper end and thin wire at the bottom because the struts were steel tube with a sheet of thin steel wrapped around to give an aerofoil section. The lower parts of the cabane struts were left uncovered so as not to interfere with the exhausts of the engine - hence the plastic and wire combination. These too were more tricky than anticipated and therefore took longer to fit, further discouraging me from attempting to fit them and slowing everything down. Now these tasks are completed I am hoping to be able to add the ailerons, rudder, windscreen and other small details and rig the model and complete it in reasonable time. I have started a small base to mount it on - more later.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
Oh no - I don't need to see this!

If you manage to pull this one off, I may have to build the 1/32 Macchi M5 I keep fantasising about (not the HPH resin kit)

It's looking very much like you are going to succeed too!

Nice work Stephen

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 04:17:23 PM »
Just Wow! this bird comes togehther really fantastic.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
Superb modelling, Stephen.
You and the merry few are keeping scratch building alive.

We can only thank you for that!

Cheers,
Bob  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »
Scratch building at it's finest! This is a gorgeous aircraft!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2019, 12:04:36 AM »
Wow, Stephen, this truely is another wonderful masterpiece from your bench. Your scratchbuilding is first class.
Really lovely!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.