Author Topic: 1/72 Hansa Brandenburg W 13  (Read 6999 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Hansa Brandenburg W 13
« on: September 01, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
Evening All,

Britmodeller have just started a second GB on floaty aeroplanes so I have decided to join in with this little beauty:

I have had this on my to do list for some time now but have hesitated because the hull has a double concave curve on the underside which I fear may be a bit tricky to model. In fact I still do not know how I am going to tackle that part, but if it does not work too well I should be able to hide it under a carriage! The rest of the model will be straightforward, (yes you did read that correctly), as I have built two single engined flying boats with engines between the wings already - the Phoenix Type A and the Hansa-Brandenburg CC, both of which are posted on this site if you are interested.

I have made a small start: I have cut out the hull sides and rear top and lower surfaces. I have also cut some bulkheads to help make up the square section of the hull - the cross section drawings in the DataFile are very helpful in this respect: the letters refer to fixed points on the hull where they will be located. All of this was from 30 thou card:

In addition I have cut out the wing blanks and sanded them to aerofoil section - also from 30 thou card which on this occasion had been bent in a pipe with boiling water. The top wing has three sections as the outer panels were swept back and it was not possible therefore to cut the wing in a single sheet. This will be butt joined later. The lower wings and horizontal tail unit are also cut and shaped - I have still to make a rudder. These are now ready to have the ribs added via 10 x 20 thou strip:

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/72 Hansa Brandenburg W 13
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »
Oh, boy!  Can't wait, Stephen!  This will be fun to follow!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 11:35:25 PM »
Oooh, nice!

Ian

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »
This will be fun to follow!
Oh yes, I'm in too!

Good start!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:27:26 AM »
Oh, boy!  Can't wait, Stephen!  This will be fun to follow!
Cheers,
Bud

I agree totally with My Amigo!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 01:22:33 AM »
Great choice Stephen, looking forward to your updates.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
Hi Stephen!
I like who choose unusual subject. So I will follow you in this build too, the start is really fantastic. The Datafile is the only good reference for this type, really few examples of the W.13 were built. Again, you choose a subject "on my front".
Cheers,
Roberto

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 07:36:43 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks Bud, Ian, Frank, Rick, Juan and Roberto for showing an interest in this build - I really appreciate your support.

Roberto: as I wrote before, this has long been on my to do list as I have a fascination for flying boats and floatplanes from all theatres. They seem to be under represented by mainstream manufacturers and I do not really understand why as some of them were really graceful. Others were simple very ugly looking objects - which is why I like them too!

I have focussed on the fuselage this week as I wanted to try to solve problem of the double concave curve on the underside of the hull. I had been thinking about it on and off for a time and eventually came up with a simple answer as I hope to show here. First though I had to make the hull - a simple procedure whereby the bulkheads were glued to the bottom of the hull and allowed to set. While that was happening I glued strips along the edges of the hull sides so that when I come to cement the top and bottom faces later they have something to keep them square and even:

Making up the rear section of the hull was a straightforward case of gluing each side to the bottom face and finishing by gluing the top face in place. The assembly was held firmly by state of the art clamps while the glue set:

Note that the nose section was not glued yet - making the hull in stages like this is easier and means that the final result is square and even. Only after the rear end was fully set, (after 12 hours), were the front bulkheads added in the nose section and the nose joined - a small piece of rod helped to reinforce the narrow tip of the bow joint:

There were now two holes at the front: one above and one below. The one below was tackled first as it is this that has the double concave curve in it. I started by cutting a piece of 60 thou card shaped to fit the hole and then used a pair of tweezers to bend it to fit the curvature of the lower hull towards the nose. That was done by gently bending the plastic repeatedly, working backwards and forwards along the curve with two gentle twists of the tweezers at the front for every one towards the rear:

It does not matter if the curve of the bottom is not quite precise as it will be pushed into the hole and held by the plastic strips thoughtfully attached to the hull sides as described above: the bulkheads add extra support and also help prevent the bottom plate from being pushed too far into the hole. To make sure that I do not file/sand right through the plastic, I glued a short section of 30 thou card at the rear of the new hull bottom prior to cementing the new hull bottom:

The next step was to mark the centre line of the new hull bottom, two perpendicular transverse lines, and fill the side gaps with filler. The transverse lines mark the point where the concave curvature ceases at the front, and a marker for a small jig which I had made from card to test the depths of the curve to keep them even. Now the filing/sanding could begin. I started by using a larger diameter round file to make a shallow groove just forward of the hull step. This could then be slowly and steadily enlarged with fine grade glass paper wrapped around a piece of dowel. By putting slightly more pressure on the rear and by keeping the glasspaper and dowel almost parallel with the hull top I was able to gradually scoop out the required curve under the left side of the hull base. The centre line was used as a guide to prevent me making the curve too wide. The process was repeated for the right side:

What I thought was going to be difficult turned out to be relatively easy: there must therefore be hidden problems waiting for me further into this build....

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »
You make things look so simple and yet I know they are not! Tremendous progress and a tribute to your skills!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
That's a great project Stephen and my thanks to you for sharing it with us. It's great to see some 1/72 scale subjects underway and remind us this is not a 1/32 scale only forum!

I'm keen to see more 1/72 and 1/48 builds featuring on the Forum so please keep us updated with this appealing model.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »
A very interesting subject, Stephen.  You're off to a great start and already tackled what appeared to be a vexing problem.

I, too, would like to see more seaplane model kits - specifically a 1/32 Alby W4.

I'll be following along.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 11:06:32 AM »
Nice work on constructing the fuselage so far , most excellent !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:49 PM »
Stephen, _that_ is modeling on it's best, not just glueing kit parts together like me ::)
Great solution for this complicated hull!

there must therefore be hidden problems waiting for me further into this build....
If so, I'm sure you will solve them too in a clever way 8)

It is pure fun to watch this build report, please continue that way!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 03:11:31 AM »
That's a very neat solution to the problem Stephen. I have to admit that I would probably have gone for Miliput to ensure that there was no danger of sanding through, but this has worked beautifully.

Ian

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Hi Stephen,
it seems that for you great modelling problems means simple solutions!
Great idea to recreate the right hull shape.
As a modeller in 1/72 only I may understand, sometimes is better than great scales, sometimes not.
I will follow!
Roberto