Author Topic: Why do you make models?  (Read 5117 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Why do you make models?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 06:29:01 AM »
I really don't remember why.   ;)
I started to make models around September 1960.   ;D
Here is my first diploma from completing the course of building models from June 1961.

Adam.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 07:28:22 AM »
About 7 years ago I came back to model building because I had a breakdown with panic attacks, strong depressions and suicide attempt. When I finally felt a little better, I wanted something that wouldn't burden me again, something I could always clean up or leave lying around.
I got the Revell London Bus and I felt better and better. My hands stopped trembling and I could sleep again. Now I spend about 2 to 3 evenings a week in my hobby cellar, sticking something together, make things look old and listening to some audiobooks.
In my opinion model building is the best thing to get a clear head and let your creativity run free.The result is completely secondary for me and usually ends up well packed in a cardboard box in the basement.
Bye,
Manni

THAT's a tough story Manni, really. Good to see what healing forces modelling can set free!

For me, I simply cannot tell why I make models. Really, I am not kidding here, when i was a child I sometimes got caught by models and dioramas (tin soldiers) and that fascination didn't stop until that day. I am a pacifist and despise war – and I never was a soldier and so I educate my children. Anyway I build war machines and do dioramas depicting war. If somebody has an explanation for that, I'd be grateful.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 05:54:04 AM »
This is an interesting topic and the sort of thing I like to think about in my spare time!

When I was a kid, I made models very much so that I could obtain the finished, end result.  I wasn't going to run out and buy a real Spitfire (I'm still not!) but I could possess that miniature Spitfire in my hand and admire its shape and form.

As time has gone on, this has changed.  I still do appreciate the end result, and very much enjoy glancing at my finished pieces from time to time. But the emphasis is much more so now on the process.

I find the act of building to be very relaxing (for the most part), meditative, and it's a wonderful creative outlet.  I enjoy working with my hands and making something out of nothing, and modeling supports that very well.

Also, nothing forces you study a subject matter you are really interested in like building a miniature replica of it!  You will see and understand aspects of the subject you did not and would not have understood, but for the act of building the model. 

And then there is the research.  The historical research but also the model making research.  Does anyone make a kit of X in a given scale?  Which one is the best?  What the problems with it?  Who sells it at the best price?  What paint colors will I need?  What's available in aftermarket?

I have often said I enjoy the act of planning for a project more than the actual building.  I think it's about even in reality, but I really do enjoy the planning stage.

Lastly, modeling allows me to explore objects which I find aesthetically pleasing.  I don't think I could build a model of something I find ugly.

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 06:40:55 AM »
Because my wife told me to.
Cheers,
Bud

Bud, you made my day!
Frank

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
... I am a pacifist and despise war – and I never was a soldier and so I educate my children. Anyway I build war machines and do dioramas depicting war. If somebody has an explanation for that, I'd be grateful.
Andreas

i know what you mean. i'm proud of my relatives who served but i never was a soldier or sailor. i majored in art not war!

it is a mystery to me why i find this stuff fascinating, aside from the fact that i build models as a kid. but i'm also very obsessed with the Great War. it's probably the darkest part of history. near as i can figure i'm obsessed with the tragedy of it, but also, these guys were able to do what they did in the bleakest, most terrifying circumstances. these crates look scary to even go up in! yet they went to war in them. it's the best and the worst of the human species on display in one epic multi year tragedy.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »

it is a mystery to me why i find this stuff fascinating, aside from the fact that i build models as a kid. but i'm also very obsessed with the Great War. it's probably the darkest part of history. near as i can figure i'm obsessed with the tragedy of it, but also, these guys were able to do what they did in the bleakest, most terrifying circumstances. these crates look scary to even go up in! yet they went to war in them. it's the best and the worst of the human species on display in one epic multi year tragedy.

I absolutely agree.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
Well I guess being the only female here , or who post . Should ghime in and say way I build model planes and the odd auto once and bluemoon .

I love aircraft since the beginning of time , well ... my time at least . The history part isn't to much of my cup of tea ,but I do read up on some subject matter if it interest me . It is more of the machine which catches my eye . There are some beautiful shapes in designs .
I like the building process and the challenges of improving my skills with painting and weathering . Got the detailing down not to bad , but I don't do this with every project that hits the bench . Half of my stash is sided for OOB builds . Need a break from the detailing .

I can say that it has been challenge fitting into a mans hobby per say . There are other female modellers out there but they really don't post .
Only had issues with a few folks who though this isn't a hobby for ladies . However though I can say that the best group of folks are all of you guys here . And that has been the best gift of all ! :) ;) 8)

Terri , who just likes airplanes
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 03:36:00 AM »
What an interesting and quite lovely thread! I've read every post and enjoyed them all.. There are some really good motives... Terri, Great to have a lady along!
A bit strange to talk about why I do it... I've done it since the age of 10 or so, can't even remember the first model, but many, many WW1 subjects, mostly Airfix and Revell... I've never really stopped, just carried along with the increasing (beautiful) technology and enjoyed it all. I do love the research and stories about WW! too... I regret the need for war, but realize the greatest technological advancements are made in war-time...
Regards,
Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
Thanks Marc ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Stonewall34

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 04:51:33 AM »
I do it to relax?!? but I also do it because I am a professionally trained historian.  I enjoy learning about how the planes were used and how the men lived.  My wife and daughter encourage me and praise my work constantly.  I have modelled for 30 years on and off and still enjoy it as much as I did as a young kid.
Frank

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 06:33:42 AM »
For me it's the problem solving and the subject matter.
I have loved aviation for as long as I can remember. My brother and I were making Airfix and Matchbox kits way before our rebellious stage and that (apart from a long break to fail at relationships) passion has carried on to this day, but now my love (back then it was Spitfires, FW190's, 109's and 4 engined bombers) is nailed to all things WW1. Air, Land and Sea.

Plus, the internet has brought us all together and that is a huge plus for our community. Happy days!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 05:55:45 AM »
Good evening to all!
Great question....I remember that my father put in my hands when I was 11 a little plastic bag with the Airfix 1/72 CA.12 Boomerang inside and get me a try. He was a great modeller, he worked for some modelling shops. So I started to put toghether those bluish white plastic pieces, he trained me only to use glue first...the Boomerang came out as a bubble of plastic and glue! But I was fascinating from that moment about modelling...
I had many stops, you know that at 15/16/17 years old it's impossible to stay in house for modelling... Around 20 years old I started to playing drums in a rock band and I never stop until now, less time for modelling... Around 40 (now I'm 52) my passion for World War One aircrafts really exploded in me. Not only models, but also history researches.
So, I think that for me modelling time is a sort of "happy island" where I find recovery from the life everyday problems. Is a place where I find peace and joy. Drumming is the same "between people", modelling is only for me. I'm happy too to go to Modelling event and to share dinners with modelling friends, but at least is a "private hobby".
Manni, I was touched by your history. Here in Italy some of my modelling friends collected kits to send them to an Association that using modelling to help people with your same problems. Happy that you are out from these!
Roberto

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 06:18:28 AM »
Because my wife told me to.
Cheers,
Bud

I missed this earlier and all but lost my lunch laughing Bud! ;D We have a fellow in our local IPMS Club who refers to the price of everything related to the Hobby using the term "wife price"; apparently there's a sticker price and once brought home a "wife price" to quote if the subject is raised! He tells us it makes for a happier relationship............
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 02:42:54 AM »
Lance, a friend of mine always states:
"If I die, I hope my wife does not sell the kits at the prices that I told her"
 ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator