Author Topic: Why do you make models?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Why do you make models?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »
For me it satisfies a creative urge and all my hobbies have had a competitive aspect - I raced mtn bikes, competed in RC sailplane contests, and I have always enjoyed model contests.  Most of all I am compelled to do the best at whatever I do.  My wife has tolerated my hobbies and I love her for that, but she was very impressed when we went to the IPMS Nationals a couple of weeks ago and I think she has a new appreciation for my modeling work (I still don't tell her how much I spend on the hobby  ;) ).

Offline KirkH

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 04:18:47 AM »
I make models for a few reasons.  First I like working with my hands.  If I'm not building models I'm messing with model trains, slot cars, etc.  Second, it's a way to do a "deep dive" into a particular subject.  Lastly, building models gives me an excuse to buy reference material, DVD's, etc. because I can say I'm doing research.  "Honey, I'm making this Fokker DVII model so I just HAVE to buy these two books."     

Offline aliluke

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
I'm glad this thread still has some legs. Having taking a month off modeling due to work pressure and other stuff, I now sense a terrible itch to get back to it. Why? For me it is just the immersion that takes away all of the other focus in my life and makes me think about what next in the process of making? And how am I going to do that? I live in my plane for a moment but, as in the past it could be a ship as well. For WW! planes I think of the pilot and the absurdity of their condition and I relish the extraordinary level of development that occured in such a short space of time - Wright to WW1. I also love the simple elegance of these WW1 aircraft married with their relative primitiveness.

I also bought the coolest little streaming speaker for my studio - an Audiopro C10 - so can stream radio or music to my hearts content and the rest of the world (and work) can just go away for a while while I think and make! Bliss - got to get back to it...tomorrow!

A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.