Author Topic: Why do you make models?  (Read 5141 times)

Offline aliluke

Why do you make models?
« on: July 23, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
Hi
Last night I finished my DFW for the Des Memorial build and immediately came upstairs with instructions from other kits to chose my next model to make. My wife said - and I'd never thought about this much before - "You don't really care about the end product do you, you only care about the process, right?" And she is completely right! I make models for the challenge and meditation of the process not because I want the end product. I would give away all of my models and not really care - that's not quite true...I also make models because of the fascinating history that they expose to me which is why WW1 aircraft really appeal - but so does anything that you model.

So I'm interested in why others make models?

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline FokkerFodder

Re: Why do you make models?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
This reminds me of a survey that Bo once conducted! I think I’m in a minority in that I actually also really enjoy looking at my models after they are complete. Miniaturisation has always Fascinated  and delighted me.... obviously the creative part and problem solving is cream on the cake! Cheers Matt

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »
About 7 years ago I came back to model building because I had a breakdown with panic attacks, strong depressions and suicide attempt. When I finally felt a little better, I wanted something that wouldn't burden me again, something I could always clean up or leave lying around.
I got the Revell London Bus and I felt better and better. My hands stopped trembling and I could sleep again. Now I spend about 2 to 3 evenings a week in my hobby cellar, sticking something together, make things look old and listening to some audiobooks.
In my opinion model building is the best thing to get a clear head and let your creativity run free.The result is completely secondary for me and usually ends up well packed in a cardboard box in the basement.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline IvotB

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:16:33 AM »
Alistair,

To me it looks almost thesame. I love opening the box to see what's inside, I like to build any model as good as possible and to see if I can improve it with extra detail. I love reading and thinking about the history of the original and prefer subjects that have a history in or around my country. I very much like doing something real with my hands and actually producing a tangible result in stead of working behind a computer screen (apart from posting something here  :) ).

regards,
Ivo

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:49:16 AM »
A strong reason is may be to learn something. I mean we can do things better with every step and every model. And learn from others, e.g. via this forum. And as engineer I like to research and understand technical solutions, if possible to replicate it on a model.
And with a model collection you can see the improvements over the time, and see good ideas taken over to other aircrafts and companies.

The result is completely secondary for me and usually ends up well packed in a cardboard box in the basement.
Manni, this is not possible for me!
I want to be able to see my models daily in the glas cabinet and show them at exhibitions: filigree, colorful, oily.

What I also wondered about and may be strongly related to the WHY question: why is model building mostly a mens world? Ok, there are some women, and I have the impression, that with figure painting and so on some more woman start into this hobby. But in general this is a men's world. (I know a girl flying RC helicopter, also a men's world).

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:21:47 AM »
I have been building since I was 7 or 8 years old. I Truly don't remember what got me started but what keeps Me going is the History, building Squadrons that can be traced from the First War to the present, and the Color schemes. I enjoy the painting Much More than the processes and will sometimes rush to the painting stage  :-[ I do find building relaxing, at least in between curse words when things are not going as planned. As for the results, Yes, I like looking at the collection in My cases and carefully arrange them by Jasta and Squadrons  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »
it's mostly about stories for me. i have a grim obsession with the dark places of history, and it doesn't get much darker than World War One.

also, i was obsessed with building models as a kid, up until about age 13.

i was a secondary school art teacher for a few years, and i structured the class so that students pitch me whatever they wanted to do, and if they could persuade me it belonged in an Art and Design class, they could do it. there were a lot of Maze Runner and Hunger Games posters, some paintings, package and product design, games in development, music videos... and a few models being built.

a couple of the kids were waaaaaaaaaaay into it, one Year 6 kid obsessed on painting Warcraft figures. he couldn't paint a picture to save his life... but when he painted Warcraft figures, (approximately 1/72) he was reeeeeaallly good. several were obsessed with Gundam stuff. one of them got really good, and progressed to some rather elaborate dioramas. another group of guys got into RC drift cars. so coaching them through this stuff must have reminded me what it was like to enjoy doing this stuff as a kid.

so  building models connects rather nicely with my obsession with the dark places of history, and here i am.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:42 AM »
     I first became fascinated with flying and becoming a pilot at the age of 5, and building model airplanes was a natural part of the dream. I assembled my first kit, a balsa and tissue rubber band powered Ryan Avion at the age of 6 or 7 and it actually flew for approximately 2 seconds before leaping into the ground and beating itself to destruction as the over wound elastic released it's energy!
   My first all plastic injected Kit was an Aurora Hellcat with approximately 12 parts at the age of 10 or so when the model was first released in their Famous Fighters series. I've been an aircraft modeller ever since through a 37 year career in the RCAF first as a Navigator and then as a pilot flying Fighters. About 40 years back I realized my greatest interest was in the aircraft and aircrew of the Great War and the Aviation History of that period, so like many here it is the history aspect that ultimately draws me to the model bench. I greatly admire and dwell on the bravery and dedication of the men of all nations who served in the air in that conflict, they were indeed a unique and admirable generation.
   Now that I'm retired and in the "Golden Years" (there's a false concept if ever there was one!) the building, research, and casual reading related to the hobby is among the few activities I still enjoy. Like Frank I too enjoy viewing my results behind glass and also competing in the odd model show where I can meet others of similar interests. As Rick has said, I find building the models relaxing and it's already brought me a lifetime of benefits and pleasure. Great topic Alistair, and I am sure it will generate a lot of good replies.
    In closing the interest certainly doesn't fade, there's an in progress model on my bench but already two kits sitting on the side board with notes, reference books, and lists of ideas ready to start, I just need to decide which one!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:07:20 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Alistair

You have asked what I regard as the single most important question in our hobby - why do we make models? and it's a wonderful reminder to all of us of why we devote so much of our lives to creating small replicas of old aircraft.

Your wife has a marvellous insight in what makes many modellers tick with her comment that it's the process rather than the end result that engages us. So true. I am always eagerly looking forward to the next build and sometimes lose interest in the current project if it does not progress at a good pace.

I've been modelling since the mid 1950s and love the fact that this hobby has stayed with me all my life. Despite various health issues including hand nerve damage and eyesight issues, I have never lost the buzz for challenging myself to make a scale replica of a subject that appeals- be it aircraft, tank, ship or figure.

I had eye surgery this week and the very next day was sitting at my bench practising some close up work with my nifty refurbished eye. I love models for the challenge in replicating the original in miniature or achieving complicated finishes while enjoying the fact that the whole process has nothing to do with work .

I cant think of a better hobby to enjoy and the steady release of exciting new kits means there's still a lifetime of new challenges waiting to delight us in the years ahead.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:28:12 AM »
Agree with all that’s been said..

I have very little interest in the models once they’re done - frankly I could chuck them in the bin! But always start the next full of enthusiasm and excitement. For me it’s definitely the process.

Totally agree with your sentiments Manni.. Modelling seems to be the only thing I do that completely disengages me from the world and I get 100% lost in the process. It’s a great thing to do for your mental health. I reckon they ought to dish out Airfix kits at mental health clinics...

Although, re finished models, I do have a hankering to one day build up a collection of small WW1 1/72 models.. I’d never end up displaying anything bigger.

Good topic!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 12:47:46 AM »
I want to chime in here with my story....will do so in the near future but for now I just want to congratulate you, Dave, on the excellent news on your surgery...what a glorious thing, eh...I can only imagine.          -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline aliluke

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 04:39:06 PM »
I am pleased that this topic resonants amongst us. Another little observation for me was when I brought up my finished DFW up from our downstairs studio - where I make - and showed it to my 18 year old daughter she glanced at it for all of 2 seconds and said "That's cool."  Another reminder for me...

Manni - it is great that model making has helped your demons go away - all power to you man!!! It was the same for me. When I was made redundant from a high level work position seven years ago I sent my despondent and depressed self into serious, full time, model making. All I thought about all day was the next detail and then I made it. I also made it out of some very dark times by the process. That is one model that I display with pride and it only brings a happy recall of the intensity of the making not the darkness under which it was made. This was that model https://modelshipworld.com/topic/392-armed-virginia-sloop-by-aliluke-finished-model-shipways-148/?tab=comments#comment-3937

I'm in a happier space now but model making still is the best way of meditation for me and that is a daily need.

Best wishes all - keep on posting!

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 01:50:45 AM »
aliluke that's a massive endorsement from an 18 year old daughter. Steven Tyler once commented that he--an ACTUAL ROCK STAR--was nowhere near cool enough for his teenage daughter. so you're ahead of the curve...

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »
For me the building process is just a small part of the fun. I can spend long time watching the completed models, comparing the types or the colours on the same type aircraft. Yes, the final product is more important for me than building. And when staring at my cabinet filled with models I also like to imagine the stories behind the aircraft, the pilots, their efforts in the Great War but also the technology started over 100 years ago and how rapidly it developed in the years 1903-1920, say. Yes, there is a lot of to think about in front of the model display. ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
Because my wife told me to.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence