Author Topic: WnW RE.8 and Roland D.VIa  (Read 19645 times)

Offline gedmundson

WnW RE.8 and Roland D.VIa
« on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:21 AM »
Hi folks - I'm working on a couple of WnW kits at the moment and decided to tackle the engines first. Detailing these engines with ignition wires is one of the parts of the job I find a bit challenging, and tried something different than my usual use of thin copper wire. I picked up some thin lead wire used for tying lures for fly-fishing at a local Cabella's (Sporting & Fishing supplies). The size is .01" and it seems to work great for this and also other wiring & plumbing in aircraft models. I used a larger diameter for the small line seen on the side of the Mercedes engine.

We'll see how everything paints up when I continue with both of these projects.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

Re: WnW RE.8 and Roland D.VIa
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:09:43 AM »
Looking great ! I will have to check out that wire as I am running out of Old Lindberg Motorized kits copper wire! Also cool to see another Dual build  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
Thanks Rick - I like to have a couple of builds on the go at all times to save on time and resources when airbrushing, painting woodgrain with oils, etc. Also nice to have something else to work on when sub-assemblies are set aside to let the glue dry, too.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »
Fantastic start Gary, looking forward to seeing your magic on these two beauties.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:14:51 AM »
Those engines look great, Gary.
I use beading wire from a craft store.  Comes in many sizes.  I most frequently use a 0.008" size.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 12:49:45 PM »
Gary,
    I've used the very same stuff. The main detractor I've discovered is that the wire is not at all rigid and I keep inadvertently knocking it out of alignment however I'm the first to admit that it's entirely self induced problems in my case!
    It's great stuff, how do you join it to the plugs?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 03:36:02 AM »
Ken Juan and Lance - thanks! I agree that the lead is very pliable and easy to distort.

To answer Lance's question about attaching the wire to the spark plug ends - I cement a very small styrene tab to the sliced-off tip of the plug, and top it off with a #15 Grandt Line bolt. I take the end of the lead wire and tuck it behind the tab, securing it with a tiny drop of cyano glue. If you squint hard enough it should resemble a crimped connection that's fastened with a nut...in 1/32 scale :-)

Painting the lead is just as much trouble as with copper wire, with final touch-ups at the end of the process. Even with primer, the wire will shed it's paint if bent a little.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 05:25:10 AM »
That is a super idea for ignition wires - another of the many gems that appear regularly on this site. Have you bench run those engines yet before you put them in the airframes?

Stephen.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »
Very nice engines and a great hint to take the lead wire for flyfishing.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 07:03:13 PM »
Looks really good Gary. I like the look of the lead wire as I assume it's very flexible to use? I've used florists wire and craft wire but the thin lead wire looks much better. Thanks for the tip!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
Never tried lead wire, it seems it would be easy to work with. Splendid results BTW!

Ryan
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:45:58 AM by Ryan »
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 03:48:37 AM »
My thanks to Stephen, Dave, Manni and Ryan for your encouraging comments.

To answer Dave's question - yes, the lead wire is extremely pliable and can conform to whatever shape you want. There is a drawback though - it distorts quite easily and one has to be careful not to squeeze too hard with tweezers when positioning it. If the wire gets too distorted one ends up having to redo the job.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 07:03:25 AM »
Good day to all, I did a bit more work on the Mercedes engine for the Roland. Almost done with it, short of a dull finish to add and a few chalk pastels after it's installed in the fuselage.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline UFAG

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 07:24:05 AM »
very, VERY nice....chapeau on the color, detail and weathering..

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 08:46:04 AM »
Spectacular engine, Gary!  Very realistic!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence