Author Topic: WnW RE.8 and Roland D.VIa  (Read 19910 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: WnW RE.8 and Roland D.VIa
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
Beautiful job on the wood effect , man that turned out sharp looking . Those figures are also impressive !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »
Beautiful job on the wood effect , man that turned out sharp looking . Those figures are also impressive !
Terri

Thanks Terri!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
With the top wing of the Roland now in place, the rigging is in progress. I'm using EZ Line and Uschi's "medium" line for the rigging, and RB Productions etched turnbuckles.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
Beautiful work, the wood fits perfect to the nice lozenge! Great work at all.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Borsos

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2020, 07:57:57 PM »
Wonderful work on the airplane and the figures!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline FAf

« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
I'm using EZ Line and Uschi's "medium" line for the rigging, and RB Productions etched turnbuckles.

Beautiful work!
Two questions if you don't mind. 1) Have you done anything to the turnbuckles except folding them? 2) How have you attached the rigging to the turnbuckles? Simply tied them?

Looking forward to the rest!
/Fredrik

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
Lovely work all around.
 ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2020, 10:33:42 PM »
   8)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2020, 12:42:17 AM »
Looks even better as a Biplane! Lovely work!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
Oh my ....

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
Thanks again to all those that took the time to look at the photos and send a comment - all very appreciated!

I'm using EZ Line and Uschi's "medium" line for the rigging, and RB Productions etched turnbuckles.

Beautiful work!
Two questions if you don't mind. 1) Have you done anything to the turnbuckles except folding them? 2) How have you attached the rigging to the turnbuckles? Simply tied them?

Looking forward to the rest!
/Fredrik

Hello Fredrik, you ask a very good question. I used to just fold the turnbuckles and paint them, but realized some would open up and get diss-formed during the rigging process. Now I run a bead of cyano glue around the folded pieces which helps in that case. The rigging is attached to the turnbuckles by passing through the line and placing a drop of cyano on the join, then a careful cut the excess off with a brand new #11 blade. In the case of the turnbuckles that are part-way up the line (ie. aileron control cables) I cut off the one folded side of the turnbuckle, and pass the line up and through the holes of the turnbuckle (on the cut-off side) then secure the turnbuckle in place with a drop of cyano at the center after placing it in position. After painting it, highlighting with metalizer, and squinting hard enough, it should look ok.

I do try and fasten the wing-side turnbuckles to the model with a twisted piece of copper wire, making sure that the turnbuckle is free to swivel and line up with the eventual rigged line. There is nothing worse than having a rigged line with the turnbuckle not in alignment with it.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »
Gary,
    Your work on the Lozenge is simply outstanding, the tapes are especially well done as is the rest of the model. You are really exceeding your normally stellar performance on this one, beautiful work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
Gary,
    Your work on the Lozenge is simply outstanding, the tapes are especially well done as is the rest of the model. You are really exceeding your normally stellar performance on this one, beautiful work!
Cheers,
Lance

Gosh, thanks Lance! Glad you approve. I always feel you're looking over my shoulder when I model...and try harder ;)  Always look forward to presenting my models to you at the next show (and of course seeing your masterpieces!).

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2020, 05:51:20 AM »
Gary,
Cheers,
Lance

Gosh, thanks Lance! Glad you approve. I always feel you're looking over my shoulder when I model...and try harder ;)  Always look forward to presenting my models to you at the next show (and of course seeing your masterpieces!).

Gary,
   I'll look forward to seeing this and that beautiful "Harry Tate" in Edmonton early June I hope. I may enter a Fantasy Figure or perhaps  piece of Needle Point in lieu of aircraft if you're bringing work of this quality though, the "bar" has gone up dramatically with your recent pair!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2020, 07:31:00 AM »
One of the details it seems often ignored on the Roland D.VIa kit (judging from the "Customers Models" photos on the WnW website) is the control line for the radiator louvers, exiting the cockpit and going up into the top wing. In a couple of cases, photos show this to be a small link chain, and in one instance a simple piece of wire. I made one from photo-etched chain, and made a small port from styrene for the exit, just forward of the cockpit.
Cheers,
Gary