Author Topic: Caudron G.4 Italian markings  (Read 3353 times)

Offline ermeio

Re: Caudron G.4 Italian markings
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 07:08:48 AM »
It is likely that they were french blue
I was involved in the restoration of two WWI italian aircraft and their fittings were french blue. Not Caudron, but if other types of italian origin used french blue fittings it is likely that it was the usual color for fittings.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
I was involved in the restoration of two WWI italian aircraft ....

... and hopefully you took some pictures that you’re going to share with us here?  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 06:58:28 AM »
yes, but it was before the digital era
I have them printed on paper, stored at home some 700 km from here :)
I hope to find time and money to have them digitized

Offline ermeio

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »
This is the Ansaldo Balilla cockpit still in its original colours.. as you can see the dashboard is painted in blue
other fittings were blue as well

Offline Borsos

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:39 AM »
This is a very interesting detail, thank you very much for sharing!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
Hi!
The project to build the G.4 in italian colors is really welcomed!
I have to add some comments to the ones above. The G.4 used by "Aviazione del Regio Esercito" were built under license by AER of Orbassano (near Turin). 51 examples were built and, of course, no blue french fittings. They had only red and green section under the wings and tricolor on rudders only on the outer side. Your idea to paint cowlings and wheels with our national colors is a fancy thing, but without any photo proof. The CDL was really near to white, you can see it in the photos. Humbrol 41 "Ivory white" is a good option.
The blue and white cockpit of the Balilla posted above was something of "special colors" applied only on the two a/c's donated by the Commerce Chamber of Genoa to Locatelli and Palli in a great ceremony. For a courious coincidence, they are the only Balillas survived until our days, one restored and held in Bergamo and the second held by Caproni's Museum in Trento, waiting for a decent restoration.
Hope useful!
Roberto