Author Topic: Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Trackpad

Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
I learned of Des’ passing a little over a year ago, as we all did. Des was a tower of strength to many of us on the Forum, certainly including me. I immediately expressed condolences to the Delatorre family from my wife Sharon and me. Subsequently I remembered that, some time ago, a number of us did a "commemoration build" on the passing of Dan-San Abbott. I then decided, with all due respect to the memory of Des and to his family, to use my Albatros build as a salute to Des and what he has done for me and so many of us.

I’ve tried to stretch my modelling limits as far as I can with this build. I can assure you, however, that I had more than a few challenges with it: plywood and nail lines decals, the “cleaning out” of the radiator along with the rigging come readily to mind. All in all, though, I’m satisfied with the result. After all, Des was watching and he gave me a helping hand when required (which was often).

Of course, starting at such an early date precludes me from joining the current memorial build. Accordingly, I'll place this small thread on the “Completed Models” section, and wish all participants of the current memorial build competition the very best of good luck with their endeavours.

I hope and trust that this personal tribute will find favour among our membership. Des was our guide and mentor in any number of ways, and it is most fitting that memorials to him are respectfully offered.

Blue Skies, Des!

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now forever taken from our sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

Many thanks to all Forumites who visited, suggested, critiqued, observed and otherwise assisted me with this very long project. I tell you true, Gentlemen, it was all most appreciated. And I would be very remiss if I did not thank Rowan Broadbent for putting up with my "gentle chivvying"  about nine years ago on the subject of  "Wouldn't it be great if Pheon could put out the decals in 1/32nd scale to match the then-new WNW Albatros DV so that I could build D4545/17?" Many thanks, Rowan! God Bless.   8)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:12:41 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »
Gary,
    As the Forum Moderator and more then just an "On Line" friend I want to thank and commend you for both your wonderful verbal tribute to Des and for this magnificent Tribute Build to a man who brought so many of us together in the hobby we all share. You and I have shared many great moments (and the odd ale as well!) these past several years and also share a lifetime of enjoyment of the hobby, you really put that vast experience to product in this magnificent project! I've enjoyed and am  privileged to have followed your progress here, and more so on our very special "Canadian Modelling Mafia" communications over the nearly one and one-half years of work you invested in it. The Albie is truly magnificent and I hope you enter it in CapCon this Fall, it's sure Gold on the competition table and I am certain of it's success.
    As a fellow "Display Only" participant I have to say you've placed the bar very high, an inspiration for certain.  Not bad for an old "Tanker" and Armor Buff ....... Just superb!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »
Lance,

Many thanks for your very kind comments. Rest assured that the Albi will be en route to CapCon in late September, and it would be "a good thing" if it is eventually successful. But the other, dual, aim has already been achieved in that I can post this completed build as a tribute to Des. A CapCon win would be icing on the cake, as it were. We'll just have to wait about six months to see what plays out. Thanks again, Airedale!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
Gary, that's a VERY BEAUTIFUL Albatros, indeed! I like ideas with a „twist“, like having that german „icon“ of an aeroplane , ornated with cockardes... Thank you very much! (And, yes, thanks to Rowan for the decals!)
Richard

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
A really fantastic build with a twist. I’m sure Des would be stoked with it! Cheers matt

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 06:44:18 PM »
Great tribute, great model, Trackpad.
Thank you for both, the text and the model! And good luck at the competition table!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Great model and great words!
Thank you,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:13:52 PM »
Good Morning, rhwinter, FokkerFodder, Przemol and Manni. Thanks to you all for your kind comments. I can assure you, as I have mentioned elsewhere, that they are most welcome. Please accept my best wishes for success with your current and future builds!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »
Beautifully built, painted , decalled, and rigged. Your Tribute to Des is a Total success! A very fitting tribute indeed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:57:11 PM »
Extraordinary build Gary and beautiful tribute to Des (gone but not forgotten).

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:35:36 AM »
Hello Gary - I have to echo the comments above on this tribute to Des. Your build is amazingly well done and photographed.
Cheers,
Gary Edmundson

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
Magnificent, Lance!  Des would love it!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

guitarlute101

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 11:35:21 PM »
Agreement with all above, beautiful work and tribute.

Mark

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:28 AM »
Magnificent, Lance!  Des would love it!
Cheers,
Bud

Er, Umm, Bud, Gary and I are only distantly related as former "Brothers in Arms" ......... I can't take credit for his magnificent Albie but I do hope to use it as an example of what mine should be! ;)
Cheers!
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 02:47:19 AM »
Hello, Rick, Juan, Gary, Bud and Mark,

Thanks very much for visiting and for your most supportive comments. They are very much appreciated. Thanks again!  8)
Cheers!
Gary