Author Topic: Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build  (Read 5504 times)

Offline calumet

Re: Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick answer Gary and Congrats for a well deserved Silver!!
Again, a real beauty and rarely seen with that British flavour..... :)

Cheers
Hans

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
Hans,

It is my pleasure, sir. Feel free to contact me or any Forum member if you have questions on anything you read here. You'll find that you are among experienced and friendly modellers, all ready to give a new member advice and assistance. 8) 
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
I'm late again , but congrats on a very well deserved award . She is a beauty Gary  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline calumet

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
Thanks for that very friendly welcome Gary, i already experienced great support from different members and would like to express that
i feel extremely homey & heartily welcomed from the first day here!
And it also does make a difference that a forum is exclusively dedicated to WW1 topics...
Btw I hope that my Jasta 17 Albi build, already listed here in the ''under construction'' section will be finished in the near future, though i have a brake with that build at the moment since i first have to finish a Spitfire build.

Cheers
Hans

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 12:07:06 AM »
I'm late again , but congrats on a very well deserved award . She is a beauty Gary  :)
Terri

Good Morning, Dear Lady. Thank you for your visit and for your very kind comments. Please do not concern yourself for being late because no one can be late to this thread: the build is done, we were fortunate in receiving an award, and anyone can access the thread to see what's here. So worry not, my friend, as you are more than welcome to visit at any time!  :)

Best Wishes to you, Terri, for success in all of your future endeavours, and many thanks again for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 01:25:36 AM »
Thanks for that very friendly welcome Gary, i already experienced great support from different members and would like to express that
i feel extremely homey & heartily welcomed from the first day here!
And it also does make a difference that a forum is exclusively dedicated to WW1 topics...
Btw I hope that my Jasta 17 Albi build, already listed here in the ''under construction'' section will be finished in the near future, though i have a brake with that build at the moment since i first have to finish a Spitfire build.

Cheers
Hans

Hi, Hans,

Thanks for your comment (among others) that will now steer me to your Jasta 17 Albatros. And good luck with your Spitfire!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 07:50:29 AM »
Great bit of modeling there.  I like the wood grain effect.  But I especially like the chipping effect on the cowling/spinner.

Paul

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
Hello, Paul, and thank you for visiting.

The spinner and cowling chipping was fairly easy. First I applied a coat of Tamiya gloss black. Then, when that was dry, I applied a light coat of Alclad2 Aluminium. Next, I daubed some MicroScale Micro Mask here and there over the surface. When the mask had dried, the light blue paint was applied, then left to dry overnight.

The last major task was to gently peel away the Micro Mask. Don't be surprised if small bits of blue paint come free from the boundaries of the Mask. With that done I used a small piece of sponge to apply random mud effects. Don't overdue this step: when you know that you want to do just a bit more, STOP! ;) You'll be happy with the minimal effect. Now you might want to airbrush a little well-thinned mud-coloured paint here and there, but again minimal is all you'll need.

That's about all there is to it. Give it a try in future: I'm sure that you'll be successful.

Best wishes for all future success, and thanks again for your visit!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
Hello, Paul, and thank you for visiting.

The spinner and cowling chipping was fairly easy. First I applied a coat of Tamiya gloss black. Then, when that was dry, I applied a light coat of Alclad2 Aluminium. Next, I daubed some MicroScale Micro Mask here and there over the surface. When the mask had dried, the light blue paint was applied, then left to dry overnight.

The last major task was to gently peel away the Micro Mask. Don't be surprised if small bits of blue paint come free from the boundaries of the Mask. With that done I used a small piece of sponge to apply random mud effects. Don't overdue this step: when you know that you want to do just a bit more, STOP! ;) You'll be happy with the minimal effect. Now you might want to airbrush a little well-thinned mud-coloured paint here and there, but again minimal is all you'll need.

That's about all there is to it. Give it a try in future: I'm sure that you'll be successful.

Best wishes for all future success, and thanks again for your visit!  8)
Thanks for this information Gary. I'll give it a try. The whole model is fantastic.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
Hello, Albert.

Thanks for visiting, and for your very kind comment. I hope that my explanation is clear and that it will help you as you try this technique. Take your time, don't try to rush your work, and I'm sure that you will be successful. If you have any questions just contact me and I'll help where I can. Good luck!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:00 PM »
Gary,
 I must of been living under a rock to not notice or acknowledge your wonderful Albie. Please accept my apology for not commenting earlier  :o

Lovely build all around. Love it!
Well done!!

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2019, 11:17:53 PM »
Hello, Bob, and thanks very much for visiting.

No apologies necessary, my friend. You as "Herr Bucklemeister" have helped me several times over the years, and I venture to say that you've helped dozens of Forumites over the same time span. I'm pleased to have received your very kind comments and I thank you for them and for your past and, most likely, future assistance. Best regards to you and yours, Bob, and best wishes for all good luck and future success!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2019, 05:22:17 PM »
I must have been under the rock next to Bob's,and wish to add my congratulations Gary,she's a stunner.I'm looking forward to trying your chipping technique on my next build,it's something I've never been satisfied with on my builds and your results are just what I've been aiming for.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2019, 09:45:53 PM »
Hi Dave. Thanks very much for visiting. I think that it's the length of time (about six months) between the end of the build and the competition entry that sort of camouflaged the "Return of the Albi." All to say that I am very grateful for the comments that I've received since late September. Thanks again for your visit and for your very kind comments: much appreciated!  8)
Cheers!
Gary