Author Topic: Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build  (Read 5502 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Abatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 04:08:02 AM »
That is a truly wonderful tribute in words and deed to a magnificent modeller. Your build thread was a joy to follow, and the result a pleasure to view and an inspiration for others including me, to follow. I too am building a tribute to Des and as Lance has written, you have set the bar very high indeed. I am certain that he would have taken as much pleasure form this model as the rest of us.

Stephen.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »
That is a truly wonderful tribute in words and deed to a magnificent modeller. Your build thread was a joy to follow, and the result a pleasure to view and an inspiration for others including me, to follow. I too am building a tribute to Des and as Lance has written, you have set the bar very high indeed. I am certain that he would have taken as much pleasure form this model as the rest of us.

Stephen.

Hello, Stephen, and thanks, both for visiting and for your very kind comments. I am happy that you have enjoyed the thread and have been inspired by it. I am honoured by the comment that I have "set the bar very high," but the aim of my project was to pay tribute to Des with a build that would last almost two years and then be entered into a regional competition at the end of that time. In the process I improved my skill levels a little and had much more time than, for example, you have in the current Memorial Build Competition.

I will certainly follow the various Tribute Builds with much interest, both to add a few more techniques to my armory and to marvel at the end results of the build threads. Best wishes to you and to all competitors  as you all take part in the competition.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

Re: Albatros DV "Captured!" - "Display Only" Memorial Build
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 06:48:05 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

As the last post on this thread was over six months ago, I thought that I'd place just one more posting on the thread to close it off.

You may recall that I said some time ago that I would like to place the Albi into competition some time in the fall to see what might happen. Well that regional competition took place yesterday, September 28th. Fortunately, I had had the time to make a few "amendments" to the model as it was pictured back in early March.

For example, here is an image posted back in March:

The error made here was so massively obvious that I never even saw it. I had been so fixated on getting the rigging correct that I completely missed the fact that I had not fitted the radiator hose from the wing rad to the front of the engine. Don't believe me?? Check back to the images on page 1 of this thread and you can see for yourself! It was only when Lance Carroll posted the images of his Memorial Build that the truth thundered over me like a herd of elephants. The hose got fitted as soon as I could find it, still in the kit box and stored in my cache. This incident is a prime example of "dodging a bullet!"

So here are two images showing the Albi as it stood ready for competition. All appeared to be in place, and ready for the fray:

Now came the question of a display base. I cobbled together a bit of wood, stained and varnished, then added a "Muddy" surface to replicate ground the Albi might have occupied in December, 1917. An RFC pilot took his place as a reference to aircraft size and scale, an engraved brass plate arrived as the method of description, and some decals added a bit of interest as a roundel overshadowed the Black Cross:

I was able to attend and to place the Albi into "Class A-11, Multi-Wing Aircraft and/or Rigged." Needless to say, with two wings and a bunch of rigging, the Albatros felt right at home.

The final count of competitors was eighteen, mostly 1/32nd scale and all of those Wingnut /wings offerings. The judges split the Class into  multi- and single-engined a/c, but that still left 12 to 1 odds for the Albi. Nothing to do but to help in the competition judging (not Class A-11, of course!), get the odd coffee and snack, and await the awards ceremonies.

Crunch time: the awards started and (wouldn't you know it?) my Class was announced quite early in the schedule. And, while I had stated many times that the aim of the build was to be a Memorial to Des, I was absolutely gob-smacked (gee, I do like that term!) when it was announced that "Captured!"  had come second out of thirteen and had won Silver in the competition!

And then it was over, and my Memorial Build had a very, very nice accent point for Des and all that he had done for the website, the Forum and all of our members. I felt quite satisfied, quite happy and quite honoured. Blue Skies, Des. This one is for you as well!

Best regards to all Forumites, thanks for visiting, and good fortune to you in all with your current and future builds.   8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:23:32 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 07:03:13 AM »
    Congratulations again Gary, sorry our group couldn't all be there for this one. A fitting tribute, a beautiful model, and a medal finish to add to the adventure!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
Congratulations, Gary.  Looks like you had some stiff competition.

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 02:58:49 AM »
Well done Gary! A really lovely build and a joy to follow too... Thank you for all your efforts in posting and keeping us informed! Regards, Marc.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 04:41:04 AM »
Congratulations, very well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 07:27:57 AM »
Great model and well deserved award! Sincere congratulations. Des would be proud of you!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
Hello, Lance, Kensar, Marc, Giuseppe and Przemol.

Thank you all for your very kind comments. Your visits only underline the excellent support we Forumites have for our members. I must say that I'm slowing down a bit (I'll shortly hit 75 years) but I still retain a very strong interest in the hobby. I still have eight WNW kits in the cache plus a Hobbycraft Nieuport and, all things being equal, I'll have them on The Forum in the fullness of time. Meanwhile, I'll visit and admire the builds of those younger and more talented than I am, and provide some support here and there.

Thanks again for visiting, and all best wishes to you and yours for good health, happiness and future success in all of your endeavours!   8)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:47:47 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »
Nice to see your beautiful Albie won the 2nd price. Very well deserved.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »
Hello, Mannie,

Thanks for visiting, and thanks for your very kind comments. They are very much appreciated. Best wishes for a great weekend!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline calumet

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 05:56:29 AM »
Worthy tribute & beautiful Albatros in every aspect!
May i ask which wood & nail decal set did you use?

Cheers
Hans

Bughunter

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
Congratulations for a great Albatros and the award!
Now I scroll back to the pictures :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 07:19:13 AM »
Hello, Hans, and welcome to the Forum. Thank you very much for your kind comments!

The wood grain decals come from Uschi van der Rosten. Here is the link to their page showing all of their wood decals:

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-wood-grain-decals/.

For the Albatros I used sheets 1006 and 1007. The nails decals came from another source but they are no longer available. However, I see that Uschi says that they have them now.

Best of luck with your future projects and, again, welcome!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 07:21:22 AM »
Frank, thank you very much for your visit and your kind comments. I do hope that you enjoy the pictures!  :D   8)
Cheers!
Gary