Author Topic: Completed: scratchbuild 1/32 Hanriot HD.2 completed  (Read 23524 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: scratchbuild 1/32 Hanriot HD.2
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
Time for an update.  It seems to take a long time to make progress when you have to make everything from elemental shapes.

Stick half done.  The Hanriot has duplicate control wires on the rudder and elevator.  The ignition cut off button is on the top of the stick.

Finished stick has the machine gun switch and bowden cable attached.

Beginning of the wings.  I laminated 5 layers of 0.020" plastic sheet and taped them around the glass bottle to give the wings some camber.  I am trying the Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue) for this.  I want to try this glue in place of the usual polystyrene glue because the polystyrene glue warps and distorts thin sheet polystyrene.  The wings will be cut out of this curved sheet.

The seat back.

The fuselage sides and the early control stick.  I thought the frame would be very flimsy without the side attached.  I might be wrong.  This won't make working inside the fuse easy.  Live and learn.

I've painted the fuse side and other parts with oil paint for the wood grain and I'm waiting for that to dry.
I painted the machine guns Model Master gunmetal, which is a black with silver metalflake in it.  I don't like the look, so it will get repainted to a semigloss black, based on pictures of Vickers MGs.

I'm seeing good progress with all the other builds!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
In a word....AWSOME!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »
Really nice framing and a great metal work on the stick.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Edo

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
wow!
i really admire your craftmanship!
ciao
edo

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 12:53:33 AM »
Jaw dropping.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 07:01:28 AM »
Graet to see another scratch build in this tribute to a master of the craft. Please can you give the trade name for the Gorilla glue as I too would like to use it to laminate thin plastic sheets. The control stick is extremely good - I really admire that.

Yes making ll of the parts really makes scratch building a slow process - but worth it in the end.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 10:56:57 PM »
The Gorilla glue did not work out.  It did not cure between the layers and delaminated when I started cutting it.  I suspect it needs some exposure to air to cure.  So, I have laminated sheets with liquid styrene glue, which worked, and I have the top wings laminated.  I now am waiting for more styrene sheet to make bottom wings with.  I plan to skin the top of the wings with thin styrene that has the rib pattern embossed on it, ala Woodman.

guitarlute101

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 11:07:51 PM »
Excellent work on your project, enjoying following along.

Mark

Offline kensar

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 11:12:11 PM »
Thanks, Guitar.  You're doing some great work on the Gotha.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
 Ken,
Very impressive bit of Scratch Building my friend. Keep up the outstanding progress .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline kensar

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 02:10:25 AM »
Update time.

It certainly complicates construction when building the fuse in halves, instead of building the framework and then skinning it later.  However, progress is made...

Basic fuse sides.  Wooden framework painted, CDL sides.  I put CDL decals in the first bay behind the cockpit since it should be more visible.

Seat Framing and fuel tanks added, and a prominent detail - the throttle slide mechanism and rudder bar.  Air intake tubes to be added later.

Added more details - throttle mechanism.  There is a tank behind the pilot's head.  I hope it is an oil tank and not a fuel tank in that location.  If its a fuel tank, that would give me the willies fighting the enemy with a fuel tank on my back!  The line from the tank with a valve is visible on the left cockpit side.

I have laminated plastic sheeting for the wings like Des typically did and planned to skin the tops of the wings with a thin sheet that is embossed with the ribs, ala Woodman.  I have not made progress on the wings as the fuse has my complete attention at the moment.  This is one of the wing skins.  The bottom of the wing will have masking tape rib tapes since they don't stick out of the surface as the ribs on the top of the wing.  At least that's the plan.

Anyone know if the Hanriot had an air pump on the right side of the cockpit?  I can find no pictures of that side showing one, and I don't see any prop driven air compressor on any of the struts.
I'll be doing some weathering and putting the other side of the fuse on soon.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 02:16:48 AM »
Coming along really well so far , love the detail so far !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
Beautiful interiors, I keep these as future reference. As for the tank, I think it's a fuel tank behind the pilot's headrest (was very usual to put fuel also under the seat, also in the subsequent decades) and I suspect there was no air pump: gravity feeding and maybe a mechanical pump withing engine gear, no tank presurization. But just my guess based on the few picture I've seen from the H.D. interiors that don't show any hand pump.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
exquisite detail...better than any kit I have seen!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 04:42:02 AM »
Some absolutely stunning building here, Ken! The fuselage is beautiful! Quite the masterful touch... I hope the wings come out OK... the old method by Harry Woodman with the wooden former inside, double sided tape then the embossed card worked really well for me... maybe he had something with the formula... Regards, Marc