Author Topic: Pfalz DIII / DIIIa 1/48 Group Build After Build  (Read 27387 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Pfalz DIII / DIIIa 1/48 Group Build After Build
« on: February 05, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »
Mates, I am extremely happy to join this group build, I miss Des a lot and I want to dedicate this build to him.

I chose to have a double build based on the Pfalz DIII / DIIIa 1/48 kits I have.

The DIII kit is the old Eduard kit and it was a gift (very appreciated) from Rob Hart. He put in the box the man in the moon decals I will be using for this plane: Jasta 18 Hans Burckhard von Buttlar. Avelin, January 1918 (he changed his marking to the hunting horn in February). Rob was the one who pointed me to this forum in 2012 from the glorious Swanny's forum and this is also a way to finally thank him after a long time!

The DIIIa is a Blue Max kit, I have no idea yet of which livery it will have, I was thinking to the winged sword of Werner Hertel - jasta40, but I will examine the decals both kits provide and decide.
I guess some aftermarket will be needed seen the age of those kits....

At the moment I am taken by a non WW1 build and I should be able to complete it by the end of this month, so I will start my build(s) from March.

I'm going to post some pictures of the kits this evening.

Ciao

Antonio
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:24:13 PM by andonio64 »

Online RAGIII

Re: Pfalz DIII / DIIIa 1/48 double build
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
The Pfalz is a lovely aircraft and Eduards kit is not bad although it is not quite up to todays standards. I am sure you will do a great dual build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »
Thanks for replying Rick...
You talk about the Eduard Kit... I will show the Blue Max one... a lot worst!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »
Hallo guys,
here are the usual introductory photos, the two kits are very basic, the Eduard (1996) is better than the Blue Max which is much a lower quality.

Here we go:

EDUARD:

Sprues "side A"

Sprues "side B"

Detail of the cockpit side panels

Detail of the top wing radiator

Engine PE fret, acetate sheet

Decals: Man in the moon with pipe (rob Hart gift)

Decals in the box (I found two identical sheets)

Instructions

BLUE MAX:

Sprues "side A"

Sprues "side b"

Detail of the top wing radiator

Engine

Many pieces in white metal (I don't like the struts and the undercarriage being so thin and subject to deformation... )

Detail of the white metal Spandau MGs (acceptable)

Basic Decals

There is no instruction sheet, only this "certificate"

This is the version I will make for the Eduard kit

Still don't know about the other... both have the winged sword of Rudolf Berthold, I would prefer to have a different colour schema.
As I said I was thinking to the winged sword of Werner Hertel - jasta40 is anyone willing to get rid of his winged sword (in 48th)?

I also thought to use the Alfred Lenz Jasta 22 decals from the Eduard kit to make a silver plane, but it is a D III while the Blue Max kit is a D IIIa...

Open to suggetsions, I have time before I start.

Antonio

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:40:16 AM »
Hi Antonio, not one but two builds! And of a really beautiful aircraft - just love it! Also very interesting to see you tackle a Blue Max kit - these were quite state - of - the - art in their day, but have been surpassed for sure - but still very worth building! And very interesting for us as we follow along!

Regards,
Marc

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 06:55:33 AM »
The Pfalz DIII were the most elegant of the fighters, and here are two on their way. Graet choice, good luck with the build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:48 AM »
 Antonio,
Outstanding choices my old friend. I've no doubt your Pfalz's will absolutely beautiful. The best of luck to you.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »
Wow, I missed the Blue Max entry for some reason. You are a Brave soul tackling that Blue Max kit. I am sure you will do it up right!
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:31:41 AM »
Thanks everybody, your kind words are encouraging!
I have found in my decals box some Decals of the different Carlos Meyer Baldo planes (see picture attached), I bought them because I like the drooling bulldog markings.
He was using a DIIIa in Jasta 4, and it's a silver livery with the black spiral band wrapping the fuselage.
I chose this as second livery.

There are other different interpretations of this livery but I dedicde to follow the one proposed by the Aztec leaf.

Should anyone have different information please let me know!

Antonio

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:39:32 AM »
The Jasta 4 scheme should look terrific! Looking forward to your build even more now!
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:59:34 AM »
Oh, that builds are a heavy task! Even the Eduard is one of the first kits of that company after starting with accessories.

The later new tool D.IIIa kit is a real gem, I build it already twice. It is now also some years old, but still a great kit on a very high level compared to the latest kits.
There were also a variant with a new sprue containing D.III fuselages (I own a Limited Edition dual combo), but it was later no more available up to now. May be the tool is damaged. In opposite the D.IIIa was released very often as Profipack and Weekend.

My deep respect to try to build those old beasts. (Me would drop it to bin and buy one of the new releases.)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
You all are right guys, the kits are outdated and have a poor overall quality, I would give Eduard a 6/10 mark and 4/10 to the Blue Max, but I have those boxes in my stash and don't want to spend more money purchasing new tools.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:36:57 PM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:06 AM »
Hallo friends,
here are some aftermarket stuff I purchased before starting the real work. I am now ready to weigh anchor.

I got the Black Dog detail kit, essentially because I needed the exhaust, but I will evaluate if the other parts are worth to be used on the DIIIa Blue Max
Gaspatch Spandaus for the DIIIa

Pavla 1/48 Engine to replace the Blue Max one

Some Windsock Datafile

And here are the instructions to use the Aztec Decals

Antonio

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 04:07:55 AM »
Some nice accessories to make things easier, there, Antonio! I do like the black spiral... Regards, Marc

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 04:35:08 AM »
Some nice accessories to make things easier, there, Antonio! I do like the black spiral... Regards, Marc
Yes Monty, I also have purchased a couple of jars of GERMAN PFALZ SILBERGRAU MISTER KIT  GC17 for the DIIIa.
I am a bit worried by the black spiral, but will manage it in some way.

Antonio