Author Topic: Completed:WNW Fokker DVII 1/32nd scale: Jasta 4.Ernst Udet "DU Doch Nicht"  (Read 31431 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Fokker DVII 1/32nd scale: Jasta 4.Ernst Udet "DU Doch Nicht"
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 06:03:30 AM »
First, thanks for all of the encouragement! No need to go into the history of Du Doch Nicht but I  will now "Officially" go over my choices on Manufacturer and scheme. Funny thing is I know from my poll that at least half of you will not agree  ::)
1. OAW built from the first production run.
2. Red and White stripes on the upper and lower surface of the upper wing.
3. Red Fuselage with Black Nose
4. Chevron on the upper tail
5. NO white stripes on the fuselage decking.

I have been involved in and read most of the arguments on this Machine so lets just agree that NO ONE can prove anything! My final decision was based largely upon what Jasta 4 was flying at the time as well as Dave Roberts discussion in The Fokker DVII anthology Vol 2.

QUESTION:
So my first actual photos. I will be using the Aviattic Lozenge for the lower wing surfaces. Next comes the challenge. I have identified the panels seen in the photos as the proper ones from the OAW sprue. My issue is which radiator to use and which upper cockpit decking. ( None of the choices in the WNW OAW DVII utilize the early panels or exhaust) If all else fails I will go with the similar items from the early Fokker built example as they were very close to the early OAW in Most respects. Any assistance is appreciated!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:28:33 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 04:54:11 PM »
Unfortunately I can't help you with your questions, Rick, but I like the choice of your subject (Revell's 1/72 Fokker D.VII „Du doch nicht!“ Was one of my boyhood's heroes..!) and your decisions concerning the look of Udet's plane. Looking forward to your build!
Richard

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 05:43:33 AM »
Maybe the instructions from the WNW decals for Karl Thom's aircraft may help?
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3083

Good luck with your build!

Jeroen

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 05:47:29 AM »
Hey Rick, don't have an answer to your question.  All I can say is have fun with it, we will reap the rewards.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
Maybe the instructions from the WNW decals for Karl Thom's aircraft may help?
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3083

Good luck with your build!

Jeroen

Thanks. Although the engine is different I will have to check on the other parts.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
The decal instructions verified I had selected the proper cowl panels and helped clear up the rest so again thanks for the link! Here is some of My reference for the build. I am starting with the wings figuring if I don't get the stripes right I can go to plan B  8) This is my 5th WNW DVII and I noticed a Small issue I had not seen on any of the previous builds. The upper wing trailing edge scallops did not match up so I had to do some filling and sanding on the scallops. ( Seems like the upper half was just a fraction shorter chordwise, on the scallops). Next up Aviattic lozenge on the lower wing and some nice red and white stripes on the upper.

RAGIII

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:15:15 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 12:38:36 AM »
Looking forward on seeing how the stripes turn out  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 06:17:39 AM »
Looking forward on seeing how the stripes turn out  :)

Terri

A belated thanks T!.

So having finished the Nieuport build I went back to this one. As seen above I am using the Dave Roberts drawing in the Windsock Fokker Anthology as My pattern. I enlarged the drawing and did some basic measuring and began to mask. All went well with no major touch up needed.... until I counted the stripes and realized I was one short of what Dave says you need, 32 instead of 33  :-[ So I guess I will wait a day or two and strip this and re-paint  :'(
RAGIII

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
Hi Rick,
We are our own worst enemies - I'm guessing like me it will bug you unless you get it sorted.
It's a real shame as what you've done looks really good, especially with the risks involved in masking.
Whatever you do, this model is looking to be a stunner,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 08:19:21 AM »
I agree with Mike Rick: but I really wonder a) how mny people would know how many stripes there should be and b) how many people would count them even if they knew the correct number?

That aside I know how much yo wish to make an accurate replica - hence the strip and repaint job! Good luck with it - the first attempt looked near perfect.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 08:25:54 AM »
I agree completely with Mike and Stephen.  It looks perfect as is, but if you must, you must...
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 08:27:40 AM »
Oh, yeah.  Forgot to mention, you could post the same photo in a day or two, say that you fixed it, and no one would be the wiser. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
Thanks not only for the compliments but on giving Me reason for thought. I also received this comment from Aviation Artist and Modeler Robert Karr on FB.
" You know- that one heavily retouched photo is ( so far) about all we have to go on, and the more you fiddle with that picture and draw a gazillion lines on it, the more you realize that there's no 100% perfect information to be tortured out of it. Better men than I have tried plotting these stripes, but in my own several attempts I came up with anything from 32 to 34 stripes. IF you're happy with how your stripes look- I'd just say go with them!"

In addition I checked Greg van Wyngardens Drawing in Fokker DVII Aces book and he has 32 stripes although he leads off with white on the right wing tip and of course did the stripes black  8)

I will ponder this for a day or two  :o
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »
RAGIII

Then re-post the last photo, indicating the corrections....

Cheers,
Bud

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
RAGIII

Then re-post the last photo, indicating the corrections....

Cheers,
Bud

;D
RAGIII