Author Topic: WNW: how many kits do they have left?  (Read 48565 times)

Offline Ringleheim

Re: WNW: how many kits do they have left?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:29 AM »
My take has always been that lots of folks buy and collect WNW kits, but few actually build them.

That probably doesn't apply to this particular forum, but this forum is mostly a blip on the scale modeling world at large.

I think supplies of WNW kits on Ebay and other similar venues will remain available for a long time to come.

The question is what prices will do.  After an initial panic phase that we are in now, I think prices will stabilize.

As an aside, I wonder if WNW plans to do something with all of their remaining kits in the warehouse, other than throw them on a bonfire and eat the loss.

I could easily see them moving their entire stock over to a giant online retailer like Sprue Brothers, or maybe divide them up between S.B., HLJ, Modelbau Koenig, etc.

Just a handful of huge retailers who will have the resources to buy whatever is left.

I had my eye on the Albatros "Bavarians" boxing with all the great decals, but never bought it before this whole thing blew up!

I already had several boxings of the kit and just never pulled the trigger!

Such is life!

I'm hoping those kits will end up for sale at S.B. for a short time at some point.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2020, 03:09:32 AM »
those are both really nice sets of decals but wow!

I do regret not purchasing that particular WNW set when first available - was so hoping they would re-run it and include with the DVII kit like they were doing with the Albatros reboxings.....
-Patrick

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
Hi all,
I have noticed a few prices on EBay. It’s out of control but watched a few auctions over the weekend. The prices if you have US dollars weren’t bad at all for long OOP kits. I opted out of bidding due to cost after exchange rate and taxes (and I remember the original prices!) If these factors weren’t there I would have tried to get them. I’m not sure about UK prices they seem pretty high. Will watch items I’m bidding on. I think you’re right, once the frenzy dies down things will stabilise a bit.

I’m also still banking on them re opening/ re-selling in some form. (?)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:59:10 AM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2020, 10:51:07 AM »
Holy smokes - things are getting crazy out there for WNW stuff

$125 USD for a single sprue???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-Wingnut-Wings-D-VII-OAW-Sprue/333607349755?hash=item4dac8c2dfb:g:rN8AAOSw08FeysDL

‘Tell him he’s dreaming’ (Aus quote) Edit: Just noticed it’s an Auction, I guess he’s laughing not dreaming!

I thought about this Sprue to do an OAW with early boxing. But thought ‘nah’ why spend an extra $20 when how many people will notice or care? Not me anyway.

Who knew?!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:22:10 AM by Pup7309 »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
those are both really nice sets of decals but wow!

I do regret not purchasing that particular WNW set when first available - was so hoping they would re-run it and include with the DVII kit like they were doing with the Albatros reboxings.....

I was thinking the same thing. Seems they would have done it. Different versions so not as simple as Albatros/ Pfalz but they would have sold big time. Maybe WNW2 might still sell them if the boxes were already shipped and got stuck in a dock when Covid hit. It looked like this happened with the Clerget Camels.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:01:30 AM by Pup7309 »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
Hi all,
I have noticed a few prices on EBay. It’s out of control but watched a few auctions over the weekend. The prices if you have US dollars weren’t bad at all for long OOP kits. I opted out of bidding due to cost after exchange rate and taxes (and I remember the original prices!) If these factors weren’t there I would have tried to get them. I’m not sure about UK prices they seem pretty high. Will watch items I’m bidding on. I think you’re right, once the frenzy dies down things will stabilise a bit.

I’m also still banking on them re opening/ re-selling in some form. (?)

Another quick survey on watched UK EBay listings: I’m out!

Offline Dave J

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
I even think that is crazy for a Sprue :o
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2020, 04:28:24 PM »
Speaking of crazy prices, there's a Gotha G.IV on eBay, when I last checked it was up to £580.
Cheers Mark

Offline macsporran

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
Dave, if you'd only known, you might have been able to take your severance pay in kits at trade value. You'd be able to retire now!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »
Speaking of crazy prices, there's a Gotha G.IV on eBay, when I last checked it was up to £580.
Cheers Mark

That’s really insane... We all should buy tulip-bulbs instead. Crisis-proof investment....

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline smperry

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2020, 01:13:16 AM »
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they try applying those and a cross arm folds under and rips when they try to separate it from itself. OTOH, anyone moron enough to cough up 300 bucks for a sheet of decals will probably hang on to them until they turn yellow and disintegrate from old age. A total waste in all likelyhood.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2020, 04:57:31 AM »
Would have been a better investment buying a cutting machine! :)