Author Topic: WNW: how many kits do they have left?  (Read 48310 times)

Offline Dave J

Re: WNW: how many kits do they have left?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »

Like hedgehogs during the winter, WNW are merely hibernating.

WNW kits will fly again, albeit under what name we'll have to await.

I highly doubt that.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline aliluke

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
Sorry I have to agree with Dave :( No one has the capacity to pick up the WNW baton without tons of money, a total commitment to an odscure subject and an equal commitment to an obscure hobby. Bye bye Wingnuts - you will be missed by us much poorer obscurists! Thank you to all the team at Wingnuts for putting the kits, to date, in the pool. They are utterly remarkable in every respect! I wish you all the best for your future in different pursuits.

A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »
I agree it is unlikely Wingnuts as a complete entity, (under it's own, or another name), is likely to be seen again. If sold, nobody in their right commercial mind would pay much for the moulds for the wonky Gothas, or indeed many of the obscure DFW, AEG, Jeannin etc types: those that wanted such types will have mostly bought the first releases and the market will be flooded.
No, if PJ were willing and able to sell moulds (which is of course by no means certain,) I'd imagine any future re-releases would be much more like the Revell reboxing of a few individual popular 1/48 Eduard types - Brisfit, Albatros, etc. So we might get the Albatros, Pfalz, SE and Camel Scouts and maybe, just, the new Dr. I - from Revell or Italeri or Misterkit, or,or, who knows. I doubt though we'll ever see the gooney birds again. (Thank God!!!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:08:38 PM by macsporran »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
I think we need some tools to answer these questions...
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Dekenba1

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 11:13:57 PM »
A new owner of WNW's mould's doesn't even have to like WWI modelling. They could prefer modern jets (perish the thought!).

My point is that WNW have around 50 moulds (I haven't counted), all 100% completed, each with accompanying - superb - instruction manual already designed, box design already completed, bits of PE already completed. The research to back up the decal choice is also there, as is a relationship with the retail trade & a very committed customer base.

In fact, there has been PE developed for at least some kits that, if available, would improved the kits - the mythical "special editions".

If I were to run WNW, I'd continue with the Eduard "Overtrees" approach and price them accordingly. No instruction booklet, no PE, no fancy box. Just the sprues. For those with spare decals & instructions from a previously made kit.

I'd re-pop the existing moulds "as is" and release those as "standard kits" & priced accordingly.

I'd look to continue developing the "Special Edition" kits, adding PE, brass barrels, resin wheels, etc, and that would be premium priced.

I would also look outside the WWI era. Not WWII - that's saturated - but pre-WWI and inter-war. The 1920's and 30's had some beautiful aeroplanes that, if available at all in 1/32, come in resin.

I'd also start a database of WNW builders, utilising it to communicate directly with builders, depending upon how many kits are sold. It would indicate demand for certain kits, provide real-time kit feedback, help pricing, etc.

Just like WNW, the actual sprue manufacture would be subcontracted, the printing would be subcontracted, the boxing would be subcontracted. WNW  does the designing & makes the decisions, but undertakes no manufacturing themselves. This allows you to run the business with a small team & screws overheads to the floor.

That's what I would do.

I'm going to raid my piggy bank, check my disposable income.

£87.12 down, only £1,995,912.88 to go!

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 12:55:11 AM »
Could we beg Jeff Bezos to step in. After all he's just made an extra $24bn dollars, think he could afford it. We'll run it, just need his money.  ;D
Cheers, Mark

Offline petrov27

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 01:30:36 AM »
I just wish there was more news of what the heck happened or an official statement from PJ. It is all so disappointing given how amazing the whole WNW trip has been.....
-Patrick

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 08:37:03 AM »
I agree.  The somewhat sudden nature of this with the HP's on final and the Dr.I's in the pattern did not make sense.  I looked at the NZ Corporate records filings, similar to a US secretary of state's office and saw that PJ was the director and that He and Fran Walsh were the only shareholders.   The only other rumblings would be the changes in distribution, the mis-cue with WETA warehouses in the US and Europe, to change to normal hobby distribution; and perhaps some of the staff shake-ups late last year.  So, I do not expect to ever hear the unvarnished story.  It is a shame. But for a passion project to be deep-sixed suddenly and to fold up, it was likely significant.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:10:05 PM by Captain Slower »

Offline Dave J

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 10:38:19 AM »
From my experience from being employed within the group, I highly doubt that anyone will see the molds any time soon. I know there are people making moves for them currently, but I highly doubt that PJ will let his toys go.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
I am writing a detailed feature article on the closure of Wingnut Wings.
This will be uploaded soon.
Stay tuned folks!
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 05:06:39 PM »
From my experience from being employed within the group, I highly doubt that anyone will see the molds any time soon. I know there are people making moves for them currently, but I highly doubt that PJ will let his toys go.

Dave, do you think it likely he will reopen the website and sell of the inventory?

thanks again for the Rumpler sprue you sent me a while back, and also thanks again for not charging in spite of my kit being an 'as-is' warehouse damage.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 08:03:16 PM »
Stay tuned folks!
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Looking forward to it!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 09:33:49 PM »
Stay tuned folks!
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Fantastic!  Tired of being in the dark!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 10:53:29 PM »
Stay tuned folks!
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

thank you. please make laminated hard copy available, i don't want to ruin my laptop by weeping on it.

Offline fruibal

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 03:41:13 AM »
We need somebody to step forward and shed some light on this, and really some information on the WNW closure would be more than welcome. On the other hand, I believe WNW are defaulting their loyal customers by not being forthcoming and transparent with the current situation, we customers deserve to know the truth as we are part of the chain market of WNW.