Author Topic: My first WNW build- the Albatros D.V, in the homestretch  (Read 8087 times)

mike in calif

Re: My first WNW build- the Albatros D.V, in the homestretch
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
I just tuned in, and in a word, very nice work, and I really like the woodgrain through the paint you've achieved.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »
Great work. Looking forward to the next installment.

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
This is a beautiful build so far. I like the woodwork on your model and found the Radu Brinzan website. It seems a good idea, judging from your result to use these. It seems to me easier than the decal method, although there are excellent results achieved here too.

There are so many beautiful Albatros schemes on this forum, that I start to get tempted to build one myself.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:20:09 AM by IvotB »

Offline Vickers

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
Thanks again for your comments!  I finished the rigging on the Albatros last night, using Bob's Buckles for the eyelets, Gaspatch Turnbuckles, and EZ Line. I haven't had a chance to order the new Gaspatch Albatros style, so I made do with their standard version. That evolution went quite quickly, but I did make a mistake on the stays that run from the nose to the bases of the vee struts in that the turnbuckle should be at the nose. I was gleefully attaching turnbuckles to the struts and forgot about that- they're tightly clustered and I fear an attempt to correct that would result in damage, so I'll live with the error.

A couple of photos show the homemade device that I use to check alignments, just a piece of card paper with one vertical and a series of horizontal lines. It was not easy to steady the camera though, so my vantage point was slightly left of the model and the optics caused some paralax. Everything lined up pretty nicely with little help from me, since I don't have an assembly jig- the credit must go to WNW for their precision in design and production.

Although I was quite pleased with the upper wing and landing gear alignment, the gear legs were very wobbly and the model leaned to starboard by about 3 degrees. I used stiff .012 brass wire for the undercarriage rigging to correct the tilt by making the left wire about .75mm longer than the right and now the gear is solid. A short 60-degree bend into the fuselage to secure that end while the other abutts in a depression on the gear leg. I didn't actually measure the wires, opting intead for the "cut it close then test, trim back, and repeat as necessary" method and got lucky on the first go. I opted to attach everything raw, so willl have to paint all of the rigging bits in situ.

The spandaus are enhanced with the metal parts from Master Model, using the WNW parts for the breech. So, here are the latest pics:

There have been some fiddly moments and I'll have to touch up a few small chips in the paint, but I've really enjoyed this build.

Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
Great work. Nice simple jig for eyeballing alignment. I used to use the straight edge of my workbench to check straightness etc but that paper/lines idea is too easy to pass up!! Thanx!!!

Steve

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:29 PM »
Lovely build, the colour scheme looks great, well done Vickers.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »
Phenomenal job all around, Vickers.  Hard to believe it's you first WNW build.  Excellent rigging.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:06 AM »
  Vickers,
Outstanding project my friend. You may be new to WW I aircraft modeling but you're sure not a newbie to modeling. Well done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »
Wow!  ;D You have really done a fantastic job with this! Very impressive! I'm in the process of building my first WnW Alby D.V as well and this thread will help tremendously. I look forward to reading many more build logs from you  :) My only regret is that I just found it today and not sooner.

Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline mgunns

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »
Hello Vickers:

Very nicely done.  Your simple parrallel line alignment chart is brilliant.  You may want to go back and align your turnbuckles so the angle of the turnbuckle is the same as the angle of the rigging, if that is possible.  This really turned out nice your wood grain is really nice.

Looking forward to more of  your build logs.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline michael

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:26 PM »
Great looking model there Vickers - nice job

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
All I can really add is another "Well Done" ! Looks terrific!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »
   Really nicely done Vickers. If this is how you start modelling WWI topics, I can hardly wait to see your subsequent efforts.
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 09:12:13 AM »
Very nicely done sir. The transluscent woodgrain thing is very real looking. I have an Albie to try that on.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »
Beautiful build! ;D  Thanks for sharing yet another colorful Alby scheme. ;)

Regards,

Bob